FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mrs. Powell is the Devil (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Mrs. Powell is the Devil
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most groups will turn a blind eye to one of their own. I'm speaking in generalities not specifics. I think it was fabulous that Mrs. Card did hold Rabbit to a higher standard, but I didn't see a lot of outrage coming from the normally conservative LDS contingent present on this board. M_p_h in particular, seemed to be going along and having fun with the thread, even though I would view him as conservative.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty sure that The Rabbit was LDS. But then there is also Moon Rabbit, and both are rare enough posters that I get them mixed up.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, for all that we disagree on things, I don't know that you are capable of trolling. I profoundly respect your adherence to Good Sense and Civil Discourse.

I think all manner of assertions can be made-- what I believe got Kristine riled up was that the assertions were being supported on a bed of misinformation.

I suppose acceptable hyperbole is in the eye of the beholder. I can say that celia is, without exception, the most evil, the most degenerate, the most damning influence on Hatrack, and no one would bat an eyelash.

But if I use the same terms to describe Lalo, it may be taken quite seriously.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the whole thing was in bad taste, and was trying to diffuse what I veiwed as cruel and unfair by fluffing it to death.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way,

quote:
I can say that celia is, without exception, the most evil, the most degenerate, the most damning influence on Hatrack
Is a MUCH better signature line than

quote:
But I LOVE you, celia! Why can't you see that? What do I have to do to make you understand? - Jon Boy

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it must be my bias, but it didn't occur to me that that was being presented as a direct comparison. For me it was an amusing exercise at comparing what I know about the two men and trying to figure out who would have said what. A conundrum, if you will.

I guess, more than anything, it just means I need to get the hell away from Hatrack.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Scott. Getting riled up about inaccuracy is something I can relate to. [Smile]

I still don't get why the quotes attributed to Bush Jr's 2003 State of the Union address were not fact-checked before assertion by so many across the net. That's so easy to do (transcripts are on on the main fed page, on CNN's page, on the major network pages, on C-Span's pages), yet the untrue assertion was made over and over, even by the Boston Globe. Bizzare.

I'm also not sure why any of those quotes were seen as troubling, actually. I mean, I find them troubling, but I wouldn't find any of them (even the Hitler ones, from what I remember) to be unexpected from a Christian leader. Mind you, I'd prefer not to have such a leader over me speak in this way in his or her official capacity, but I would have just chalked it up to one of those things I dislike, not something horrifying.

I say this not to be difficult, just that the strength of the reaction to them [all around] seemed unexpected to me. [Dont Know]

[ September 08, 2004, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with BtL on this one. It was a fun mental exercise, because the quotes had been removed from context in such a way as to make it as difficult as possible to determine which of them said it.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.