FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » At the Risk of Being a Prude (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: At the Risk of Being a Prude
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm, what do you want me to say, MPH? Would you like me to couch the above in, "which you may or may not believe"? I thought it was perfectly reasonable to just say that perhaps you don't. After all, saying that you do when you just said that's not what you said would be rude. So sorry I tried for the apparent less rude approach.

You can still answer my hypothetical, though. It would help me in understanding the statement you did say.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The argument unmarried people shouldn't have sex because it discourages thinking about the relationship certainly seems to apply to married people as well if it applies at all. Do you think it only holds true for unmarried people? if so, why, and if not, why do you think it should change the decision for all unmarried people but if any only some married people?

Also, sex can help tighten emotional bonds between people, something I'm pretty sure most of you married people wouldn't argue with. If two people want to spend their lives together but just don't want to get married, isn't that closeness supportive of sex?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
How many healthy, long term relationships stem from people who jump into bed with each other the first chance they get?

I think the point here was hastiness. Someone who chooses to build a stable relationship before getting too physical gets similar benefits to the person who doesn't have sex until after marriage.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

That wasn't what was said at all, what was said was that premarital sex was stupid.

For instance, I think there's a decent likelihood I'm going to have premarital sex at some point, but its only going to be with someone I'm in a committed, long term relationship with and would be willing to accept the consequences of sex with.

Lots of people wait until they're in a healthy, long term relationship before having sex yet still have premarital sex.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Fugu, I have a certain amount of respect for that. What I said before about my beliefs still stands, but I imagine if I were not religious at all, I would feel as you do. As for what Scott said, I think he was just trying to make people mad. I wouldn't take it too seriously.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
He was trying to make people mad? I thought it was just another stupid dobie that somehow turned into a semi-serious thread. Guess I'm the stupid one here.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, I know what Scott was about [Wink] .

*pies Scott*

However, I think a lot of people were jumping on the bandwagon that premarital sex was obviously stupid without thinking through situations where no, it is not, unless one brings religious justifications into it.

beverly
Member # 6246

Who are all these people who jumped on the bandwagon?

Edit: Scott did repeat his statement a lot. If you weren't looking to see who was posting, you might have got the impression that people were jumping on the bandwagon. But I looked back, and not a single person appears to have done so.

[ September 07, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, but I think that if you are in a committed-everythings-going-peachy relationship, one must keep in mind that even if the plan is to marry that person, it may not happen. That way if it ends your life isn't over.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
dabbler -- first you jumped all over me for saying something that I didn't say. I explained that I didn't say that. You than graciously accepted my correction and said "I'll believe that you don't believe what I stated above." I just didn't want to leave you thinking you know my views about this, because you don't.

As far as sharing how I feel about it, I'll decline the invitation for now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Although, with how short marriages last these days, I could make a similar point about marriage! You don't know if it is going to last, so why bother?

Just playin' Devil's Advocate. [Evil]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
As detailed in my landmark, I had sex after dating someone for two years (before marriage) and it stunk. On the other hand, I got married after dating for about two months, which was rapidly followed by normal marital relations. So I would tend against the natural law- don't jump into sex too hastily argument.

Anyway, I'm sure this thread was a dobie of the Rude thread and not associated in any way with my landmark. But in general I'd agree that pre-marital sex is stupid. Anyone who disagrees needs to watch "Bed of Roses" tonight. Not because it is a sobering moral tale. Just to savor the stupidity.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ahhhh, good movie with a bittersweet ending. Wisdom to be found there.

I will say this: for those of you in healthy, long-term relationships and for those of you who are not, and are planning on having sex, I sincerely hope you are prepared for the possibility of pregnancy. I am assuming that the guy has not had a vasectomy or the girl her tubes tied. But even with birth control, pregnancies happen.

So what would you do? Abort? Adopt out? Keep the child but not marry? Marry and raise the child? These are important issues. I hate the fact that pre-marital sex contributes so much to the high number of abortions that happen since I find abortion-for-convenience repugnant and vile.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remembering much about Bed of Roses. All I really remember was that the message of the movie seemd to be that chicks dig stalkers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I remember something about the girl abusing the guy's trust again and again to the point that he couldn't believe her feelings for him. In the end, he took her back, but things were not "hunky dory". He was very wary of being hurt again. The message I got was that trust is a precious thing and shouldn't be abused.

