FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glynn's "I work for a hotel so you should listen to what I say" Hotel Tips.

Author Topic: Glynn's "I work for a hotel so you should listen to what I say" Hotel Tips.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Muhaha...

1. Bring your own towel. Hotel towels suck and there will never be enough for you. Be sure to hang it up when you're done.
  2. If you don't have a cell phone, or access to one, then do bring a calling card. You don't want to pay for those hotel charges. Whoo!
  3. Don't sit on the comforter. Most hotels only clean them 4-5 times a year, and then only if someone barfs or bleeds on them. So, if you plan on lounging around, pull the bedding off and sit on the sheets. Those were washed and bleached and put down after the last guest left.
  4. If you want your sheets changed every day, let the front desk clerk know. He/She will allert the head housekeeper who will, in turn, tell the housekeeper to do it.
  5. While we're on sheets. Check them when you get into the room after you check in. You never know if you got a lazy housekeeper.
  6. Don't chat with the night auditor. He/She will just be polite and listen to you, but they have a lot of crap to do and don't need to listen to you ramble on about the weather or some other nonsense.
  7. Don't leave cash lying around the room. While most housekeepers are honest, you never know. Also, a lot of housekeepers do get tipped, and they may misconstrue your 5 dollar bill next to the ash tray as a gratuity.
  8. Don't leave anything behind! Trust me, it's not worth the effort trying to get it back. Also, a lot of housekeepers do pocket stuff and don't tell the boss about it. This causes me many headaches.
  9. Cell Phone chargers always get left behind. Don't forget yours. (We have a huge bag full of the at the hotel.)
  10. If you do bring some bedding or pillow or something, try to not bring your favourite. If it gets lost, you won't feel as bad.
  11. Ninjas are cool
  12. Remember to respect other hotel guests. If you're up late and not doing anything that needs to be clandestine (underage drinking or somesuch) go to a Denny's or something and be as loud as you want. The other guests will appreciate it.
  13. If you plan on smoking pot in your room, at least put a wet towel under the door. We can smell it.
  14. Don't clog up the drive up. If you have to do something that takes time, just park and walk it. You need the exercise, tubby. There are hotel carts for unloading your car. Sheesh.
  15. Yes, we can hear you having sex in the next room. Hope you're having fun. Sounds like it.
  16. Booze is your friend.
  17. Don't shout down the hallways. Most of the sound comes into the room through the door.
  18. The fitness center is not a jungle gym. Don't entertain your children there.
I'll come up with more later. Too tired and grumpy after another long night of dealing with guest's crap.

[ August 11, 2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve.

Good advice.

Howvever, from #6, I take it that YOU are a night auditor! <grin> Years ago I actually worked at a motel nights, and I actually liked it when people would come talk to me.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips!

Perhaps I should do one for when folks call Customer Service on their mail/internet orders...

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course! NINJAS!!!

Your insights intrigue me.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

#1 tip for people calling a computer (PC) helpdesk:

* BE IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER YOU ARE CALLING ABOUT.

Now, you would think that's a given. But you would be surprised how many people call us and say, "My computer is doing thus and such"

and I begin to say, "Well, let's try this: [insert instruction here]"

Only to have them reply, "Oh, I'm not at my computer right now. I'm at home and it's my PC at work (or vice versa), or it's my brother's PC at his house, etc."

<SIGH>
I'll bet every one of us could make a "tips" thread for our job..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Another helpdesk tip--if the tech on the other end of the phone is telling you to type something into a text field, and one of the words he says to you is "backslash" he wants you to type the "\" character, not the word "backslash".

Another one--Your computer isn't psychic. If none of the people you intended to invite to your meeting received an invitation, and you didn't put any names in the "invite" field, there just may a connection there.

From my fast food days--
If you order a cheeseburger, there's no need to specify that you want cheese on it. Similarly, if you order a "plain hamburger", there's no need to add "with nothing on it".

If you are considering actively trying to run me over in the parking lot when I'm taking out the trash, it's worth keeping in mind that I'm the one who's going to be cooking your meal in a few moments.

Please, please don't leave a severed, semi-mummified cow's leg draped over the drive-through kiosk. Really, what are you thinking?

Yes, it's true, if you get your food, sit down, eat it in plain sight of the person working the register, then get up and tell him "I threw up--I want my money back", you'll probably get your money back, even though both of you know that you're lying. You will be going to hell though, just for the record.

Yes, the Italian Runza has black olives in it. No, those aren't roach wings. Didn't you ask about this last week?

No, the soup of the day isn't really "Cream of E. Coli". It's "Cream of Broccoli". Somebody just thought it would be funny to change "Broccoli" to "E. Coli" on the "Today's soup" chalkboard. Okay, it was me.

