FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender Books (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ender Books
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

- posted      Profile for Disney Reporter   Email Disney Reporter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Orson Scott Card. I love your books. Can you please continue writing your Ender books?

So far I have read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Speaker for the Dead, and Shadow of the Hegemon. I am going to start Xenocide very soon.

So can you please continue writing them?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. A post like this one just makes me want to trap the author in amber and save them forever, like a precious stone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
You said it, Tom. [Wink]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Disney Reporter. I'm rereading Speaker for the Dead right now - it's a wonderful book, isn't it? Xenocide is my absolute favorite, though. I love the issues with faith and choice that Card discusses. That's not spoilers, I promise - there's so much in those books.

Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Disney Reporter. I'm glad you found the site, and I'm glad you found the books. [Smile]

OSC usually doesn't post at this forum or even read it, as far as I know. However, you may occasionally run across his son (Geoff Card, aka "A Rat Named Dog,") or his wife (Krinstine, aka "kacard"). Still, I'm sure he would be delighted to see your message, and you never know.

Don't be astonished, though, if all you get are the cluckings from these here chickens. We're in charge of the farm, so to speak.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Ced to me....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything sounds like Ced when you had enough enchiladas for lunch.

[Wink]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Episode. Ever.

I bet Brad Bird worked on it. *swoon*

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Disney Reporter! Welcome to Hatrack. Tell us a bit about yourself!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, welcome DR. I just finished "First Meetings in the Enderverse" ; I highly recommend it.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

- posted      Profile for Disney Reporter   Email Disney Reporter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I love it here. I still have to read Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Shadow Puppets, and First Meetings in Enderverse.

I will look out for Orson and his family. coming up with this site was a great idea.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You'll be sworn in as soon as you've read those books and written the essay on space travel in the Enderverse.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Afr, I'm actually taking a course this year which might cover an essay like that. If I'll write one, I'll let you know. [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. There have been a number of good essays on such things. Check out www.philoticweb.net for excellent resources if want anything.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Where does Orson Scott Card usually post?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
He posts about once a week. . . long posts, filled with information about his views.

Find them on the Home page, under 'Weekly Columns.'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Cool thanks.
Noemon
Member # 1115

But seriously, DR, he doesn't participate in the forums with any kind of regularity. I think it's been a year or two since his last post, although I could be mistaken. Even when he does post, he generally doesn't engage in any kind of extended dialog with us--it's usually just a post here or a post there. Kristine Card posts more frequently, although again not in a regular dialog sort of fashion. Geoff is a regular, and engages in conversation here frequently.

As Scott said, though, OSC generally does publish two columns a week, one entitled "WarWatch" (or has he changed it to "WorldWatch" now?), and one entitled "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything", or something to that effect. There are links to both on the front page, and if you follow them you'll find links to previous columns.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
DR,

On your location it says your location is "The Twilight Zone." Can you please tell me where this is?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kaioshin, it's a dimension beyond sight and sound.
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it a dimension of mind?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's possible to be located in a dimension beyond sight and sound?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I respectfully submit for your approval that it is.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Beware the pit of fears.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah Erik, it's a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. I can't believe I messed that one up!
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to talk about his books, you're more likely to find people discussing views on that if you click Active Forums at the top-ish of the page and click Discussions About Orson Scott Card. You'll also find a lot of threads about the Ender series with a lot of interesting points of view. And you can read about what to look for in the future as far as those books are concerned.

Edit: And Welcome! [Wave]

[ September 01, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to pinch this topics cheeks.. - I think I did something quite similar when I first got on here too though.. I don't think I was quite as cute though.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome DR!

Welcome to our maddness...

If you want another AWESOME OSC book, read "Songmaster". It's in the top 5 of my most favorite books...I'm rereading it now in fact. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

The twilight zone is the 13th dimension. Have you have heard of the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World? Well there you go. I really love Disney. Actually I live in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. Right next to Lowell and about a half hour away from Boston. I'm in 7th grade, started school yesterday.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, you're officially one of our younger members, and maybe the youngest at the moment, although not the youngest ever. Hobbes, who is now in college was probably...what, 12 or so when he first started posting here, and I believe Dude-Peakaboo over on the other side was even younger. Our ages range from 12 or 13 on up into...hm...anyone here over 60? Anyway, certainly the mid 50s.

In any case, once again, welcome. I hope you're enjoying the site.

Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

I am in the 12 to 13 catagory.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Yeah, the only reason you like Disney is because you do live far away. It gets pretty boring after 2 or 3 times. Though Buzz Lightyear at Magic Kingdom was pretty fun [Wink]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Tell that to Icarus and Cor, kaioshin. They live pretty near Disney World, and my impression is that they are there quite a bit, and love it.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

really? do they like it, or do their kids like it?

How fun can an overcrowded tourist attraction be on a blistering florida day?

Noemon
Member # 1115

They like it. Assuming they make it through the hurricane okay, maybe Icarus can pop in here and tell you what he likes about it--I've only been once, when I was 14, and while I liked it well enough I wasn't left with a burning desire to return or anything.
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I would pay money to be let out if I wandered in by mistake. Disney is eeeeeeeevil!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Disney is great if you go for the annual passes. Then you can run over for a few hours, hit the good stuff, and head home. (Advantage to living in Central Florida) When someone goes to any of the theme parks on vacation, it seems like a requirement to spend 12 hours there, whether the kids are tired or not, and HAVE FUN DARNIT!

I miss living only a half-hour away from the parks. Now it's something like a three-day trip.

Anyway, welcome aboard DR!

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I'm scared of the giant turkey drumsticks they sell. They look like cave-men clubs [Angst]
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Disney is awesome no matter what you say. I have been to Disney three times and am not tired of it. Someday I am going to work there. I know so much about it. And I must love it a lot to have my own Disney website.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Not necessarily, do you think the owner of http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/disney.html

likes disney?

Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Obviously that guy is a bonehead with no time. What a loser.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously
[Roll Eyes]

[ September 07, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Back to Ender Books.

I am really likeing Xenocide. I believe I am on page 64. It is really good.

Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
Xenocide was my third favorite of the ender books, after Enders Game, then Children of Mind (I also like the way Los Filos de Menta de Christa rolls off my tongue) Some of the ideas about sentient life in Xenocide really got me thinking.
away from the books, I'm from Massachusetts too, Rehoboth actually, a little hick town about 2 hours froms boston. I was getting lonely thinking I was the only one in Ma. here.
P.S. Not that you would, but don't let all the smart people intimidate you with their intelligence. (it would completely unintentional of course.) I think I'm mature for 15 and then suddenly I read something someone wrote and it makes me realise how immature my writing style can be, and I feel like the little brother tagging along screaming " I want ot play too, I want to play too."

(edited to add the P.S.)

[ September 09, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Son_of_Priam ]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, DR, welcome to Hatrack. [Wave]

My favorite Ender book is Speaker for the Dead (just for the record [Wink] .

Hope you enjoy hanging around here. My son Shlomo started posting when he was 12, too, and he still drops in when he has time. (High school is keeping him busy).

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, boy, Disney Reporter, you'd better be careful or I'm likely to kidnap you.

*has $260 saved so far for a Disney trip next summer*

*also loves the Xenocide*

Hope you enjoy it, DR, my sister is in the middle of it right now as well. Since she's been working on it for about six months, perhaps you'll beat her to the finish! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Thanks. I think I will beat your sister. Friendly competion.

Why do you want to kidnap me?

[ September 10, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Disney Reporter ]

Disney Reporter
Member # 6817

Page 108.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Don't Icarus and Cor live in Celebration, just as Bob used to?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.