FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dumb audio question

Author Topic: Dumb audio question
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm toying with the idea of equipping my work with a sound system with which to hook up my computer so I can have some tunes. I found a dirt cheap receiver and some dirt cheap speakers. But the receiver is rated at 100 Watts per channel at 8 ohms, while the speakers are rated at 4-6 ohms. My question is, what would be the consequences of such a pairing. Would it work? Would it decrease the power? Make the sound crappier? Make it quieter? Be unsafe? Necessitate the purchase of a thicker guage of speaker wire? Would it be worth the money to invest in some more expensive 8 ohm speakers? Or do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Current is the limiting factor. If the manufacturer says it can drive 100 Watts into 8 Ohms, then you can safely drive 50 Watts into 4 Ohms or 75 Watts into 6 Ohms. 3.5 Amps is about the safe limit, but most manufacturers have a buffer. So the bottom line is just don't play the speakers so loud. If you start to hear a little distortion turn the volume down some. If you turn it all the way up you run the risk of burning a fuse or the power amp itself. So you should be fine with 4-6 Ohm speakers if you don't turn it up so much.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.