FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My eyes are glued to this so far (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My eyes are glued to this so far
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
and

ENDGAME: The Blueprint for Winning the War on Terror by Thomas McInerny and Paul Vallely

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
nmda <- can I get a scoop?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
nm d ra?

err ray?

ray

del ray

KINDA LAME

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Fitz I've heard of that book and it was in my audiobook wishlist for a while. It sounds like a great story! I can't wait to read it... if only I could find the time....
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished War of the Worlds last night and well, not sure what will be next yet.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Just posted a thread about it - Odd Girl Speaks Out by Rachel Simmons
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm halfway through a Storm of Swords from the Ice and Fire series. I can't wait to finish so I can read the spoiler thread!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Jingo by Terry Pratchett.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wyrms (by OSC) again. Actually Ivygirl is reading it aloud to me -- she started that on the way home from KamaCon -- reading me a story to help me stay awake and alert while driving...

On the way up to Kamacon, she was reading me random articles from all her Guideposts for Teens magazines..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Something Rotten, by Jasper Fforde.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey -- who was it at KamaCon that was reading the book about animal behavior (specifically big cats, I think)? What was the name of that book? I want to read it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
huis clos

-i'm on my way outta here...

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Becoming a Tiger. Am now on the lookout for new book for after I finish Vanity Fair.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapterhouse Dune
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Thanks Kat! That was the name of that book!

Farmgirl

gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
"the mayor of casterbridge" by: Thomas Hardy.
I just finished "the invisible man" by H.G wells, it was a huge disapointment.
I'm on this huge classic english lit thing right now.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading the fifth Harry Potter book.
*rubs eyes*
I guess I have to get back to my life now.
*sigh*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I read HP5 about 6 months ago. Took me at least a week. I plan to read all of Maps in a Mirror by October.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Prentice Alvin - Just unwraped it. Let's see...
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I read taht back in 9th grade, 2001, it good.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I tossed Left behind and read the Kindaichi case files instead. Its an awsome manga by TokyoPop.
I really recommend it.

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
nothing... snifff... no time right now. But hopefully I'll be reading the next book by Elizabeth Haydon soon, I just finished Rhapsody the other day and would like to see what happens next.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started Enchantment by OSC. I also went to Half-priced books last night, so now I have six more books to choose from after I'm done:
The First Chronicles of Amber - Zelazny
The World According to Garp - Irving
Streets of Laredo - McMurtry
Pastwatch - OSC
Dune Messiah - Herbert
Rebekah - OSC

All of those for just $31! Two are hard-cover. Which should I start first?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Amber novels. There was a decent thread about them a couple of months ago.....

I liked them, but they were written in a day and age when all oof that seemd new. I would be intersted in hearing what you think of them.

Then again I read them 15 years ago.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading Tolstoy's War and Peace . I've always wanted to read it. Does that mean I'm crazy?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell,
No! It means you're brave (of course, courage and craziness sometimes go hand-in-hand!) [Wink]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm brave and crazy. I can live with that. [Wink] The book is pretty good so far.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing...I'm in search of something new to read. I've got some Christian nonfiction to read, for a small group study coming up, but no fiction on my plate at the moment.

I think I'm beginning to have withdrawal symptoms....I've read everything in the house and don't want to buy anything new and since the kids are home with me every day, I can't go to the grownup part of the library and leisurely browse anymore. I'm stuck over in the "Early Childhood" room.

I've been enjoying YA lately, anybody read Garth Nix's Sabriel series?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Centennial by James Michener. Tough read. I barely understand half of what i read. I'm planning on starting the Davinci Code next.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Sandra Brown's Exclusive. Yeah, it's smut. Smut with plot, I like to call it. I got a whole stack of 'em. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
From Here to Eternity by James Jones
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Divine Secrets of the ...Never mind. Forget I said that.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, Kwea and whoever else might be interested: I finished the First Amber Chronicles. I have to be honest here - I really didn't enjoy them that much at all. They were ok, but I didn't get excited when I thought about picking up the book every night. I never felt "close" to Corwin or any of the other characters, and that kinda bothered me. It didn't bother me when people died, and I just kind of wanted to finish and be done with them. [Dont Know] What does everyone else think about them?

space opera

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*bump*

My sons just received their copy (which I pre-ordered from Amazon) of The Two Swords by R.A. Salvatore, so they are all happy now.

Personally, I'm now reading, Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, and it is a very emotional, moving story.

By the way -- DKW -- I also got that GRUNT CD about a month ago. We have loved listening to it!

Farmgirl

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
The Annotated Sherlock Holmes.

Reading the annotations, mainly. I just read the stories recently, and realized I bough the Annotated book for a lot of dough on eBay and never read the notes! [Eek!]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm stuck on trying to finish up The Elegant Universe. It started out great, but now it's just plain incomprehensible. I have a strong urge to just put it down and get back to some good fiction, but I'm stubbornly refusing until I finally grasp this stuff.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only in the middle of three books right now; I finished one last night.

Ender's Game (I'm perpetually in the middle - I hit the end and start over)
Dune (ditto)
The Great Hunt (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Book Two, for the unknowing)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hearts In Atlantis
Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 

Religion and the Rise of Western Culture, Dawson.

(woot!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter Rockwell: A Biography
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Great.

I'm reading "The Cat Who Tailed A Thief".

You couldn't ask this when I was in the middle of something profound like Dante's Purgatorio, or even Agatha Christie.

Nope, you ask when I'm reading brain candy about a guy who can't figure out who the bad guy is without the help of his psychic cat.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Great.

I'm reading "The Cat Who Tailed A Thief".

You couldn't ask this when I was in the middle of something profound like Dante's Purgatorio, or even Agatha Christie.

Nope, you ask when I'm reading brain candy about a guy who can't figure out who the bad guy is without the help of his psychic cat.

Hey! I love Qwill! And Koko. And the other cat. Yum Yum or something. I haven't read one of those in ages... maybe I'll steal one of my mom's when I go home this weekend.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Gormenghast, Mervn Peake

Stupid UBB Code, can't we just have HTML?

[ October 21, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting until November 2 for Days of Infamy by Harry Turtledove to be followed by Homeward Bound also by Turtledove.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading this thread.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Trying to read Blood Canticle by Anne Rice, and am reminded of why I stopped reading the Vampire Chronicles.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
The memory of earth and xenocide

[ October 21, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Crewel Yule by Monica Ferris (murder mystery, 6th in a series all centered around a woman who owns a needlework shop)
The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert - really having a tough time with this one, though

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rereading "Blood of the Fold" by Terry Goodkind

I'm also reading "The Overmountain Men" by Cameron Judd. Its a historical fiction novel set in frontier times.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered the new Martin book...according to Waldenbooks it is available....

right... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am partway through:

Religion and Ethnicity in Canada (Bramadat and Seljak)
Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie)
Aeneid (Virgil), both English and Latin
Is There a Duty to Die? (John Hardwig)
And assorted other textbook readings for class.

EDIT: Belle, I love all those books. Have for years. woo hoo!

[ October 21, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.