[ August 11, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

1. Don't leave your party trash in the hallway. Seriously, I still don't get why people do this. Talk about no class.
  2. If the desk clerk tells you the hotel is sold out... IT IS SOLD THE FRICK OUT! Don't keep asking whether or not there is a room available. THERE ISN'T. Also, if one hotel is sold out, most in the area probably are too, and the desk clerk is far too busy dealing with a full house than to know whether or not there is a hotel with availability nearby. So don't ask about that either. Seriously, just say "thanks" and leave. Don't argue. We're not racist or anything else. We WANT YOUR MONEY, so we have no reason to turn you away unless we can see that you're strapped, fool. So stop with that "man, you racist" bullsheat.
  3. If the desk clerk tells you that, in order to do something, he/she needs a deposit, don't freak out. The deposit is refundible. Look up the word in a dictionary. You'd be suprised at its definition, methinks.
  4. That stuff that's "free" in the hotel is and isn't. Yes, it's not directly part of the bill, but it does add to the cost of the hotel room, thus driving the minimum rate higher. Also, with all the cool, free stuff, the hotel is in higher demand and, once they've met cost, everything else is profit, so they'll suck every red cent out of you.
  5. Dogs are cool and, if you're lucky enough, your hotel might allow you to keep a pet with you (in a non-smoking room even!), but please, PLEASE, don't leave the animal alone in the room all day. Yeah, it's more humane than locking it up in your car, but that doesn't mean it isn't a danger to hotel employees and guests. Also, the dog is lonely and will bark all day which, just like sex, the rest of the guests can hear.
  6. Don't take pictures of yourself in the opposite sex's clothing and stick it under the door of high school boys or girls. I might have to hit you with a pipe, and that wouldn't feel so good for you, would it?
  7. Yeah, your pimped out ride is sweet, but the rest of us could care less how much noise it can make with either stereo or by the spinning of wheels while in place. So don't.
  8. Also, don't drag race in the parking lot. You might hit some old lady and end up in jail. Besides, I'm awake while you're asleep and might just slash those $600 tires, jackhole.
  9. The cops in town are my buddies. We chat at night and generally keep things cool around town. Piss me off and I'll have them here in two minutes. I'll let your "recreational drug use" slide unless you try some stupid crap with me.
  10. Don't try and rob me. (see above)
  11. I will not give you a discount for using the hotel room for an hour to do whatever it is you want to do (be it animal vegetable or mineral). Start dealing with paying full price for messing up my sheets.
  12. I can and will give you 17 wakeup calls per night if you are a jerk.
  13. Prostitues are ugly and full of VDs. Don't let them touch me!
  14. Blah blah blah.
  15. I don't care if you're a regular. I treat everyone the same: like they're inferior beings.

[ August 11, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From my fast food days--
If you order a cheeseburger, there's no need to specify that you want cheese on it. Similarly, if you order a "plain hamburger", there's no need to add "with nothing on it".

False. False. Oh so false. Utterly false. I say this as someone who eats far too much fast food.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Should be true. Was at my restaurant.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
274. Don't go barefoot in your room. Going barefoot is a good way to pick up a fungus or find somebody else's drug needle.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Somewhere, this turned from honest tips for KamaCon visitors to ranting about the stupidity of most hotel guests.
Mabus
Member # 6320

You would not believe the number of times I specify a "plain hamburger" (or "hamburger with just mustard", depending on the amenities where I'm eating) and have the cashier ask whether I want a particular topping--or worse, add toppings without asking.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kids these days! Why, when I was a boy, we'd have served up that mustard burger right quick, no questions asked! With a side of please and thank you!

::mutters about the collapse of civilized society, hunts unsuccessfully for dentures, wanders off gumming lips, patting himself down for the dentures a second time::

[ August 11, 2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

But seriously, that sucks Mabus. There are definitely just as many fast food horror stories from the customer's perspective as there are from the employee's perspective.
Mabus
Member # 6320

Yeah.

From a lot of people's perspectives it sounds silly--what's so terrible about finding lettuce in your burger? But, as I've stated before, I'm well-nigh carnivorous and find most burger toppings to be quite nasty. (Pickles and onions are right out.)

And there's always the chance that you're serving a person who's allergic to something or other. I remember when I was six or seven I was getting these kid's magazines, and one had a story about a girl with gluten intolerance. She would order burgers without the bun and the cashiers would just stare at her. (This was in the days Before Atkins.)

[ August 11, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh] Glynn loves his job! I can tell!
[ROFL]

FG

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somewhere, this turned from honest tips for KamaCon visitors to ranting about the stupidity of most hotel guests.
First post?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You wound me.
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a hotel clerk be helpful enough to know where the only available rooms in town were. Granted I was in North Dakota and all the rooms for 2 hours were basically taken. I think the desk clerk felt really sorry for us. I mean how often are ALL the hotels in a state almost filled up? Thanks to that super helpful person we got a place to sleep and it ended up being discounted for some reason.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
10) Ninjas are cool
11) Remember to respect other hotel guests.

If you are a Ninja sent to torture, maim, or kill another guest, isn't that like, incompatible?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Maybe I was talking about these ninjas?

Yay for GIS.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
On plain hamburgers:

I seem to have a really hard time feeding myself as a hamburger purist. Really, all I want are pickles, tomatoes and lettuce, but that can be extremely hard to communicate.

