FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Foot pain - at what point should I see a doctor?

Author Topic: Foot pain - at what point should I see a doctor?
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am away from home and haven't been able to get in touch with my parents, and didn't know where else to ask.

For the past five or six days, I've had a lot of pain in my left foot. It mainly only hurts when I am walking or put other pressure on it. I get a very sharp pain accross the top of it, beginning just below second toe and going up toward the ankle. I haven't even been able to walk with the foot flat on the ground, and have been sort of walking more on the edge of it.

For the past two days, it's also started hurting on the left side of the ankle and the back of the ankle, but I thought that may just be a result of the odd way I've been walking. If I put too much pressure on it that pain also shoots partway up the calf.

There's no swelling or bruising, and I haven't switched shoes or anything like that. Since the pain seems to be getting worse every day (possibly because I've still been doing a lot of walking) I figured it was time to ask.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
have you considered acupuncture? I've heard that works in some cases.
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

There is no way I am voluntarily sticking anything sharp into my foot, but thanks for asking.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

dietary regimen? pill?

some pains need addressing with more than the grin'n'bear it approach.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you wearing good shoes?

Do you remember any injury to the foot over the last couple of days?

Can you stay off it for a day or so?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

My shoes are fine, I think.

Actually, I did take a bit of a fall last week hiking, but the pain didn't start until at least four days after.

It looks like I won't have much of a choice but to mostly sit around tomorrow due to the weather, so perhaps that will help a bit.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty serious, I think you should go see a doctor. I've never had pain on the top of my foot before, but here's my best guess:

quote:
Stress fractures - Stress fractures are partial breaks or cracks in a bone. In the feet, stress fractures usually occur in the second, third or fourth metatarsals. It will hurt to touch the top of your foot; if it doesn't, you don't have a stress fracture. Swelling may occur but usually doesn't.

Causes - Stress fractures result from chronic stress to the bone, usually from prolonged overtraining or switching from running on soft surfaces to running on hard surfaces.

Treatment - If you suspect a stress fracture, see a sports-oriented physician for a bone scan. Don't run at all for six weeks. That's how long it takes for the bone to heal completely. If you try to run on it sooner, you'll only prolong the healing period. The good news is that stress fractures usually heal without any complications.
Linke

Here's a diagram of the top of the foot if it helps.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

It doesn't hurt any worse when I touch the top of the foot. When I said pressure, I meant when I step down with it or put weight on it.

I will try searching around a bit for what it may be.

I really appreciate the help, folks.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access to a massage therapist, that might help. If it doesn't, definatley call the Dr.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, fallow, this really isn't the kind of thread for your shenanigans. I'll overlook your marginally humourous and largely idiotic postings in threads of other kinds, but when someone is looking for honest help about a physical or mental ailment, your "stuff" isn't funny in the least. If you were a real person instead of some idiot hiding behind internet anonymity, I would long since have kicked you in the crotch or hit you with a bowling pin. So shut the crap up.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

I think the lass makes a good point. Massage.

... and some thought about a change of footwear.

fallow

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Call me skeptical, but aren't massage therapists a little underqualified to offer anything other than temporary relief for the problem? I mean they spend what... two weeks in their training? I say, if you can get to a doctor covered by whatever medical insurance you have through your family, do that first. If it's so insistant and won't go away, that's probably the safest thing. I foot massage might just make matters worse since the person performing the massage has little or no knowledge of what he/she is doing so much as what it is they were told to do during their "extensive training." You're a student, right? Do you have some kind of free clinic on campus? The school I went to did, and they offered all kinds of free advice and medical help to students.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on the nature of the injury.

If it's muscle tension and soreness from relatively new over-use, it can be good, coupled with an icepack.

If it's a fracture, the shrieks of pain will convince you it's a bad idea.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
The podiatrist is the only doctor I've ever walked out of the office feeling better than when I went in. If you have insurance so it's no big deal to go, Jeni, I highly recommend it.

It could be something as simple as you not walking properly. I have a pair of inserts I put in my shoes (I'm flat footed) that make walking SO much nicer. That's it. I walked up and down the hall so the doc could see where the weight goes. Then he made a cast of my feet with the cloth strips like when we made masks back in primary school. In a week or so, I had my inserts. Totally painless.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"The podiatrist is the only doctor I've ever walked out of the office feeling better than when I went in."

Any podiatrist you can walk away from is a good one. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Geez, Beren, it was only a little in-grown toenail. It was infected and hurt like crazy, but it wasn't that bad.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Massage therapists get a whole lot more than two weeks of training. Then again, I suspect that most therapists would be unwilling to do much if you are experiencing the kind of pain Jeni described.

I bet they'd recommend that you see a doctor . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.