FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oy - the things we feel the need to study...

Author Topic: Oy - the things we feel the need to study...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Exercise can help reduce obesity

I can't muster the energy a study like this demands.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
duh
I hated gym when I was a kid. I never understand why they can't teach kung fu in gym! I'd be a master by now...
Speaking of Kung fu...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Based on that, the researchers believe that giving kindergartners at least five hours of physical education time per week — the amount recommended by the federal government — could potentially reduce the prevalence of obesity and overweight among girls by 43 percent.
No fair. Kindergarteners get more PE and naptime.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a morning stretch with my class, and often we do it after recess to calm their little hormones down. They love it, and complain that they get stiff over vacation when they don't do it. It is just five or ten minutes of slow stretches. Sometimes I put music on, and we dance. If I knew yoga, I bet they would love that too.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Endemic warfare also reduces obesity.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the amount recommended by the federal government
You know, it's pretty pathetic when we have to have the goverment recommend that our children exercise. As a parent, I would think that sort of a gimme, thus the famous mom war cry "Go outside and play!"

[ September 08, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Jess N ]

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Well, it's so much easier to let them mildew in front of the tv or the X-Box variant or (shhhh!) the computer.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Yeah, I can see your point. My kids don't own an Xbox or Nintendo on the basis that I say the things rob them of their imagination.

They play on the computer, but we spend time outside and do other things too. I guess I just can't take the easy route of not being a heavy in their lives.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You'll have to forgive my hidden sarcasm tags - but given the levels of obesity in US society, you'd think some things would just be...well...common sense.

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

Let's see---

Americans and common sense

Common sense and Americans

Didn't you know that one of the secret American rules of grammar is that you can no longer put those two terms together in the same sentence?

Within the last 40 years, we have lost our food common sense. Things that my mom took for granted that was common dietary sense, are no longer even thought about.

I have a friend at church and all her kid will eat is McDonalds (he's six). Now, rather than putting her foot down and saying that famous mom word, "No," followed by the other famous mom phrase, "Now eat your vegetables," she acqueses (I know I spelled it wrong) and gives him the chicken nuggets. Why? Because it's easier than getting him to eat the food that he should have learned to eat by now. She wants to make him happy . Because of this, she has doomed him health wise. It's sad...moms no longer have food sense.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Erk.

That reminds me of the parents buying their 10-year old a keyboard for his PDA because "his handwriting was so bad he couldn't read his notes."

-Trevor

Jess N
Member # 6744

That fall under the same philosophy of doing the kid's homework. Why should he have to work that hard?

My kids have it rough. They have me as a mom. My daughter is saving to buy her own PDA and both my son and daughter do their own homework. I have told them I have enough of my own homework to worry with and besides, I've already been through 4th and 6th grade.

I get scared sometimes when I think of the generation we're raising. A lot of them are going to be worthless little whiners. Some of them will be strong and smart and hopefully they will run the country. Like I tell my kids, it's ok to be geeks. Geeks rule the world.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yoga is great! Makes you feel about 8 years old again. I totally recommend it.

Once when my niece was about 8, in fact, she challenged me to a game of "can you do this" and because of doing yoga I was able to keep up with her completely when she stood on her head, put her foot behind her neck, did the lotus position and then balanced on her hands, and lots of other cool kid things like that. [Smile]

Plus it's much easier to reach your toenails when you want to paint them.

But I never could kiss my elbow. Someone told me when I was little that if I did that I would turn into a boy. I tried for the longest time but never managed it. I guess I'm stuck being a girl, huh. Too bad!

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Well now, hey, there are always plenty of demands around here for some kind of statistics or scientific backing to make a statement "valid." I, for one, am always grateful to find an article like that because then I have something to quote in the nice, fluffy articles about health I occasionally have to write. It looks so much more official when someone else says it--especially when they have the results of 20 individuals to back them up.

And at one point scientists "discovered" that smoking was bad for health. Lots of people going "duh" back then, too, I'm sure. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, I was one of those parents who bought a keyboard for my son because "no one could read his handwriting." His handwriting is one of a cluster of symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. I'm not saying the ten-year-old mentioned earlier in the thread had anything of the sort… but no one would know looking at my son, hanging out with him casually, that my son has Tourette's, and there were definitely other parents and teachers who disagreed with his use of the keyboard on "philosophical" grounds similar to those I'm reading here. Sometimes parents make decisions for their kids that outsiders aren't qualified to criticize.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.