FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Walk This Way"

Author Topic: "Walk This Way"
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Please note:

There are enough covers of this song. This means no more are needed, by anyone, especially if this "anyone" is Macy Gray, and especially if the advertisement that the cover is being used in is supposed to encourage people to buy a product.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimi Hendrix rules.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Goat. *pat pat* It'll be okay.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jimi Hendrix rules.
I hope that was a joke.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
especially if the advertisement that the cover is being used in is supposed to encourage people to buy a product.
Aren't most advertisements intended to encourage people to buy a product?
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
To add to the list of songs that no longer need to be covered by anyone anywhere ever:

867-5309
Brick House
Brown Eyed Girl
Anything written by Pink Floyd, you will only mess it up
Mrs. Robinson.....

There are another couple hundred, but I think we get the point.

Anyone here pick up a copy of Sevendust's new cd and notice that the tribute to Cash was a cover of hurt which wasn't even his song? AM I the only person bothered by this? The man in black had enough songs of his own that you could choose as a tribute.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Please add to that list, "Red Red Whine"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of a story. I used to be a DJ, and when I was doing a show with my friend, we'd do screwy things just to amuse ourselves at the expense of others. Once we had a trivia contest with some sort of stupid prize. The question was as follows: Who did the original version of this song? We then played the original Neil Diamond version of Red Red Wine. We immediately got about 50 calls from people claiming that Neil Diamond was covering the UB40 song. Not a single person caught on that the version we were playing was the original. We laughed ourselves silly.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this thread title, and immediately thought of Igor, in "Young Frankenstein." [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a CD for my friend of 8 cover versions of "Happy Together" by the Turtles. I've got Mel Tormé doing lounge, a reggae version, an acapella version, a bluegrass instrumental version, a punk version, and Captain & Tenille's disco masterpiece "Happy Together; a Fantasy," complete with stampeding horses sound effects. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh, and add to the Not-to-be-Covered List:

Landslide
Big Yellow Taxi
Tainted Love
The Monkees
Anything by Bob Dylan that's already been covered.

What, though, in your opinions, are fabulous covers? I vote for Alanis's unplugged version of "King of Pain."
I also saw Barenaked Ladies do a live version of "Bootylicious." That was pretty fabulous.

[ August 20, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

"Yesterday" also has enough covers, I've decided.

I wish a modern-day artist would cover "Eve of Destruction", though. I love both Barry McGuire's and The Turtles' versions.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
American Pie should not be covered.

Some great covers include:

• Landslide (Smashing Pumpkins good, Dixie Chicks bad)
  • Natural Woman (The Smalls)
  • Exploding Boy (Alkaline Trio)
  • Lovers In A Dangerous Time (Barenaked Ladies)
  • Sunny Side Of The Street (Face To Face)
  • Burning For You (Iced Earth)
  • You Don't Know What You've Got (Jawbreaker)
  • Redemption Song(Joe Strummer or Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer)
  • One (Korn - live - The Metallica One not the U2 One or the Filter One or any of the other Ones)
  • The Freshmen (Mustard Plug)
  • I Don't Want To Live On The Moon (The Queers)
  • Planet Caravan (Pantera)
  • The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (Relient K)
  • What A Wonderful World (Joey Ramone, Flaming Lips)

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (Relient K)
LOL, okay I have to listen to this.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I had to buy it as a single on eBay, but it was relatively easy. (I'm speaking of the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything) It was utterly fantabulous.

I'm not much of a punk fan (at least not what they're calling "punk" these days), but punk covers can be really funny. My friend's brother's band (a lovely group of chaps calling themselves Therapist Off) does a punk cover of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On."

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sting's Little Wing is great.

U2 has a lot of good covers; my favorite is probably All Along the Watchtower

Anyone sensing a pattern here?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

I already did a list of my favorite covers here, so I won't do it again. [Smile]
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I also listed a bunch on the thread Speed linked to. Some are on this thread and some aren't.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked New Found Glory's cover of Back That Ass Up.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

quote:
I had to buy it as a single on eBay, but it was relatively easy. (I'm speaking of the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything) It was utterly fantabulous.
It's on iTunes, too, on the Veggie Tales: Veggie Rocks! CD.
Annie
Member # 295

Wow, Speed. I'm feeling sheepish that, not only have I discussed this exact thing before, but I made the exact same comments. And not only have I discussed this exact same thing and made the exact same comments, but it was two months ago!

<---- old and senile

Oh, and by the way, the Hawaiian version of "Over the Rainbow" you mentioned in the other thread is by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole, who you can find called simply "Iz" in some places. [Smile]

Member # 6765

Don't worry... if I spent as much time making scholarly and insightful comments on all known forms of art, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to remember them all either. The only reason I was able to remember that thread two months ago is that I've only made one coherent cultural comment since then, so I didn't have too much to keep track of. [Wink]

PS Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go look that dude up immediately.

[ August 21, 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a commercial with the Walk This Way cover mentioned. My ears have yet to recover.

Good cover: Jimmy Buffett - Mexico

I like how the song is so different when someone who sounds happy (not James Taylor) sings it. [Wink]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Another song that should never ever be covered:

Bohemian Rhapsody

I can't think of anyone that would be able to sing it properly in the frist place. Except maybe the lead singer from The Darkness. I forget his name. Justin something

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Weird Al's "Bohemian Polka" makes me giggle.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yngwie Malmsteen re-did some Paginini that was absolutely stunning.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call his songs covers. I consider them parodies. It is a very funny song though.

Weird Al I mean.