There were moments in our relationship that reminded me of that movie. I felt like I did to you what that girl did to that guy.

[ September 07, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
About homosexual people not being able to have sex because they aren't married:

These kinds of individuals would be religious, I expect, as the belief that "sex before marriage is wrong" is a religious belief.

Any such person would also have to align themselves with a religion in which homosexual relations were not sinful. There are quite a few Christion denominations for which this is true, and their pastors will perform marriage ceremonies for homosexual couples.

In the religious world, divine authority trumps government authority. Therefore, I feel it is silly to wait for the government to sanction your marriage. A homosexual person looking to marriage as a religious commitment to their spouse CAN get married to their beloved same sex partner. I was once acquainted with one couple like this, and currently know a different couple very well who is married under their religious law. Even their last name is the same, another sign of marriage.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Giving in to base desires without giving the requisite forethought qualifies for the stupidity label. Many things done in the heat of the moment are stupid. Assigning the stupidity tag exclusively to premarital sex is baiting the hook. Engaging in premarital sex carries no greater intellectual onus than any other emotion laden (influenced) decision.

Edit to qualify the term laden.

[ September 07, 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few religions that condemn me for eating pork. But I don't let it stop me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not go about the forum trying to make people mad.

Because if I did, this would be a pretty miserable place.

But I do believe that sex before marriage is stupid, and I think this topic's header made a fetching Dobbie.

So, there you go.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

pooka: Given that you had sex with the person you'd been dating for two years for admittedly unhealthy reasons, I don't exactly think that serves as a counterexample.
punwit
Member # 6388

Encouraging lively debate doesn't qualify (in my book) as inciteful. I wasn't irritated I was just stating my opinion. If you thought my baiting the hook comment was critical I apologize. I enjoy exchanges like this.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I like all the above ideas.

Here's what I believe, Scott R, and according to it you're wrong...

Deep inside a pound there lives a conrolling force, which goes by the name Ar'MaNo. From it comes all the energy of living and life.

Now this force wants the following from us:

a) To have sex daily
b) To offer it a cow every month

The force loves us with all its will. However, We are its Children and it is up to Us to prove Our devotion to It.

This force does realize that many do not believe in it. For those many individuals, there is a way out -- if they repent and realize the error of their ways.

If they don't, and refuse to accept the Sex/Offering combination of Godly love...then they will be distanced from the true Maker, and that is an unpleasent way to spend eternity.

The force *is* forgiving. So don't worry too much -- just accept its love, and you'll be saved.

[ September 07, 2004, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Phanto ]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
o_O
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that many people have sex for the "wrong reasons." Or, that there are wrong reasons to have sex. Ultimately, a reason is wrong (to me) if it will cause you or the other person physical or emotional harm.

So, lets say that in many cases, sex outside of marriage leads to a harmful outcome. Does this mean you should never have sex outside of marriage? I argue no.

Someone recently admitted that he's a sore loser. Many of us are sore loses at games. Some of us are even terrible losers who hurt people they're close to and themselves when they lose. Does this mean they should never play games with their friends? I don't think so. I think it would be to their benefit to learn how to deal with losing in a more appropriate manner, because it'll make them a better person than refusing to play games with people for the rest of his life.

Not everyone is a sore loser. Not everyone is harmed by having sex outside of a marriage.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Giving in to base desires without giving the requisite forethought qualifies for the stupidity label.
That, for me anyway, goes right to the heart of the issue and spells out exactly what the problem is. I (coming from my agnostic standpoint) don't think there is anything inherently "sinful" about pre-marital sex. I just think people rush into it too quickly. They should be in a loving, committed relationship before they climb into bed together, and they should both discuss it beforehand to make sure both partners are actually ready and are not just giving in to base lust.

But the same could be said for a lot of actions. I have exactly the same opinion about marriage itself, though you can change "lust" to "twitterpation" or whatever else you like. I think the divorce rate would go down dramatically if people were required to have a lengthy waiting period before they were allowed to be married. Then once the hormones wore off, if they found out they were a bad match after all, they wouldn't now be stuck in a marriage to get out of.

