FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2005 Girls of Hatrack Calendar (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2005 Girls of Hatrack Calendar
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one to take this as a fun loving joke?

Don't worry, I can't think of any girls, or guys for that matter, at Hatrack who need worry about suddenly feeling more bueatiful than another -- or the other way around. Everyone I have seen looks exactly like the readers and thinkers this place in known for and not like bikini models. [Evil]

This thread does show, however, the extreme insecurity that resides here. [Cry]

And, for your information, I would be one of the least people to be picked for one of these things on looks. Yet, I don't care. [Hat]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, AJ!

BTW Occ. I imagine you'd be picked.....occasionally.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ August 18, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everyone I have seen looks exactly like the readers and thinkers this place in known for and not like bikini models.
Oh good grief. Now you are being insulting, and not even being clever about it.

-------

I don't like rankings or popularity contests at all.

[ August 18, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it odd that the Official Hatrack Calendar would be of people when the people here are so fleeting. But I guess it's easier to take a snap shot of a person than an idea.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

CT's my hero.

(You're the second person in three days to call me deceptively innocent-looking. [Eek!] )

[ August 18, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Eep! I was actually nominated! Nobody ever picks me for anything! [Big Grin]

(((Noah))) [Big Grin] Thanks!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
would it have been better if I was clever about it?

Then again, maybe there are some aspiring bikini models here that I didn't know about.

[ August 18, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You might have qualified as a thinker.

[Wink]

[ August 18, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Occasional
Member # 5860

Oh well, I don't like clever anyway. It comes off as deceptive. Rather have my thinking succinct and to the point.
katharina
Member # 827

Well said, CT.

I think it's the difference between treating people as they are and as you think they should be. If you hold people responsible for what they "should" be, then you can say things that are insulting, and it's their fault for getting hurt.

If you actually want to deal with humans and be a part of reality, you have to accept and deal with people as they are.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I suddenly realized Richard Berg's comment was probably really cryptic to those who weren't at KamaCon, it didn't even make sense to me for a while.

The "three star letter" comment didn't have anything to do with appearance whatsoever! You see I gave the crazy grandma letter binder I have to Tom Davidson while at KamaCon. I had had them organized in chronological order for a while and had ranked the letters with stars for their general outrageousness.

If you see a "three star" letter, you know you've got a really entertaining one where Grandma is on a tear! But in the reading frenzy the letters were strewn all over the floor for a while. Mayday did a Herculean job of sorting them out and they left organized far better than they arrived. There have been rumors of a Grandma Blog upcoming, with the names changed to protect the innocent.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I just got back and was reading this thread. Throughout the entire thing, I just kept thinking how funny this is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? I've pointed out people I thought were attractive in magazines to Mr. Opera and he has often thought they were quite UNattractive, and vice versa.

Occasional, as far as the insecurities here, I think this thread has brought up far more outrage. I've been judged on my looks (like everyone else) my entire life, and the last place I ever expected to be judged was Hatrack.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts Space Opera, Max and kids on calendar*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] AJ

I should explain more. To tell the truth, I felt that all the Hatrack people I met at the Con were attractive. I tend to find people I like attractive, and I liked all of them. Not getting nominated for a calendar didn't bother me - I feel confident of my hotness. [Wink] I was just surprised to see this kind of thing even being discussed. We're Hatrack, and we value people, not their appearances. I do like the idea of a calendar with everyone as a big happy group just because we rawk.

space opera

edit: And I meant all of us, not just the Con-goers. [Smile]

[ August 18, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I guess I have come to grips with who I am and what I look like. Not saying I wish I wan't some hunk of a guy, but that will never be so I think I have come to accept that. Frankly, marriage has probably helped to sooth my concerns and contributed to my personal security.

I guess a "beauty contest" has become the least of my problems. Because of that, it surprised me at the rage felt by some and even was a bit amusing. Comes off as prepubesent rantings equal to the accusations of the same for even bringing the topic up.

katharina
Member # 827

If you feel good about it then, maybe the best thing to do would be to help other peole get there and not insult them for not being there?
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
These sorts of discussions always remind me of an incident in Champaign-Urbana.

Hooters decided to open up there and a group of "feminists" (as much as I hate to use the word) decided to protest on their opening day. The waitresses came outside and offered the feminists to come inside and meet them and hang out and have a beer, promising them that they really were nice girls and missing the entire point of the protest.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Bob the Lawyer, and I have been known to make snap judgements about people based on their appearance when they deviate from my "norm." Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong and most of the time I never get to know the person well enough to find out.

It comes with being human.

Or maybe I'm just a terrible person. The jury is still out on that.

(Not that I'm pro popularity contests, but people saying they've never made judgements about someone based on their appearance baffle me.)

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

I don't feel good about it. I have just come to grips with those feelings.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
CT: Yes, I find ranking lists of persons on physical characteristics to be repugnant, either in public or in private
I have one of those lists [Frown]

1. Annie
2. Everybody else

Sorry CT. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I agree. Of course everyone makes judgements based on appearance. Whether you find most people attractive or not, some people will inevitably be more attractive than others to you.

I think the problem many are having - aside from the vomit factor of popularity contests - is that it's just silly and could possibly hurt someone's feelings. I certainly think there are several people on this forum who would rank pretty high on my internal attractiveness monitor, but I'm not gonna start a thread listing them. In this way Hatrack is a lot like a family - if you include only some publicly, then you leave others out.

I think I've said my piece now. I just hate seeing this kind of thing on Hatrack, just like I hate seeing debates turn into name-calling, which doesn't happen very often, thank goodness.

space opera

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have the simple solution . . . we have surely had enough group get-togethers that there is at least one for each month.

Ta-daaa!!!!

And probably, something COULD be put together that is very Hatrack based and the Card's could sell it and off-set the costs of running this joint . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
We should have a Couples of Hatrack Formed in 2004 2005 Calendar. I'm sure there's at least 12.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I love the idea of a Hatrack Calendar. But I think each month should be a collage of people (female *and* male) who are willing to be on it and are interested in or have been nominated to be on that month. No popularity contest, just a calendar Jatraqueros could purchase and have in their home as a reminder of the people who mean so much to them. No one need be left out, but people could opt to not be included.

A couple years ago, my parents gave all us kids such a calendar of our family, each month having a collage of pictures. I loved it!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I will sacrifice myself to be in the hatrack calender. I have no moral objections to anything so that's gotta make up for all that I lack in as calender girl material. 15 minutes of semi-fame, here I come!
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hi, I'm Tom Davidson. "
"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm [Dont Know]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If only your brain was my brain, you would find that funny, too.

Meh, so tired.

I just had this vision of Tom's section of the calendar being him all grim, dark and batman-y. Funny, see? No? Go to first sentence of this post.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "The Memes of Hatrack" calendar?

January could be Dobie month... February could be hug thread month... March could be the glad-this-isn't-an-onanism-month... december could be the last post month... Thor could supply some of the artwork...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could be the best pics, regardless of who is in them.

I saw some awsome shots Mack took, and I loved finding out who those people were.

I will add pics from the WMASS Picnic this weekend, feel free to use the group photo I will try to get.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.