[ August 22, 2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No covers of pop standards unless you have the voice for it. The versions by Rod Stewart drive me up a tree.
And they play them
all
the
time
at
work
just to annoy me [Mad]
No one can sing Marvin Gaye who ISN'T Marvin Gaye.
I can think of a ton of other songs people need not to cover.
Smashmouth should not do covers!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Good save, L'il Doc . . . [Mad] One must show ABSOLUTE respect whe discussing Paginini . . . [Wink]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

quote:
No one can sing Marvin Gaye who ISN'T Marvin Gaye.
I mentioned this before... as a rule I think you're right. But listen to CCR's version of I Heard It Through the Grapevine. Of course, if you're just listening for vocals, you might not be too impressed. But if you hear the way the Fogerty brothers' guitars tear that song up, you might just change your mind. That jam is the closest you'll ever get to heaven on earth.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add the following to the "Do Not Cover" list:

-Every Beatles song that exists.

Seriously, nobody but the Beatles can perform a Beatles song correctly. Every single Beatles cover I've ever heard sucked. Any time you're preparing to record yourself performing a Beatles song, stop and ask yourself the following question: "Was I in the Beatles?" If the answer is no, then do not, repeat, DO NOT proceed with the recording.

quote:
I wouldn't call his songs covers. I consider them parodies. It is a very funny song though.

Weird Al I mean.

Considering that he left the lyrics to "Bohemian Rhapsody" intact, I would say that "Bohemian Polka" was, in fact, a cover, and not a parody. It's true he played it in a polka style for humorous effect, but recording an existing song using a different genre is nothing new.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm-- Dagonee, I consider U2's All Along the Watchtower to be the worst cover in the history of music.

And I've listened to a lot of acapella, so I should know. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

quote:
I'd like to add the following to the "Do Not Cover" list:

-Every Beatles song that exists.

Dude, have you ever heard Alison Kraus' version of I Will? Fricking amazing. If it were only for this version alone, I'd say you were crazy.

I heard Sting do a concert version of A Day In the Life that was really cool. And Phish did the whole White Album once in concert, and did a really good job.

This is going to sound really weird if you only think of him as the Don't Worry Be Happy dude, but if you've never heard Bobby McFerrin's version of Blackbird, you're really missing out on something amazing.

Earth Wind and Fire's version of Got To Get You Into My Life is a funk classic.

You are aware that U2 did a version of Helter Skelter, right? I suggest you withdraw your statement before Annie sees it.

Johnny Cash's version of In My Life gives me chills.

Don't tell me you've forgotten Shatner's immortal cover of Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds. (Okay, that was pretty bad, but I needed a good laugh.)

If you're into jazz in any manner, you've heard and grooved to Bela Fleck's version of Michelle.

Speaking of jazz fusion, what about the Crusaders' version of Elanor Rigby?

Don't say anything until you've heard Jeff Beck's version of She's a Woman, either in the studio, or the live version with the Jan Hammer Group. That's the shiz-nit.

Listen to Michael Hedges' version of Come Together sometime before you die. You'll be glad of it.

Yes did a pretty cool version of I'm Down that was released as a bonus track on their box set.

Stevie Ray Vaughan did a version of Taxman, which is all anyone should need to know.

See, I think part of the genius of the Beatles is how well they lend themselves to covers. Sure, if you don't know what you're doing you'll just sound like an idiot. But Beatles songs are like Gershwin songs. They can be re-invented for just about any different genre, including genres that didn't exist when the songs were written. And if they're done right, they can come to life in a way you'd never expect. Piles of covers have already been done, and every time you think the well's run dry, someone else will come around and prove you wrong.

[ August 22, 2004, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Speed 2: Cruise Control ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
See, the thing about music is that there's so much of it out there that it's impossible for any one person to be familiar with even a large percentage of it. It's true that most of my comments were phrased as an absolute, and I used a little hyperbole in an attempt at humor, but really the whole thing revolved around this statement:

quote:
Every single Beatles cover I've ever heard sucked.
And obviously I can't evaluate that which I've never heard.

quote:
You are aware that U2 did a version of Helter Skelter, right?
No, but it's hard to imagine how it would change my mind. I admit that since I haven't heard it, it may be brilliant . . . but since I don't like U2, I'm not exactly predisposed to assume it is.

quote:
Stevie Ray Vaughan did a version of Taxman, which is all anyone should need to know.
I will, however, concede the point here. I had forgotten about this one. Clearly not every Beatles cover I've ever heard sucked. There was one that didn't, and "all but one" is not "every". Statement withdrawn.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
What would they have left to sing? [Razz]

And to counter Verily's statement, I would venture to say that the only good Beatles song is a covered Beatles song. See: entire I Am Sam soundtrack. "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright? Bloody brilliant! "Come Together" by Aerosmith?

And the best Beatles cover EVER is Bernadette Peters doing "Blackbird."

Heh. Infidels.

*goes back to watching Rattle & Hum.*

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
"Come Together" by Aerosmith?
Actually, that was one of the ones I had in mind when I made my original statement. . . .

[ August 22, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I seem to recall hearing a good cover of "Dear Prudence" once. It wasn't any match to the original, but it worked. I can't remember the name of the singer, though. I think it was a female.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure who did this first or if either of them can claim to be the original writer but I love both versions of "Romeo and Juliet" by the Indigo Girls and Dire Straights
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my opinion, Smashmouth should not be allowed near either recording equipment. That's just me, though.

Regarding Beatles covers:

It's possible that the version of "Dear Prudence" you may be thinking of was by the Grateful Dead. [Edit: Or, you know, maybe not, since you said it was a woman... I bet learning to read would help me a lot in life.] And both Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder have done covers of songs by the Beatles that even Paul McCartney liked.

[ August 22, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6765

Romeo and Juliet was a Dire Straits song. I personally liked the original better, but the remake was good as well.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.