FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Greatest SF Novel? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What Greatest SF Novel?
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the List: (* if seconded)

Ender's Game*
Speaker for the Dead*
Nueromancer
The Lathe of Heaven*
How Few Remain
Dune*
Earth Abides*
The Mote in God's Eye*
Ringworld*
Childhood's End*
Rendevous With Rama*
Rama II*
1984*
There are Doors
On the Beach*
The War of the Worlds
Titan*
Fail Safe
Foundation*
Cat's Cradle
Dawn*
A Wrinkle in Time*
The Giver*
Brave New World*
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?*
Eternity
Starship Troopers
Legacy of Heorot*
Gateway*
Double Star
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress*
Left Hand of Darkness*
Kiln People
More Than Human
The Man in the High Castle*
2001 a Space Odyssey*
The Anubis Gates
The Book of the New Sun
Flowers for Algernon*
A Boy and His Dog
Stranger in a Strange Land
Slaughterhouse Five
A Clockwork Orange
The Stars My Destination*
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Where the Late Sweet Birds Sang
Red Mars

Newly, really newly updated.

[ August 12, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Erik, I suggest that from now on you update the list at the beginning of this page and just post that it's updated. It's easier to fallow... [Wink]

[ August 11, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

But fallow hasn't expressed any preferences.... [Confused]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

fallow, follow... And I put a [Wink] smiley ! I've lost my funny... [Cry]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

It happens. And just when you least expect, it comes back. [Big Grin]
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Gateway. Even though when I read it I was way too young for the sexual content.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Erik, I could easily be misunderstanding your conversation with porter there, but it *seemed* like you were suggesting that novels were superior to short stories. Were you saying that, or did I misread. If you were saying it, I have to say that I disagree pretty strongly; in fact, most of my favorite pieces of fiction are short stories or novellas. I had kind of a hard time coming up with novels I felt comfortable listing in the "best" list, but my only problem with short stories will be narrowing the list down to a managable level.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Not at all. Novels are not better or more significant than short stories, Or posts for that matter.

But they are two separate things, and, following your suggestion, I intend to do the same for short stories once this mess is over with.

I love several short stories as much as any novel.

Noemon
Member # 1115

That makes more sense. I thought that I must have misread you.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, ooh, I forgot a favorite one. How about Flowers For Algernon. Not hard Sci-Fi I know but what else would it be classified as?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I still refer to that Novel when talking about Alzheimers.

A great novel. [Big Grin]

punwit
Member # 6388

Obviously I'm a Sci-fi whore. I spread my affection indiscriminately but I just thought of another classic, Harlan Ellison's A Boy and His Dog
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

And one of my favorite movies.

"She had good taste." [Big Grin]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Speakder for the Dead is my favorite book in the world. But, for argument sake, I throw these four books into the ring:

1. Stranger in a Strange Land
2. Slaughterhouse Five
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. The Stand

If I can only nominate one, I'll go with Stranger, since it has the most "science" out of the bunch. [Smile]

[ August 11, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we anti-nominate a book?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I don't see why not. Not that it will affect anything at all, but it's a free country.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
All wrong:

"The Stars My Destination", by Alfred Bester

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Alfred Bester -- wasn't he the Psi-Cop on B5?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll second The Stars My Destination.

You know, I don't think I've ever gone to more trouble to aquire a book than I did that one. I searched for an affordable copy of it for years, back before the Internet made it easy to do something like that. Honestly I was more than a little disappointed when I finally got to read it, but it wasn't because of any failing of the book itself--I'd just built it up past any possible level of achievable greatness in the years I spent searching for it.

Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Canticle for Leibowitz"
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds Flowers for Algernon*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Kibitzing is also used as friendly banter in gaming

And here I thought it meant living on a communal farm in Israel! [Wink]
*laughs* No, that would be kibbutzing. [Wink] To kibitz is to heckle or chide, and can be used both to indicate snide or bantering tone.

quote:
It's the influence of the fair rivka, I tell you!
What did I do now?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I second "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and "I, Robot".
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL] Yeah, that's why I put the winking smiley--I was afraid that someone would take me seriously.

I was also worried that someone would actually think that I liked Battlefield Earth, but happily that comment seems to have been either overlooked or taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

[ August 11, 2004, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I actually thought you were serious about the book. But everyone is allowed to be totally wrong on occasion. [Wink]
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker for the Dead.

Non-Orson material: Not sure if it counts but I LOVED "Darwin's Radio," (hated the sequel) and I loved Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" series.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I second Flowers for Algernon and Brave New World.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Really rivka? Just for the record, I think that Battlefield Earth may be the *very* worst SF novel I've ever had the unfortunate expereince of reading. It is horribly, horribly bad.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Alfred Bester -- wasn't he the Psi-Cop on B5?
I just figured it out! Alfred Bester was a Psi-Cop on Babylon 5. But first, a more different Alfred Bester wrote The Demolished Man, a book which was obviously the template for Babylon5's telepaths.

I'm not going to nominate it for best novel, but I highly recommend The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, written in 1953.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Also, I nominate Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm.

Oh -- also Red Mars.

[ August 12, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Noem, I haven't read it, but I've heard enough about it to be glad of the fact. [Wink] But I do know at least a person or two who have affection for the book. [Dont Know]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I read the first 1/4 of the book, and it seemed OK...

But I got distracted and never got back to it, so it could have been that great...

Noemon
Member # 1115

I've always been a sucker for the whole "humanity pulling itself up from the ashes" subgenre, so I was really predisposed to like this book. It's been over a decade since I've read it, so the details are pretty fuzzy for me at this point, but I remember that among other problems, the book had the most poorly drawn aliens I've ever seen.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What do you mean? John Travolta is a decent-looking guy. [Dont Know]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] porter
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Beren, I'll second Slaughterhouse 5, if you second Cat's Cradle!

-Bok

[ August 12, 2004, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Bumpdated.
Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only CJ Cherryh fan?
I'll nominate Cyteen.

[ August 12, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Vera ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Kiln People.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I read Battlefield Earth about a quarter century ago and don't remember many details other than the fact that it was gigantic. I don't think I would call it the worst I've ever read but I concur that it doesn't belong on a list of best Sci-fi novel ever.

[ August 12, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

What would you call the worst, punwit?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's hard to say what the worst is -- bad books just don't stick in your brain the way good ones do.

I've read some stinkers in my day, but I cannot bring any to mind right now.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang." I don't think it will win, but darn that was a good book.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury.

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I've had books I just couldn't finish. Those are the ones I would slap "the worst" appellation on. While I don't remember much of the story simply the fact that I was able to digest the whole thing removes it from my "worst" list.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I read a book that was called Guerilla something, that was sooooo bad that I knew I'll never read anything (SF) worse than that. Up to now, it proved true...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Wasn't it though, SO? I love that book.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Beren, I'll second Slaughterhouse 5, if you second Cat's Cradle!

Done my friend.

I Beren One Hand, hereby second Cat's Cradle... so on and so forth. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I hereby nominate Kilgore Trout's Mouth Hungry.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
The Worthing Saga
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.