Basically, I think people should just slow down and not rush into things so much. Most of our worst mistakes come when we didn't give enough thought to what we were doing before we did it.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

*ahem*

And those having sex should be prepared for the possibility of pregnancy and parenthood. Accidents happen. Abortions-of-convenience shouldn't.

But no one wants to think about that, do they?

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossible to mix two peoples sets of ideals to come up with a logical belief system.

My own beliefs concerning sex are consistent because I don't consider abortions evil. But you can't expect me to apply your belief that abortion should not be a matter of convenience to my belief that sex can be had outside of marriage.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
without first finding out if you're sexually compatible with each other
And sometimes all you find out is that you've just given it up to a wanker who only wanted to get off. I guess you could count that as knowledge gained. So we're not talking 100-percent stupid.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Giving in to base desires without giving the requisite forethought qualifies for the stupidity label.
Since when is it a "base desire" to want to give pleasure to someone else? Touching is a good thing.

Incidentally, don't be religious before death.

It's just stupid.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

"Touching is a good thing."

It is no more inherently good or evil than green is.

"Incidentally, don't be religious before death."

Are you saying that we should wait until after death?

Probably not -- I'm guessing that you are just saying that being religious at all is "just stuipid".

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd simply like to point out that I'm more communicative with people I am physically close to... despite arguments earlier in the thread made that people having sex don't communicate as well.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And those having sex should be prepared for the possibility of pregnancy and parenthood. Accidents happen. Abortions-of-convenience shouldn't.
Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're okay with the possible consequences (remote though they may be if multiple contraceptive methods are used in concert), go ahead and have all the sex you want.

I think "sex before marriage is stupid" is taking things much too far, though, particularly for people like me who don't have any plans to get married (but who ARE interested in maintaining stable, committed relationships at some juncture).

(I may get married someday, but it'll only be in a church if that's what my fiancée wants.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since when is it a "base desire" to want to give pleasure to someone else?
Since when is the desire to give pleasure to someone else the primary motivation of pre-marital sex? I'm not saying no one ever has sex for that reason--I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that do--but I'd say selfish hedonism is a far more common reason for sex, at least outside a committed relationship.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
To make "sex befor marriage" a "stupid thing," one would have to find importante significance in the consept of marrige, and sence I dont believe ther ahve been laws regulating virginity for a century, it would mostlikely be religious regulation.

Should all people be held to this regulation?

Why should it be anyone's buisness what two consenting adults want to do?

...intresting how this argument sounds simmiler to arguments for homosexual marriges as well...

Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

He never said that pre-marital sex should be regulated.

He just said that it's stupid.

But this is America, where everybody has the right to be stuipd.

kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He just said that it's stupid.

and I repeat, why should he care what two consenting adults are doing?
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Why does having an opinion mean he cares about what you do?

I think watching soap operas is stupid, but I don't really care if you watch them or not.

edit: I don't really think that watchin soap operas is much more stupid than some of the things I waste my time on.

[ September 07, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Vera
Member # 2094

- posted      Profile for Vera   Email Vera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Incidentally, don't be religious before death."

Are you saying that we should wait until after death?

Probably not -- I'm guessing that you are just saying that being religious at all is "just stuipid".

Actually, I'm pretty sure what he was trying to do was to make an offensive statement similar in form to the one that started this thread in order to show why it (the statement that started this thread) could be hurtful to some people.

Maybe not the best way of going about that, but he does have a point.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can't imagine that anybody really would need to have it explained why that statment is offensive. I substantively agree with it, but I would never phrase it in such an offensive manner.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But no one wants to think about that, do they?
bev, I don't mean this facetiously: a lot of people do. This is why many people support Planned Parenthood -- not because of access to abortions (which may or may not be provided at individual clinics), but because of the importance of family planning.

There is a reason why various other countries have a higher rate of birth control use, lower rate of teenage pregnancy, and lower rate of elective abortion.

If you were to be suggesting that engaging in any unnecessary action which may have dire consequences for others is immoral (and I realize you are not making this claim), then you would not be driving a car, and you would be active in abolishing individual car use. Over a period of five years, a sexually active, fertile, heterosexual couple using a condom with spermicide foam and birth control pills, both correctly (at least, as correctly as is viable for people -- not just in the lab) has a higher risk for one of them being in a car accident than of getting pregnant.

