FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Unbelievably Good News!!!

Author Topic: Unbelievably Good News!!!
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Complaints from Muslim Women Cheer Hospital Patients Everywhere
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great!

Don't they already have modest gowns? I wore one the other day when I got myphysical that wrapped around one and a half times - it was very modest. I wonder why they weren't using them before?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it all depends on the hospital.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
As the article says near the end, bigger, better gowns exist--they just aren't widely used. Which makes one wonder why....
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
They're more expensive? It's easier to just buy one thing in bulk? You just didn't think about it and nobody brought it up?

Or did you mean to imply that docs get their jollies from patients?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Yes. Probably.

Are you saying they don't?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, maybe it's a Southern thing.

The gown I wore yesterday was long and offered full coverage. Plus, they gave me a sheet to drape over my lap. In NYC, I had to ask for 2 gowns to get full coverage (one worn backward and one worn correctly). I also had to ask for the sheet. The NYC nurses were very nice about accommodating me, but it was clear that they thought I was nuts. All of the gowns in I've seen in Virginia and Georgia have been long and full and none of the ones I saw in NYC were.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought there was a practical reason for the breezy gowns. I mean, if the doctor is reaching inside and checking out your heart, lungs, etc., something ultra-modest isn't going to be all that convenient. But if Muslim women aren't coming in at all because of those gowns, then a little inconvenience on the doctor's part is probably worth the price.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the only one who asked for two robes, and wore one backwards?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That is good news! Modesty is a good thing!

The only time I've had to wear a gown in a hospital, it was the standard drafty kind. It wasn't too bad though, since they let me keep my pants on, so only my back was visible while I wandered the corridors.

I think my doctor's office uses the normal gowns also, but it's not a huge deal, since the only time I have to wear them is during a yearly exam, when my hind end hanging out isn't really an issue.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*embarrassed* I threw all caution to the wind and refused to wear a gown that was three sizes too big for me while I was in the labor room. It didn't cover anything anyways and was darn annoying.

I did, however, wear the gown in the family room, and luckily the nursing gown was actually sized and so somewhat fit even with the two vertical slits in the front that didn't always stay completly closed.

I think they're pretty good about requests for modessty that I've seen -- my dad was even given scrub pants when he asked for them -- but I can imagine that it depends on the hospital.

[ August 20, 2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
See, Christy, I've heard other women say that, but I honestly couldn't even imagine moving enough to take the gown off when I was in labor. Like, it was bothering me, but I would have had to think beyond "AHHHHHHH" to envision getting it off somehow.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only time I've ever had to wear one was for surgery, but I don't really remember it clearly enough to say. I seem to remember wearing one but I don't ever remember changing back into street clothes. The rest of the time it either hasn't been offered or I haven't bothered. Boxers work just as well as the gown when looking at my knees, reaching up/down a t-shirt isn't a big hassle, and if you're just going to have to take it most of the way off anyway why bother putting it on in the first place?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Sweet, you forget that I was worried about getting the floor messy after my water broke.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.