Me: I'd like the number 4 please, without mayonnaise or mustard.

Guy: I'm sorry, the number 4 doesn't come with mustard.

Me: Oh, crap. Can I have it without kethcup then?

-OR-

Me: I'd like the number 4 please, without any sauces.

Guy: Um, which sauces?

Me: *sigh* Which sauces do you put on it?

Guy: Um, red sauce, fiesta sauce, and peligro sauce.

Me: Ok, with none of those please.

Guy: No red sauce either?

-OR-

Me: I'd like a plain number 4 please

Guy: Plain?

Me: Plain.

Guy: *hands me a patty with no bun*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
They have hotels in North Dakota?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
You wound me
'Tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church door, but ‘tis enough, ‘twill serve’.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask for me tomorrow and you shall find me a grave man.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Annie--next time you're in Nebraska, go to a Runza. You almost certainly won't run into any trouble like that.
katharina
Member # 827

*admiringly* They're quoting Shakespeare...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
For further reference, if I'm stopping you because you're trying to get into a rated R movie and you're underage, it's not because I'm racist. It's because I'm doing my job.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

ummmmm Runza Hut... (Noemon has just made my mouth water...)

Farmgirl

Noemon
Member # 1115

I am peppered, I warrant, for this world...
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Who chants a doleful hymn to his own death?
katharina
Member # 827

*pat pat*
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're not racist or anything else. We WANT YOUR MONEY, so we have no reason to turn you away unless we can see that you're strapped, fool. So stop with that "man, you racist" bullsheat.

This reminds me of something that happened at my work one time. I'm a pharmacist, and there's a law that when we're dispensing controlled substances (narcotics and the like) we have to ask for the ID of the person we're giving it to. It's the law, but it sometimes makes people really mad. I sometimes get responses like "well, everybody here knows me" or "they've never asked me before" or "I've got credit cards and my student ID from high school" or "I don't have it, but I really need my medicine." Sometimes minorities will even pull the race card. As we all know, there's no way of winning that argument. You can spend all day getting defensive and telling them about your black and asian friends and your Filipino adopted kid or your donation to the UNCF, but it will never be enough to convince them. All it does is take the conversation away from needing their ID, which is all part of their cunning plan.

I work with another pharmacist. He's not a racist, but he has a pair of brass spherical objects in his pants that I lack. One time he was having a hard day dealing with loonies and he encountered this very situation. He was dispensing a narcotic to a middle-aged black woman and asked for her ID. She had her race card on standby and immediately launched into a noisy tirade. "Oh, you askin' me for my ID? You didn't ask that white guy for his ID. You gotta ask for my ID because I'm black? What are you, RACIST?!?!" As I said he's not, but he knew this was an argument he couldn't win, and he didn't have time to try. So he turned to her, looked her right in the eye, and said, "yeah, I'm racist. Now let me see your ID."

He got no further trouble out of her.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, working with customers is fun. When I used to work at a grocery store, this would happen just about every night after we closed.

Someone would walk up to the doors and noticed that they were not opening automatically. They would then try to pry them open. When that did not work (since they were locked) they would check the store hours which were posted to the right of the door. They would then start knocking until one of the employees cleaning the store came to the doors and asked the customer what was up. They would then say "Are you closed?"

It would drive me crazy...what would make you ask such a stupid question. If the doors are locked, and the sign says that we close at 10:00 and it is 10:30, then chances are we really are closed.

One day one of the baggers got sick of the question and said "No mam, we really are open. We just wanted to try an experiment to see how much money the store can make if we leave the doors locked and refuse to let any customers inside the store." Lol, the look on her face was priceless.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Holy Popsicle Farts! Governor Jim Doyle is staying in my hotel! He's also a jerk, but that's another story. Holy Moses! This was normal back at the Hyatt, but I work at a borderline-roach motel.

Weirdness.

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
As a guy who sells cell phone chargers and other miscellaneous chargers, do yourselves a favor. When you're travelling, try to use a mobile charger, something that stays in your car. Buying a new cell phone charger will cost you $10 to $20. A digital camera charger will be $20 to $50, depending on which company's brand name you're paying for. Laptops? At least $50. That's IF you can find it in the store. Nothing pleases an electronics store more than selling customers the same thing over and over again.

If you can't, add it to your list of things to check for before you leave.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who doesn't work, I want to just...

Oh, wait. *runs away*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes minorities will even pull the race card. As we all know, there's no way of winning that argument. You can spend all day getting defensive and telling them about your black and asian friends and your Filipino adopted kid or your donation to the UNCF, but it will never be enough to convince them. All it does is take the conversation away from needing their ID, which is all part of their cunning plan.
Curse their fiendishly clever minds! You've already told them you have colored friends, what more does it take to show you're not racist!?!?
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I once ordered a cheeseburger with nothing on it (meaning plain) at McDonald's for Operaetta. They gave her a burger with no cheese.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.