(I'm sure of that, but if anyone disbelieves it and it would make a difference to them, I could go through the calculations.)

Doesn't mean it's okay to jump like bunnies with the nearest stranger every night -- just that it is possible to have sex responsibly and with a reasonable certainty of not getting pregnant (a certainty much stronger than that of not being involved in a vehicular accident).

[ September 07, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Woohoo! Validation from Sara! Now to run out and pick up some sort of supreme hottie...

(Okay, so I'm kidding.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Sara go.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Hey Eddie, is it just me, or does Sara have a legion of young, handsome, male fans?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief. The last thing I want is to be symbolic of anything to anybody. But it so happens that you are right (about the pregnancy part), young man. [Smile]

(I still don't think jumping into sex is a good idea, I don't think most people are ready to do it responsibly when they first do it, and I am convinced there is a plethora of extremely good reasons not to have sex before the age of thirty. But that's another story.)

[Y'all need a mother figure, that's all, and I'm safe because I'm 1)married 2)stern 3)aged and 4)rather feeble. S'okay, I know the score. [Wink] ]

[ September 07, 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

King of Men -- My statement holds true. Any action taken in the throes of heated emotion that isn't preceded by forethought qualifies for the tag stupid. I'm NOT religious and I don't have anything against premarital sex. My point was that any action taken while in the grip of heated desire will not be reasonably considered. Assigning the stupidity tag to premarital sex was a bit exclusive in my opinion. Having sex without considering the possibility of conception or life-threatening disease is idiotic. If a couple have discussed these issues and are aware of the consequences then (in my opinion) they are not behaving stupidly.

[ September 07, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't necessarily think that religion and abstinence must go hand-in-hand - I know religious people who have had sex before marriage, and my own beliefs about virginity have nothing to do with marriage. I'm Catholic, but not so strongly Catholic that I would abstain from sex because the Church says it's wrong. My reasons would be purely personal. I believe that it's impossible to make the generalization of "Sex Before Marriage Is Stupid, Period." Everyone is different and relationships vary. Sex before marriage without preparation for the consequences, and without safety measures being taken, is stupid. I think too many immature people have sex without realizing the potential outcomes, but a few people do actually think about it, talk about it, and plan for what they will do if pregnancy occurs. It's stupid to be unprepared, but the act itself, given proper thought and not done rashly or without hesitation, can't be called stupid on a purely logical sense. By religious or moral standards, perhaps...but intelligent, good people DO have sex before marriage, and ARE prepared for what may happen, and deal with it in a responsible, mature manner. At the risk of sounding...old....I'll say: don't have sex AT ALL until you are prepared to deal with a child, married or not. Birth control is not infallible. Don't give it your complete trust. You should test for STD's before having sex with anyone anyway, so that shouldn't be a worry. Just make mature decisions, and for God's sake think them through and always have a Plan B, in case things DON'T go as planned.

That's just my take on it.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

I don't know, but she sure as hell has us.

Though now that she's established herself as a mother figure, I feel dirty...

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Big Grin]

I'm in kind of a silly mood tonight. This thread, for all its seriousness, is fun. [Smile]

Lalo
Member # 3772

Er. So, Jane, does this mean my propositions to you have a decent shot? Or what? Cuz I'll test for STDs beforehand if that's what it takes. No, no, no need to thank me, I just consider it my duty to help you feel comfortable. A gentleman, that's what I am. A noble in an age of savages. A man for others. Totally selfless! Utterly thoughtful! My god why hasn't that man had a statue made of him yet...
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

You are dirty, Lalo. No sex (with other people) before you're thirty. And wash behind your ears. [Big Grin]

[Wave] to twinky
It's the hours before midnight that count in sleep, you know. Have you been eating your canned tomatoes?

Although if one were to really want to kill the sexual interest of silly young men, opening up the photographic Atlas of Sores and Rashes would do most nicely.

*fixes you, Lalo, with a stern eye

Be polite to Avardu. Home by seven. No vans. Or you will have to read aloud from the Atlas.

[You know, my mother used to make my brother and me read aloud from the letter of Revelation while on our knees, and for relatively small transgressions, like forgetting to put clothes in the laundry hamper. It was quite effective, even if terribly traumatic.]

[ September 07, 2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.