FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Glynn's Extra-forSpecial Birthday Wish

Author Topic: Glynn's Extra-forSpecial Birthday Wish
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I want one of these.

Please, Mommy, PLEASE?!

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother used to be the warehouse manager for Musician's Friend.

True story.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Thanks a lot, Charlie Murphy.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
bill wants this one. he's never been that good a boy.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this one for my birthday, except in a flat black. It's so hot. Not acoustic, but that's for the future.

Is it your birthday? Happy birthday!

If it's not, save it for later.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

B-Day is Wednesday. I'm wishing now for something I know I won't get. Too expensive.
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
My acoustic was really cheap. It cost me $21 at a dorm auction. It would have been $5, but the guy who previously owned it thought it would be better to be a jerk than let somebody else have it for less than what he paid for it. I used to have a nice Fender electric-acoustic that my Dad got me for Christmas, but it got stolen.

Actually, my electric was relatively cheap as well. I think it was around $120. Danelectro = Right On!

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I just really like the looks of that guitar. I poked around and read some reviews on different sites and it seems like a really great guitar for the price. While certainly not a $2000 taylor, it seems to sound good and have the kind of stuff I want. I'll probably get it for myself soon, but not right now.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who had a famous guy (whose name I don't know) make him a custom guitar. It has an absolutely wonderful tone...but for $4800 it should! [Eek!]

Funny thing is that he doesn't even play.
just a few chord, thats all. What a waste...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Okay, I'll make a birthday resolution too (it's only two days away, I can be early). I will do my best to be a nice guy on hatrack again.

Love,
Glynn

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My son (8) is a very good guitar player, and the guy at the music store let him play a Fender. I had to peel him off of it. He is saving up all his money for one now. Why did I let him play it??? We have been trying to keep him on acoustic for a few years, first. Do you(guitar players) think this is ncessary?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Extra-forSpecial? I don't think I've ever heard that before.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
E: Heck no. Ridiculous, in fact. I hate the acoustic though, so that's why.

Electrics are easier to play, especially for unaccustomed (sp?) fingers, and what's important is that he WANTS to play it, so he will. Don't force that child to play an instrument he doesn't want, you will be wasting your [edit: time].

Plus, electric has the advantage of playing many different styles, including an "acoustic" sound. With acoustic, that's all you get.

What's key is that he is saving up himself, and that's what matters.

(Edit: because I thought you were saying you were going to buy him an acoustic, not that he already had one, but still, if he's paying for it then go for it.)

[ August 23, 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Extra-forSpecial is a mild reference to The Dark Tower. I don't want to give it away other than Susanna says "forspecial" at some point in the story for reasons I wont delve into.

Electric guitars are easy to play, yes (the strings are much springier and easier on the hands), but don't say that you can't play electric stuff on acoustics. You can, you just have to know how to do it.

To avoid massive amounts of feedback (since the pickup in most acoustic/electric guitars is a mic) you just use a woody or other type of pickup and a sound hole cover. You can totally rock out on the thing without worrying about squealing like a thousand dying pig souls.

With the pickup, you can run the guitar through any kind of amp/pedal/whatever combination.

Also, if you think you can't rock on an acoustic, you've never seen someone play on one. The stuff virtuosos do would not sound the same on the loose strings of an electric. Also, distortion and other such nonsense is usually just a cover for someone who can't play.

Either way, the kid will still be playing the guitar. I don't think it really matters. Just let him do what he wants. He'll probably end up playing both.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Hold up, yo. I didn't say a darn thing about not rocking on an acoustic. I've heard plenty of people rock out. But I, personally, do not enjoy to play one.

As far as adding a pickup to the acoustic guitar, I figure you might as well go all the way on that one, that's all, or get an acoustic electric, which I will.

I also never said anything about distortion, either.

[ August 23, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

But you did say that you can only get an acoustic sound out of an acoustic. Which is ludicrous.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, to be honest, I've heard an acoustic with a pickup but it still sounded acoustic, just amplified. What you described is out of my realm of experience. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

He has an acoustic guitar which can be hooked up to an amp, which we have. It is a 3/4 size, really an adult guitar of smaller size.

He also plays another acoustic guitar that is officially his sister's. (My hub got them all on Ebay-they are all very nice.)

He can now play along with songs, and pick them up within three bars or so. He adores Donna the Buffalo, whom he has been WATCHING like a hawk since he was five. He loves live music. We feel like terrible parents taking him to see some shows, but he just stands right in front of the guitar(ear plugs in place) and watches and listens. He plays rhythm guitar as well as many adults.

He amazes me. I am not trying to brag, it is just the way it is.

[ August 24, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

It's like that in my family, E. If you can't harmonize, play guitar, or play a jug if you're little, then you are basically completely left out of all the family get-togethers, because that's all we do. Consequently, we all pick it up really fast.

Even my husband, who kinda hates my family, pounced on the banjo after our first reunion. It's almost a competition thing, rather than an enjoyment thing. I refuse to compete, so I am left out quite frequently. [Smile]

[ August 24, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

PSI T,
It is pure joy for him. We love music, and I play the clarinet, but I have never been able to do the improv thing. I can play with him, and do some long notes while he plays, and he loves that. My daughter has a lovely voice, but refuses to sing.(pre-teen thing? Argh!) My husband is prety much listen-only. He has been trying to learn "Stairway to Heaven" for a year. When i pointed out that it was a song played by one of the world's greatest guitar players, and he might want to start smaller, he replied: "When I learn it, I WILL be the world's greatest guitarplayer." ha ha.

For my son, music is pure joy. It is amazing to see his focus, something none of the rest of us has really had.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.