FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I'd rather be sick, thank you.

Author Topic: I think I'd rather be sick, thank you.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1517&u=/afp/20040902/od_afp/thailand_urine_offbeat_040902151155&printer=1

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! [Eek!]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
as about one in 10 urine drinkers suffered diarrhea afterwards
[ROFL]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Um..isn't urine made of stuff your body is trying to get rid of? Why would drinking it and putting it BACK in the body help anything?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix, aren't you the same person who posted the "eating your boogers is good for your immune system" article? Are you fixated or something? *smile* (Good to see you around more regularly, too.)

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, that what I've always thought. It's used to get rid of toxins.

I said it before and I'll say it again, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Urine contains urea, a waste product derived from ammonia, which is produced in the breakdown of proteins. It also can contain a variety of other inorganic waste products, including drugs and foreign substances your body is trying to eliminate. Under all normal circumstances, drinking urine is a bad idea.

However, urine does also contain water, as well as useful materials not completely filtered out. (Usually those components are negligible, but in some disorders excess amounts might be lost.) In desperate situations--for instance, when lost in the desert--people have evaded dehydration by drinking urine. Urine can also be used as a disinfectant--it's more toxic to bacteria than to you. Such usage is, however, a last resort, especially in modern society.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Moose: I dunno, when people eat gross things I think it catches everyone's attention. That's why there's always a bug-eating episode of Survivor. Except these people are doing it for health reasons, not to win a million dollars.

Several years ago Headline News ran the same story every half hour for 2 days (I'm a news junky and was even more so way back when.) It was mourning the fading culture of Dirt Eating amongst african-americans in the south east. I've never forgotten that story.. How the woman lead the reporter to the right place to find the best tasting dirt and then got him to chow down on a big spoonful along with her.

I don't really think it's funny.. simply morbidly curious.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
*gags* From what I read, the ancient Aztecs did it as well *shudders* nastier than the blood sacrifices...
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read, the typical belief with urine drinkers is that the bladder is the body's pharmacy, and that as the body senses what is wrong with it, it produces the drugs necessary to treat ailment X, secreting it into the urine. The person then knocks back a warm glass, and is healed. Of course, I don't know if that is the belief of this particular group; not enough information is given. In any case, the theory seems completely ludicrous to me--don't think that I'm advocating it. Lips that touch urine will never touch mine, that's my motto.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fishing with my buddy and asked him to pass the can of worms. As he handed the can to me he said: "it's all your'n peepee."
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
The study was very poorly done. Basically, it was a survey of "Do you drink urine? Do you think it has improved your health? How?" There was no control of the same population with the same environment and diet that didn't drink urine.

Always be especially skeptical when such claims as this are made:

"worked wonders for their overall health and helped slow the ageing process."

"head-to-toe benefits for them, including for example reduction of dandruff, grey hair, sinus problems and cancer"

The only difference between this a traditional quackery is that they can't make a profit from it. However, there does seem to be some religious motivation for pushing this particular cure-all.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me this wasn't published in any reputable paper. I'd like to be able to retain at least a limited amount of respect for my profession.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a folk remedy to solve pink eye (i think it was pink eye) by having urine put into the infected eye.

Suffice it to say, the urine caused a lot more problems than the pink eye.

(Edit: added an "it")

[ September 03, 2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
"Seven Years in Tibet" (the book) mentioned how this was fairly common in Tibet as well. Except, AFAIR, that it was the urine of monks that some the common people would ingest. I don't recall that it was done for "health" reasons. It was more a religious thing- like they were so pure that even their urine was good for you, or something. (That was one of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with the movie. I loved the movie as a story. It was beautiful and symmetrical. But it was also very PC. The guy is basically a jerk until non-western culture teaches him the truth. The book was much more objective about the culture, citing the strong as well as weak points- like drinking the urine of monks.)

I mentioned this to my Aunt who has been to India and the Himalayas and is into all that New Age stuff. She told me the "urine therapy" has been around for a long time and is very common and can be healthy. "The medical industry is a business..."

Needless to say, I was not impressed.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like the picking your nose and eating it study...that somehow that improves your immune system. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.