FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Typing phonetically with the cyrillic alphabet

Author Topic: Typing phonetically with the cyrillic alphabet
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
After searching the Internet and getting fed up I shall pose this question to you all, as it is driving me batty.

I "turned on" the Russian language on my computer to be able to type that way. When I had Japanese installed before, I could type a word in phonetically and it would be written in the appropriate kana.

I'd like to be able to do this with Russian, but it doesn't seem to be working. Forgive me while I try to explain this using only Roman letters:

When I type "I" I expect to get the symbol that looks like a backwards N, because that's the symbol that is romanized to "I". But instead what I get is a symbol that looks like a 3 which makes a z sound. But when I type "Z" I get the backwards R symbol which makes the "ya" sound.

Does anyone know how to make it so that when I type a letter on the keyboard what comes up is the phonetic equivalent in Russian? (Or any other language?)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on what you're doing when you say you're "turning on" the Russian. I know there are programs for doing phonetic cyrillic with the keyboard (I've used them to do some wedding announcments in Bulgarian). However, most of the "default" stuff uses the placement of the letters on the cyrillic keyboard (which is what it sound like is happening to you). Too bad you don't have one of those keyboards with both English and Cyrillic letters on it. [Wink]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty darned annoying that I find myself only able to type words that have a, T, x, and e in them.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
There's probably a keymap out there that'll do mostly what you want. But I don't really know offhand where you'd look for such a thing. I remember wanting something like this a couple years ago when I was taking Russian. Of course, you'll still have some trouble typing the letters without a Roman equivalent (myagkij znak, etc.).

I find it helps some to have a picture of a keyboard on screen with the correct letters in place. (Again, sorry I can't help with the specifics -- it's late here.) You'd be surprised how quickly your brain remaps itself.

Maybe Yozhik would know...

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have Windows XP:

Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Accessibility -> On-screen Keyboard.

It shows you the current keyboard layout. For example, I have a French keyboard, but I set it to the English layout as I'm more used to it. And the "On-screen Keyboard" function shows that I have a "QWERTY" (English) keyboard, not a "AZERTY" (French) Keyboard.

[ August 21, 2004, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

See, I saw the QWERTY thing, but the problem is that mine has QWERTY specifically for each language, but it doesn't have it for Russian.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, most of the "default" stuff uses the placement of the letters on the cyrillic keyboard (which is what it sound like is happening to you).
I agree with this diagnosis.

I'll see if I can find a keymap that lets you type phonetically. What version of Windows are you running?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

Here's a start:

linky

[ August 24, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

coooooooool.
Yozhik
Member # 89

Actually, ignore the above link. This one looks better.

better link

Now to try it out...

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

: )
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
How come phonetic isn't spelled the way it sounds?

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Because it's a word in English?
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
is it??/
CONFUUUUUUUUSED!

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

I tried out the software for phonetic keyboard at the second link and it works! Yay!

(I used to have another Russian transliterated-keyboard file, but it wouldn't work under Windows ME for some reason, and then my computer died a spectacular death and was replaced with one running XT, so I lost the file and don't remember where I got it. Anyway, the new one is better.)

PSI, is it working on your computer?

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes it works! There are a couple letters that weren't transposed the way I would do it, but it should be simple to remember where those few characters are.

Thanks! [Big Grin]

Hey, I found out how to modify it. That helps even more.

[ August 24, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Yozhik
Member # 89

Ni za chto!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.