FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » what else are you reading? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what else are you reading?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, and City of Illusions it's one of those books that has 3 books in them. I've tried to read Left Hand of Darkness before, but I found it really boring and impossible to get into. So this is me seeing if I've matured since then, I guess.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I read my last Arthur C. Clarke book about 10 years ago, and promised myself to not read any more... Nothing happens! His short stories are excellent, but too many of his full length novels are a waste of time.
Right now I'm reading Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy, talky but fascinating. Oh, and also the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon, complete with misprints, grammatical errors, it's fascinating.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading The Cross and the Switchblade, by Rev. David Wilkerson. What an incredible book! And it's a true story too!
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Eduardo, I'm pretty stunned by your grasp of US culture--how *is* it that you're so familiar with it? Are American TV shows, books, music, etc. so ubiquitous? I mean, I know that American culture is exported to the rest of the world, but seriously, you seem to be as conversant in US culture as anyone else on this board.

How common is AD&D down in Brazil? Is your degree of familiarity with our culture an exception or the rule?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Noemon.
I'm flattered for your compliments, although sometimes I'm kinda "lost in translation" when you people talk about "local stuff". [Wink]
First thing: 11 years of english course (from 7 to 11 years old). Mom and Dad thought (they're right) it was important to know a second language. Where I studied, they didn't only teach you the language. They made sure you know the culture too. Since it was centered in American english, and I had American teachers only...I had a good grasp in your culture.
Second thing: Cable television. Have it since 1996. It means EVERY U.S. show, most news, etc. is available at home. Since almost all open tv channels are sucky (not only here. Everywhere I know), I've always watched a lot of foreign (meaning mostly American and English, so I could practice my english) tv shows.
Third thing: the joys of Internet. I always liked to chat with english-speaking people and reading News sites such as BBC and CNN (although my english is still faulty).
Fourth thing: I'm a geek! I love science fiction and fantasy books! Although we have good stuff written in Portuguese, I dare to say the best Science Fiction and Fantasy books (to my flawed knowledge) were and are being written in English.

Let's say that most people in Brazil know more about the U.S. than the average American knows about Brazil. It's pretty normal, since, as you said, American culture is exported to the rest of the world. Bu yes...I guess I may know a tad more than some of my countrymen, because of my background (thanks mom and dad).

Now about D&D...Brazil is home to the world's second biggest RPG Convention: the "Encontro Internacional de RPG". It means we have a lot of gamers over here. It's not mainstream yet, for all means. The Media still covers Cons and such as if covering a freak show: "Look! These guys do not play soccer or go to the beach in the weekends! They sit around and fiddle with colored dices, books and miniatures!" [Roll Eyes]
But there are a lot D&D books being written in Brazil, right now. Two of them by a good friend of mine, and I had the honor of being a beta tester. Some times I'm invited by schools or Universities to talk about using D&D (or other RPGs) to help teaching History, Literature and other subjects.

Tsc...tooo long a post.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed Lois McMasters Bujold - the Miles Verkosigan books. And Loved LeGuin's Earth Sea books, and The Left Hand of Darkness, but that was in another world, before every other person was gay. (It was a novel concept back in the 70s)
I found DaVinci Code fun, but not all that original.
MiddleSex is an interesting look at how genes move through the generations . . . . Scary. What else is good in science fiction today?

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Bujold!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was extremely pissed off at the end of the Rama series
I actually liked the end very much... I wonder why I like them. Danzig said they were "hard" science fiction; what does that mean?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
It kinda means that it's science fiction based in actual (or at least possible) science, not in plot devices and character development. In truth, it's more complicated than that, but I'm too sleepy right now...maybe tomorrow I can explain it better, if someone else don't do it instead. [Sleep]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always kind of divided soft and hard sci-fi the same way one normally divides the soft and hard sciences. i.e. soft = novels dealing with sociology, hard = novels dealing with physics. That said, I tend to stay on the soft side of sci-fi. [Smile]

I finished "Garp." Bob, want to start a discussion?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
those who have not, read MANHATTAN LOVERBOY by Arthur Nersesian
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.