FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » fallow - MIA - why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: fallow - MIA - why?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

I looked forward to the brain teasers and provocative imagery -

why has he been sent away?

Anyone?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Fallow? Kitty! Come back!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan

What makes you think he's gone? Maybe just a vacation or something? Or do you know more?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
He was asked to leave, Farmgirl. I'm not here enough to follow all the threads - I'm still trying to pick up the pieces of whatever happened with CT and her husband . . . awful difficult with deletions all over the place -
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the "baleeted" thread as well as the "CT gone?" threads.

As to why Fallow isn't around anymore - I haven't heard anything as to why he's not. He was inane, but not offensive.

Well, offensive in a blunted, dull sword kind of way, I suppose.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow......um that's like....horrible. I kinda liked the guy. Was thinking about visitinghim since I'm in Cali. durn it.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that some of fallow's over-the-top posts (which I noticed had been edited and/or deleted) last week may have been the final straw. But that's totally a guess. [Dont Know]

And Stan, there are other Jatraqueros in SoCal, you know. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Dam, I kinda liked him, I mean he was mildly amusing sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that fallow's goal almost always seems to make sure that you don't know what he's talking about.

Maybe he decided that the best way to do that is to stop posting at all. Then we'll have no clue what he's talking about. [Wink]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured...but I don't go thru every profile stalking people. I just happened to notice that was in the same area that a guy that I work with is from. However, I am in VA again right now, and am going up to MI after the race. By thursday I will be in Dallas, TX. I have no clue where I will be after that. I just know that I have to be back in San Diego by sept 2nd.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Aw, but stalking people is fun! [Big Grin]

Anyway, there's a substantial SoCal clump, and we need to have another get together soon-ish. Maybe you'll join us? *hopeful*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Highly depends on the when for me on anything. Any and every off weekend I have I am going backpacking with a frind of mine from work. On top of all that I just transferred from the machinery space to the office. I spend a lot of time (way too much) doing paperwork and and maneuvers.

I do have one thing going for me. I have 65.5 days of leave saved up on the books. We get 30 a year and can't be over 60 at the end of the fiscal year (I think). I know I have use or lose days.

My boss knows this and is ready for me to start submitting leave chits as often as I can. which means I'll probably only submit 1 or 2. I only take 2 leaves a year if that many.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was an obnoxious ass. Maybe I'll post more now that he's gone.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
obnoxious ass. Maybe I'll post more
Hope you don't asphyxiate, inhaling your own exhaust.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

skillery, are you trying to prove you can be as obnoxious as fallow was wont to be? While I might not have phrased it quite as Icarus did, I agree with his assessment.

I had no problem with fallow being irrelevant and incomprehensible (except when he did it all over someone's landmark or other emotionally laden thread). But when he was deliberately and repeatedly both insulting and inflammatory, after being asked a number of times (by me, among others) to knock it off, he lost all my sympathy.

He got away with an awful lot of garbage, for a long time.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fallow is generally harmless. Did he post something recently that was especially out of line?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Quite a few things. Most of which were deleted by the next morning -- sometimes by him, sometimes by the mods.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, I probably won't.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, Ic. I've missed you. [Frown]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Frown]
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
an awful lot of garbage, for a long time
...an accurate generalization for much of what goes on here.

While tolerance is the mantra of Hatrack, there seems to be very little of it.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Really. Hmm, so I guess there weren't people -- including me -- who defending fallow's right to be here for a LONG time? Until he started consistently attacking people? And mucking up threads that were full of emotional vulnerabilities?

Interesting that you seem to be taking this so personally, skillery.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, please post more.
Please, Icarus, post more.
Post more, please, Icarus.
Icarus! Please post more!
Icarus, post more, please.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

^^ what she said!
skillery
Member # 6209

I'm just stepping up to the chopping block.

Hatrack's resident Reverend Mother turned out to be not-so-reverent. Many venerated Hatrack icons are turning out to be not-so-venerable...

Well, you guys built this place, I guess you can tear it down and rebuild it to your liking.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery,
Why do you need to pour salt in a very painful wound?
Please let this go.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Back in your cage newbie [Razz]

Skillery, I once felt the same way you did. During my early hatrack days, I was very frustrated by what I perceived was a double standard. While some of the older members were allowed to dish out a lot of verbal abuse, the newer members seems to be kept on a much shorter leash.

