FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Olympic thoughts... Hamm, Iraq, basketball, etc (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Olympic thoughts... Hamm, Iraq, basketball, etc
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, when I first watched the scene where the exibitionist grabst the runner, I thought. If that guy had a weapon or explosives, everybody nearby would be dead.

That was as serious a breach of security as could be.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true.

Which is why I'm grateful nothing more serious happened.

Not to say the assault on Lima wasn't serious, but it could have been so much worse.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what, I'm glad the olympics are over. In times past I've thoroughly enjoyed them. This year they got old and stale and smelled of dead fish in the middle of the second week.

Maybe I'm becoming a curmudgeon, and it is all me and has nothing to do with the coverage. It certainly didn't help that they had good old Al Trautwig, making his usual stupid remarks during Gymnastics. I've really never been so passionate about loathing a commentator so much in my life.

At least college football is back.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I got tired of the whole "The Olympics: Brought to you by McDonalds, Adidas, Royal Bank, Coca-Cola, etc." pretty freaking quickly.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trevor, when I first watched the scene where the exibitionist grabst the runner, I thought. If that guy had a weapon or explosives, everybody nearby would be dead.

Amazingly enough, at least a couple of the spectators tried to pry the lunatic off the runner. For all they knew, this guy could've had explosives. It was very cool for the spectators to step up like that. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was a crazy out to make some sort of stupid statement. It didn't occur to me until an interview with de Lima where he said he was afraid the man was going to kill him when he first saw him that it might wind up being a life threatening situation. I imagine a number of the people who helped were the same as me.

I wonder, is such naivite a good thing?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to believe that the spectators just acted out of instinct, and most of the time, human instincts lean towards decency and kindness. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted better coverage of other events.

Okay, I wanted to be able to watch the fencing. [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It certainly didn't help that they had good old Al Trautwig, making his usual stupid remarks during Gymnastics.
I agree.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Feh - I'd like a detailed scheduling of the other events.

I always miss the judo and tae kwon do events.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also mystified by Al Trautwig. Is his role to be the guy who doesn't know anything and has to have everything explained to him? I guess that can have some benefit for the viewing audience but come on. And I swore I was going to shoot my tv (with a rubber band) if he commented on how someone's Olypmic experience lasted less than 30 seconds. He seemed really fixated on that. Hmmm....
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Quit picking on Tautwig: the dude suffers from severe Memento disorder.
Otherwise he could remember more than an "Olympic experience [which] lasted less than 30 seconds".

[ August 30, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Trautwig and my blood pressure aren't good for each other, especially after his buffoonery during the Tour de France.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it looked like the Italian and the American were going to pass him anyways. There's no way to tell for sure now, but I don't think it actually made a difference. DeLima should still get an extra honorary something though, that was horribly unfair.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they showed more medal matches of preliminary sports like fencing and judo instead of all these preliminary matches in games like boxng and men's indoor volleyball. Also I was sick of seeing semifinal swimming.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Fencing was on Bravo most of the time. Then they showed sailing. Judo was on... USA maybe? CNBC was the boxing channel, MSNBC showed a bunch of stuff... weren't you all paying close attention to nbcolympics.com and their very detailed TV schedules?

I remember a couple nights at a friend's house where I was glued to HDTV and heats of swimming. Ah, god-like torsos. Needless to say, I stopped watching after the final swimming medal ceremony. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
newfoundlogic

He was given a "honorary something" for it:

quote:
The IOC also awarded de Lima the Pierre de Coubertin medal for demonstrating fair play and finishing the race.
I also agree he may have not gotten gold even if that event didn't happen. His lead was dwindling fast at this point.

But it is hard to know what "would" have happened...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

There's no point in speculating about how he would have placed. A marathon, at that point and that level, is more a mental battle than a physical one. You have de Lima's rhythm and momentum totally destroyed and as a consequence the other two were able to come within visual range of him giving them a huge mental boost. There was no question that he wouldn't win at that point. It just seems to be a disservice to all involved to speculate on might have beens; I'm sure the medals have been tarnished for all three runners.

But I am glad he got some sort of recognition above and beyond a medal. Small consolation, maybe, but something.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a LOT more fencing than they showed. Only saber events were aired. Both mens and womens individual gold medal matches and the men's team competition.

There are two other weapons entirely--foil and epee--that weren't shown at ALL.

[Mad]

(and of course the two saber airings were during my fencing classtimes)

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
BtL,
I agree, and I think that in the long run, Lima's dignity in that situation will be his consolation prize.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Well I wasn't glued to the TV but when I did watch all I saw was swimming, a little gymnastics, some track, volley ball, and boxing.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, lord, I do not believe I said "in the long run." Did not mean that, sorry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am sad to have missed the fencing. I haven't really followed it in recent olympics so I don't know if what happened this time is ordinary or not. I expected france and italy to have a significant advantage, but I was surprised to find China with a very strong contention. It's all good.
Go Saber!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.