FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My eyes are glued to this so far (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My eyes are glued to this so far
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I read taht back in 9th grade, 2001, it good.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I tossed Left behind and read the Kindaichi case files instead. Its an awsome manga by TokyoPop.
I really recommend it.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
nothing... snifff... no time right now. But hopefully I'll be reading the next book by Elizabeth Haydon soon, I just finished Rhapsody the other day and would like to see what happens next.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started Enchantment by OSC. I also went to Half-priced books last night, so now I have six more books to choose from after I'm done:
The First Chronicles of Amber - Zelazny
The World According to Garp - Irving
Streets of Laredo - McMurtry
Pastwatch - OSC
Dune Messiah - Herbert
Rebekah - OSC

All of those for just $31! Two are hard-cover. Which should I start first?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Amber novels. There was a decent thread about them a couple of months ago.....

I liked them, but they were written in a day and age when all oof that seemd new. I would be intersted in hearing what you think of them.

Then again I read them 15 years ago.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading Tolstoy's War and Peace . I've always wanted to read it. Does that mean I'm crazy?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
Derrell,
No! It means you're brave (of course, courage and craziness sometimes go hand-in-hand!) [Wink]

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm brave and crazy. I can live with that. [Wink] The book is pretty good so far.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing...I'm in search of something new to read. I've got some Christian nonfiction to read, for a small group study coming up, but no fiction on my plate at the moment.

I think I'm beginning to have withdrawal symptoms....I've read everything in the house and don't want to buy anything new and since the kids are home with me every day, I can't go to the grownup part of the library and leisurely browse anymore. I'm stuck over in the "Early Childhood" room.

I've been enjoying YA lately, anybody read Garth Nix's Sabriel series?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Centennial by James Michener. Tough read. I barely understand half of what i read. I'm planning on starting the Davinci Code next.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Sandra Brown's Exclusive. Yeah, it's smut. Smut with plot, I like to call it. I got a whole stack of 'em. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
From Here to Eternity by James Jones
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Divine Secrets of the ...Never mind. Forget I said that.

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Kwea and whoever else might be interested: I finished the First Amber Chronicles. I have to be honest here - I really didn't enjoy them that much at all. They were ok, but I didn't get excited when I thought about picking up the book every night. I never felt "close" to Corwin or any of the other characters, and that kinda bothered me. It didn't bother me when people died, and I just kind of wanted to finish and be done with them. [Dont Know] What does everyone else think about them?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

My sons just received their copy (which I pre-ordered from Amazon) of The Two Swords by R.A. Salvatore, so they are all happy now.

Personally, I'm now reading, Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, and it is a very emotional, moving story.

By the way -- DKW -- I also got that GRUNT CD about a month ago. We have loved listening to it!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
The Annotated Sherlock Holmes.

Reading the annotations, mainly. I just read the stories recently, and realized I bough the Annotated book for a lot of dough on eBay and never read the notes! [Eek!]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm stuck on trying to finish up The Elegant Universe. It started out great, but now it's just plain incomprehensible. I have a strong urge to just put it down and get back to some good fiction, but I'm stubbornly refusing until I finally grasp this stuff.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only in the middle of three books right now; I finished one last night.

Ender's Game (I'm perpetually in the middle - I hit the end and start over)
Dune (ditto)
The Great Hunt (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, Book Two, for the unknowing)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hearts In Atlantis
Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 

Religion and the Rise of Western Culture, Dawson.

(woot!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter Rockwell: A Biography
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Great.

I'm reading "The Cat Who Tailed A Thief".

You couldn't ask this when I was in the middle of something profound like Dante's Purgatorio, or even Agatha Christie.

Nope, you ask when I'm reading brain candy about a guy who can't figure out who the bad guy is without the help of his psychic cat.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Great.

I'm reading "The Cat Who Tailed A Thief".

You couldn't ask this when I was in the middle of something profound like Dante's Purgatorio, or even Agatha Christie.

Nope, you ask when I'm reading brain candy about a guy who can't figure out who the bad guy is without the help of his psychic cat.

Hey! I love Qwill! And Koko. And the other cat. Yum Yum or something. I haven't read one of those in ages... maybe I'll steal one of my mom's when I go home this weekend.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Gormenghast, Mervn Peake

Stupid UBB Code, can't we just have HTML?

[ October 21, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting until November 2 for Days of Infamy by Harry Turtledove to be followed by Homeward Bound also by Turtledove.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading this thread.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Trying to read Blood Canticle by Anne Rice, and am reminded of why I stopped reading the Vampire Chronicles.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
The memory of earth and xenocide

[ October 21, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Crewel Yule by Monica Ferris (murder mystery, 6th in a series all centered around a woman who owns a needlework shop)
The Jesus Incident by Frank Herbert - really having a tough time with this one, though

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rereading "Blood of the Fold" by Terry Goodkind

I'm also reading "The Overmountain Men" by Cameron Judd. Its a historical fiction novel set in frontier times.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered the new Martin book...according to Waldenbooks it is available....

right... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am partway through:

Religion and Ethnicity in Canada (Bramadat and Seljak)
Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie)
Aeneid (Virgil), both English and Latin
Is There a Duty to Die? (John Hardwig)
And assorted other textbook readings for class.

EDIT: Belle, I love all those books. Have for years. woo hoo!

[ October 21, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.