And the MOST frustrating thing is that whenever a Hatrack icon steps out of line, their actions are generally excused by "oh, that's just the way he/she is, he/she didn't mean it."

I thought this was a pretty unfair way to run a forum and it has kept me away for a long time. But after a couple of months of lurking, I realized that the leeway given to icons is well deserved. After so much contribution to a forum, a person should be allowed to go off kilter once in a while.

And don't take this the wrong way, but when you first came here you were a bit of a spark plug yourself. But I think you've adapted well to Hatrack and I really enjoy having you around.

I think given more time Fallow would make the same transition. I don't know what he did, but I hope he is given a second chance. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, any of fallow's supposed "genius" was a complete fabrication of a few hatrackers. I still don't get why you guys thought he was so awesome. I can understand Thor, at least he gets his point across eventually, but fallow was just a complete waste of space who never even tried to contribute in any meaningful way. At least I, with my grumpiness and crotchety ways, am nice every now and then. He was just a complete moron all the time.

He was like listening to Wesley Willis 24/7. It's cute the first couple of songs, but by your third listening to "Suck a Panda's Cock" you realize the guy was completely insane and any sort of pleasure people got out of him was the "point and stare at the silly, crazy black man" gimmick variety. There is no genius, only a barely-held grasp on reality that allowed him to function at a level needed for people to "enjoy" his "talents." The rest is complete garbage.

Rock on London.
Rock on Chicago
Wheaties: Breakfast of Champions

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I dunno if I would trust the opinions of a man who listened to a song called "Suck a Panda's Cock" three times. [Wink]

I'm not saying Fallow is a genius or anything. Even if he is nothing more than a random poster, isn't there enough room on Hatrack for a few people like him? Or did I fill the jerk quota already?

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
And he was just starting to make sense lately... [Frown]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren,

I can't answer that question objectively. I actively despise fallow, so my opinion on the subject of his place on hatrack is rendered invalid.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"But I think you've adapted well to Hatrack and I really enjoy having you around."

Oh, I disagree wholeheartedly. [Smile]

I don't miss fallow a bit, either.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Skillery:

quote:
Hatrack resident Reverend Mother turned out to be not-so-reverent.
Since I was the one she was not-so-reverent to, and as far as I am concerned it is over with (and not completely undeserved) Please let it rest at that.

People are that- just people. We sometimes put too much pressure on our "icons" here to be perfect, or at least to be better than others here, and that is the reason why they need to take time off sometimes.

It isn't so much that we (not that I consider myself to be among the "icons". but I have been there for 4 years now... [Big Grin] ) destroy and rebuilt as that all on-line communities are transitory in nature, and as such are constantly evolving and morphing into new forms with new members.

So sometimes the best person snaps at someone. Sometimes someone who is normally good at communicating fails to communicate clearly.

And sometimes the forum just gets fed up with someone in general.

I had no grudge with fallow, and he was OK to me sometimes....and not so good at others. I think if he was asked to leave (and I personally don't know anything one way or another about it) there was probably a good reason for it.

I do know that he was warned in the past, both by people here and by the mods.

Thanks,
Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, for what it is worth, here is my two cents. I both like and dislike fallow. The amusing, enigmnatic, mysterious side I thought was an excellent addition to Hatrack. Fallow provided us our moment of Zen many times. Most of us had no clue what he was talking about, some of us thought we might and enjoyed wondering, and sometimes we actually figured it out and laughed.

But fallow had another side in which he toyed with people. If it was just toying, I wouldn't mind so much. But sometimes he was shockingly rude. That sort of thing just doesn't belong on Hatrack.

I wish I could have one without the other. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck? I do a lot of lurking here, and I never read anything by Fallow that could be considered offensive.

This continues to confirm my suspiscion that many Hatrackers are sensitive to the point of silliness.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This continues to confirm my suspiscion that many Hatrackers are sensitive to the point of silliness.
I have to agree with you on this one. Fallow's only crime towards hatrack is derailing landmark threads, and he'd often fix those upon request.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw Fallow, he annoyed me to no end. But I am not afraid to admit that he eventually grew on me and now I rather like the guy.

