FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Halloween is coming! and I need help.

Author Topic: Halloween is coming! and I need help.
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Halloween is upcoming and soon I will be attending the annual Halloween costume party.
I really do not like dressing up [Grumble] , however I enjoy the company of friends [Smile] .

Each year a different theme is decided upon.

Two years ago was the Lord of the Rings. Very fun, we all dressed as characters, had LotR games, poems, singing etc. Dinner was with traditional medieval recipe's (recipies?).

Last year was just a simple medieval theme to make it easy on all of us who went way over board the year before. A lot of the same stuff.

This year the theme is "Rejected Superheroes".
Think of the movie "Mystery Men".

Well, being my, oh, so uncreative self I need help deciding on what I want to dress up as and making it simple at the same time.

The only ideas I've been able to think of was "Mediocre Man" or "Captain Malaise".
However, I can't think of what either of these so called heroes would wear as a costume.

Any ideas?

Or if you have other ideas of rejected superheroes I could sure use the help.

I don't want to spend a lot of money. It needs to be tasteful and non-vulgar.

I know I can count of the people of Hatrack 'cause you guys are so creative and helpful. [Smile]

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Captain Malaise"
Smoking jacket, eyeshade, copy of Bonjour Tristesse. Black beanie, world-weary sighs, and fuzzy slippers.

You could make the eyeshade and a fake book (or used-bookstore it), go thrift store shopping for the jacket, buy cheap slippers and a cheap hat. Sighs are free. [Smile]

[ September 06, 2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
You could go as earthworm-man and serve mud pies for dessert. Make a spider-man type of costume but have a worm on it instead. You could throw dirt at people instead of slinging webs, but I'm not sure if that will go over well.

What else...Y-man (instead of X-men), Y as in Y chromosome. Dress up in a stereotypical manly fashion (though if we're going for rejects, then it might be better to dress like a stereotypical male slob who sits in front of the TV watching football).

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
You have the power to make people mildly indifferent. Your logo is: [Dont Know]

The rest of your costume doesn't matter - you don't really care.

Your battle cry is, "Eh! Whatever."

You are, Apathy Man!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a whole thread of these ideas.

Wait, it's coming to me...

Crappy Super Heroes!

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=017403#000014

(Why oh why do I remember these things?)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
In my vision of Mediocre Man, he wore a suit and tie and comb-over and was middle management.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I still like Tom D's Capt. Obvious....you would have a very thin mask, so that you still looked like you.... [Big Grin]

And you could go around making obvious statments...

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"The thing about water is, it's powerful wet!"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Monosylabic man. I designed him after a kid I know from school. He in the two years I knew him never said more than a three word sentence, but he was my section leader in orchestra. You could be dressed like a normal teenager (boy would be best, but I don't remember who started this thread).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Blues Brothers
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviousman
PoseableMan

The HumanScorch: buy a longsleeve white shirt and white pants from a thriftstore, then set an iron on various places until it shows iron-shaped scorchmarks.
IronMan: Same outfit, and carry the iron at the party.
The FreePress: Same outfit and same iron. Volunteer to press the wrinkles out of other folk's costumes.
If you want a mask, scorch two barely-nontouching iron-patterns onto a white cloth wider than the iron. Then for eyeholes, cut out the centers of the scorched parts while leaving the scorched edges showing.

[ September 07, 2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Free press! That's a good one!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Skip the party and tell your friends later that you went as Captain Invisible.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
TheTick is always a great source for failed super heroes. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Aspectre
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could go as earthworm-man and serve mud pies for dessert.
This sounds too close to Earthworm Jim, and he's not a rejected anything!

PSI, who's going as Kunimitsu this year

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I say cut neck and arm holes in a garbage bag, and wear it over your regular clothing. Then when someone asks you are you "such and such" smile and say of course! (You are Amorphous man and can be whatever they want you to be [Wink] )

AJ

[ September 07, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
You could dress like my ex and be "Obnoxious Man!" No no, just joking...

You could take a large cardboard tube and paint it to look like a toxic waste drum and wear it over a toxic green sweatsuit. Ta-dah! Guardian of Chernobyl! Lord of Three Mile Island! All normal humanity beware! Toxic-Waste Man is born!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Invisible Man" - damn, my powers are on the blink again.

"Not so Invisible Man" - damn, I'm only invisible when you're not looking.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Does that mean we can see right through you, Trevor?
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Most people can, apparently. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

I knew there was a reason I appreciated you. [Razz]
TMedina
Member # 6649

Bah.

Men are simple, transparent creatures at heart: All we really want is a beer and to see something nekkid.

Ahh, the "Jeff Foxworthy" school of philosophy. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

[Hail] All hail the mighty funny Jeff Foxworthy. A man who understands the redneck psyche and the male psyche as well.

Yes, I know...all men are simple---that's why we love them so. [Grumble]

TMedina
Member # 6649

If we were any more complicated than trying to keep a puppy off a sofa, we just wouldn't be nearly as much fun. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Just leave the complications to us. You guys seem to like the challenge.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Because, with respect to KarlEd, the alternative is just a little squicky.

Although I'm told sheep aren't too baaaaaaad.

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Oh no, not sheep jokes too. Ewwww
TMedina
Member # 6649

Shouldn't that be, "ewe?" [Big Grin]

"Or did I just miss the pun entirely," he asked sheepishly.

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Just don't add any Scotsmen to the mix...
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hmmm...

If we say a Scots on ice, has he been kilt?

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Yea, but don't ask him to raise it for you.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Nah, I doubt he'd skirt the issue like that.

Although the phrase "mutton honey" takes on whole new levels of disturbing now. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.