FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSI Teleport needs your help! Possible computer virus?

Author Topic: PSI Teleport needs your help! Possible computer virus?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the deal. PSI Teleport can't access the internet from her computer. She actually is able to IM, for the time being. When she pings Yahoo, everything seems fine, but she can't connect. She has saught help with her ISP customer service, and they are stumped. They suggested that it might be a virus.

She checked for spyware and none turned up--which she thought was strange since she figured there should be some. She cleared all cookies and temp. Norton says there is no virus, but she can't download an updated version of Norton because she can't access internet.

So, is there some sort of virus out there that makes it so you can't reach the internet, you can still IM, and spyware doesn't show up when you do a search for it? PSI would appreciate any help offered. If you have any ideas, you can IM her at "PSITeleport".

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
She's on Yahoo IM?

It sounds like a variant of the Doom virus. See if she can access any of the other anti-virus sites like www.mcafee.com.

You (or I) could download the anti-doom stinger and IM it to her.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Cool! Any leads are good, since right now we have no leads. She mentioned Yahoo, so it is possible. I will talk to her about it.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Trevor:

I cannot send stuff over GAIM (my IM program) I talked to PSI, and she is very hopeful on this. Could you try to send it to her?

TMedina
Member # 6649

Is she on Yahoo or MSN?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Update:

PSI just found that computer is indeed infected with "MyDoom". She is in the process of receiving the stinger. Thank you, Trevor, for figuring it out! Hopefully she will have her beloved internet connection back soon without further ado. [Smile]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
AIM
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Apparently she's not on Yahoo or MSN - do you know which one I should try adding next?

-Trevor

beverly
Member # 6246

Don't worry, Trevor, she is receiving it from Farm Girl.

Maybe AIM?

[ August 30, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Heh, no problem. Now I just have to uninstall Yahoo IM. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent her a stinger.exe to run. Her registry entries did show she had Mydoom.

She's working on the process now...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Good going Farmgirl! [Big Grin]

-Trevor

beverly
Member # 6246

Possible snag came up:

(12:26:38) PSITeleport: ok, problem
(12:26:44) PSITeleport: stinger can't find Mydoom
(12:27:00) PSITeleport: the file, winpsd, either isn't on my computer or can't be found
(12:27:07) PSITeleport: (winpsd.exe)
(12:27:19) PSITeleport: the file might be the wrong name or something....

She is not currently online (I can't IM her). I don't know how to help with this one. Any thoughts?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

She's back on IM

I'm out of ideas.

Her system registry certainly showed that she had (at one time, at least) one variant of MyDoom. (there are 68 different variants).

since Stinger.exe turned up a big zero, I had her go into safe mode and follow manual removal instructions. That all went fine, but she still can't connect to internet through a web browser.

Any ideas? I'm reading up online for ideas too

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Gave her what I think are Norton Antivirus phone#s. They might have a clue what is going on with this specific viral strain.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh] PSI Teleport!

FG

(she will explain why I'm laughing at her now that she's back on)

[ August 30, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm on for the time being.

I went into Safe Mode and got rid of ComDlg32 but winpsd wasn't on my computer. I don't know if this is permanent? How can I make sure I fixed the problem?

BTW:

Special thanks to:

Bev, for being my liasion and starting the thread, and for giving me numbers and moral support.
Trevor, for pointing us to Mydoom, which I never would have thought of.
Farmgirl, for talking me through everything and doing all the work for me, practically.

YAY for Hatrack!

edit: Oh yeah, the pointing and laughing. After coming back from safe mode I opened IE and Firefox to see if either of them would get me online. Then I opened IM to talk to Farmgirl, while she tried to help me think of another way to fix my problem.

A good, long while later, I was still thinking, and I noticed something weird...

Firefox was working.

So was IE.

Duh.

So glad I pay close attention when attention is needed.

[ August 30, 2004, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

It was SO nice to be able to actually help a user that knows what they are doing! Compared to the users I have to deal with here every hour, PSI was a charm!

Farmgirl

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. The guy at Qwest was a pill. Instead of asking me if I knew how to bring up the DOS prompt, he took me through the steps and then asked me if I could "see the little black screen".

*Shmack*

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.