But then again, I have never read anything of Fallow's that I would dub as offensive. The couple of threads (Although I have not been frequenting Hatrack much recently so perhaps I missed most of it) I have seen people get mad at Fallow, and I am not quite sure what exactly they are so mad about. Sometimes, it's almost as if they read too much into his words.

Either that, or I have not been reading closely enough? Perhaps.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Actually, that is part of what people find maddening about fallow. He is enigmatic enough that you are left wondering if he said something incredibly rude or if it is your fault for taking him that way. I know I have been left in that quandry more than once. And more than once I decided that he was being intentionally rude. But I decided not to get upset about it.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
fallow said a few pretty offensive things, but they were usually caught by the mods relatively quickly. One in particular was pretty bad.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I always took fallow's efforts to be intentionally facetious and indecipherable. I did occaisionally find him funny but there were times when he was blatantly cruel. If he was banned then I would say his mission was successful.

On a lighter note I could postulate that he is no longer fallow and is cultivating his crop elsewhere.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Thanks for the smiley TomD. I don't think I've adapted well either. But we've just demonstrated for the second time this year that Hatrack as a whole is in flux just as much as are the individual members.

Fallow was indeed a puzzler, but it was a welcome diversion from the sometimes sickly sweet mutual admiration and the frequent whining about less-than-ideal personal lives. Fallow's silliness served as a reminder and an invitation to step back from the seriousness and see things from a different perspective.

Engaging Fallow in his brand of play was always stimulating and thought-provoking. At the same time I'm probably glad that I don't have to work with him in real life. Can you imagine being in a business meeting in which Fallow asks if he can ask you a question, and then leaves you hanging, or drops something off-topic?

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Or where he would mock you for actually doing your job, but when you got offended he would play it off as all your interpetation...

I like him to a point, but I read some very rude posts he made, mainly to others and wondered why he even bothered posting here in the forst place. He often held others opinions to be os little concern, and would offend people fairly often,

Here's a clue...if the mods have ever asked you to back off, or have removed your posts, you are crossong a line.

If they do it repeatedly, well,.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fallow was indeed a puzzler, but it was a welcome diversion from the sometimes sickly sweet mutual admiration and the frequent whining about less-than-ideal personal lives. Fallow's silliness served as a reminder and an invitation to step back from the seriousness and see things from a different perspective.

*shrug* 90% of the time, he was like you say--silly. Sometimes even entertaining. The other 10, he was trollishly insulting, just popping into a thread to let out a few vile words very badly disguised as his normal silliness.

There are still plenty of other diversions on Hatrack. We'll get by.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Fallow really *is* like a cat. ^_^

One moment you are scratching behind his ears and he is purring, and the next moment, for no apparent reason, he takes a swipe at you and draws blood.

[ August 22, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Engaging Fallow in his brand of play was always stimulating and thought-provoking.

Yeah. If I wasn't before, I'm now fairly convinced fallow was a pet pseudonym of yours. He was neither brilliant nor entertaining, despite your curiously many and strong insistences that he kept you laughing all night long. I'm glad to see he's gone -- please don't fall back into it, guy.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thought Fallow provoked was an idle curiosity about his taste in recreational drugs.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fallow's only crime towards hatrack is derailing landmark threads, and he'd often fix those upon request."

I think of fallow's posts as intelligence tests. If you DIDN'T find them remarkably insulting most of the time, you weren't smart enough to understand that he was being insulting. From the moment he appeared on the site, he irritated me to no end -- primarily because people gave him a pass on hostile, passive-aggressive behavior that, had it been less cryptic, would have gotten anyone else banned in moments.

I found him occasionally amusing, but that hardly compensated for his penchant for jabbing people with knives and demanding that they smile about it.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

There ain't no way skillery and fallow are one and the same. I'd bet good money on it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thought it all that likely, but it sounds like you've got proof positive that it isn't the case, bev. How can you tell?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
taste in recreational drugs
A lot of Jatraqueros post while drunk, stoned, or while-wanking, especially on the weekends. The altered mental states really come through in their posts. We could probably nuke this thread and not miss it at all once we get back to the normal weekday routine.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.