FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone who thinks Ivan is gutless (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone who thinks Ivan is gutless
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Icarus, I did know you were at least near Orlando, wasn't sure if you were actually within city limits.

After posting earlier, though, I found this on NHC: Current satellite imagery Maybe that other image was a composite or something?

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
::smacks forehead::

Goody, dear, look at the URL on my image . . .

You see, there is this famous tourist attraction near us . . . [Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
oh DUH!!!!!!!!!!! I never even realized the similarity to The Ears......

Think I need a nap..... LOL

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Big Grin]

(I'm an obsessive Disney freak, btw.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

The worst part, Icarus, is that I DID see Mickey in the URL the first time! Since I didn't think we were up to the 13th named storm of the year yet, I went to NHC to look up the list of names and saw a different M name... and then my mind did a complete disconnect and failed to pursue it any further.

So I say again... DUH!!!!!!!!! [Wall Bash]

Goody

Icarus
Member # 3162

[ROFL]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Florida postcard
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Awesome! I just bought four of the bumper stickers!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
That's one scary looking storm...

Ivan the Terrible

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It's gonna do a world more hurt when it comes ashore...

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah.

Look!

It's gonna hit Alabama in the 'nads.

[Angst]

[ September 13, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, its not going to hit Tallahassee! Sorry and good luck 'Bama.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus:
quote:
Awesome! I just bought four of the bumper stickers!
Hopefully you will still have a car to put them on... [Big Grin]

Glad to see you are OK though.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pointed at my dad in Mobile.

My parents are not having good luck.

Nor is my, um, Tatiana.

(Um, I just read the "nads" comment. *shudder* I don't have any and it still hurts.)

[ September 14, 2004, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Did you look at the map?
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't the worst case scenario be that it hits New Orleans?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ic: Yes.

(Hey, your name shortened is like a fish disease. That's interesting.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
From Dave Barry's website:

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS UPDATE
If you're girding, bracing and hunkering, you'll appreciate this email we received from a Miami Herald colleague, full of practical advice:

Given the current weather patterns I am recommending that all my friends get the following supplies and immediately put them in the trunk of their car or
stow them in a safe place in their home.

1) A length of rope long enough to HANG yourself if you wind up trapped for
three days in a shuttered house listening to the same blathering nitwits on
TV or radio,standing outside with a microphone mouthing variations of
"yep...it is windy...only an IDIOT would be out HERE".

2) Bottle of tequila, margarita mix and box of kosher salt.

3) Several cases of beer (preferable Guinness which can be consumed warm if
necessary).

4) Pistol (this is Florida...it is always a good idea to have a pistol).

5) A garbage bag full of sleeping pills.

6) Scrabble AND a dictionary (the dictionary is really necessary because
otherwise disputes may be settled with use if emergency item #4).

7) Carl Hiaasen books and a flashlight.

8) Tim Dorsey books and extra batteries.

9) Shotgun (this is Florida...it is always a good idea to have a shotgun).

Patrick Ogle
Miami Herald/Action Line

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Hurrican party at my house! All those who didn't want to miss this storm, here's the place to be.

Icky, do you have some plywood I can borrow?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

After all those admonitions for other people to leave, are you staying in the path of the hurricane?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
ak, you can have my one sheet of plywood. I wonder how many stamps I should stick on it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha, by the time it gets all the way up here it's supposed to be just a tropical storm, so only 75 mph winds, no big deal! [Smile]

I really appreciate the plywood, zan. I think you'd better put a lotta stamps on it! [Smile]

[ September 14, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is just great. I've got family on Dauphin Island (Mobile Bay) and in Gulfport MS. Both are in mandatory evacuation.

It IS weakening though. That's a good sign, maybe it will lose some teeth before it makes landfall.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay, smart people, help me.

What do these probability numbers really mean? Does it mean there is a 25% chance the eye will pass within 65 miles of Gulfport?

I don't know if I'm reading it right.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIASPFAT4+shtml/141429.shtml?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a correct reading Belle.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Number 4 or 5 depending on whether you count Bonnie. Jeanne
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
This Strike Probability Map is a bit more readable than a list of names and numbers.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Man I'm ticked at my mother in law. She refuses to leave, saying "Your daddy never left." Well, Wes' father couldn't leave, he was a cop during Camille and with the Air Force during the others.

She has no clue what to do now, Wes' father passed away in January. She says she can stay and not worry about it. She refused Wes and his brother-in-law when they tried to come down there board up the hosue, and pick her up. Now it's too late, he can't get down there to get her now. And she's not answering her phone or her cell phone.

She got mad, at his sister, and is now refusing to speak to any of them. How selfish is that?? Her kids are only concerned about her.

Now my husband is a nervous wreck. He called the sheriff's dept, to try and get someone to get over there and check on her, make sure she has left. But no one knows where she is.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That sucks, Belle. [Frown]
Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah it does. She's not behaving rationally, and her kids are all freaking.

My mother just called, she is the HR director for a supermarket chain, to tell me the stores are reporting they are out of bread and milk, and need extra cashiers ASAP. The stores are being overrun, in Birmingham.

Of course, over-reacting to weather reports is a local pastime here. [Roll Eyes]

True, they expect us to get some pretty high winds and all, but I don't think we're going to be holed up for months without power or anything.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, I remember that from the near misses when I lived in Virginia Beach. I worked at a grocery store then...pretty brutal.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

How far inland is Birmingham?

BTW, here's another cool chart.

Wind Speed Probability

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, please help me out here - why, the frag, do people buy bread and milk when expecting storms and power outages?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

As long as you've prepared, you can keep milk for a few days after the power goes out. Before Frances came through, our freezer was basically wall to wall ice blocks.

Also, a generator will keep your fridge going. The stores usually have generators and will reopen quickly, but they won't have cold storage. If you want milk and you have a generator, you better get it now.

[ September 14, 2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.