FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's my turn

Author Topic: It's my turn
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
...to be offended by one of Card's World Watch columns.

quote:
third-party votes are wasted and harmful...

The time for idealogical purity, in other words, says Hewitt, is not during election season.

I don't believe parties are in the inspired Constitution of this country. Please correct me if I am wrong. And recall that at one time, the Republicans were a third party. I'm a little fuzzy on whether the Democrats ever were.

I oppose spending millions of dollars on killing our own people, whether they be unborn or convicted murderers. I'm not saying all of death row is actually innocent, but considering how much money it actually takes to pursue a death sentence to it's conclusion, it's fairly disgusting to me. If you believe in capital punishment, fine. But like the abortionists, I think you should do it on your own dollar.

That and I do think some gun control is warranted. As I've said in the past, I don't seen why anyone needs more guns than they have fingers.

I realize a party that is sane will lack passion. Who wants to give their life for common sense?

And I will vote dem for congress to punish the Utah Republicans for gerrymandering my district. In the spirit of the remainder of Card's piece, evil must be fought wherever it rears it's head.

P.S. I would actually be kind of happy if we could get Orrin Hatch out of office. I guess that betrays that this isn't the first World watch that I have vehemently disagreed with.

[ September 08, 2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself am no fan of Hatch.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't agree with that sentiment either. This time I am voting Democrat, because that vote has the greatest likelihood of accomplishing my highest priority. But in past elections I have voted for third party candidates, knowing that it was virtually impossible for them to win, hoping that my vote could contribute to the growth of other alternatives, and help send a message to the politics as usual people.

Keep in mind, though, that that might not actually be Card's opinion. He was writing about another book, and representing what it stated.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak truth to power, woman, and shame the devil. [Smile]

(Well said.)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided to write in Pedro Sanchez.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
What Icky said. In WA we actually have three major parties (Libertarians) and I think it is due to people in our state NOT settling for the lesser of two evils.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Voting for the hardliners is good. The longer you put off a civil war, the worse it will be in the end, so why not draw the lines and fight it out now?

I think that you only need three firearms; one heavy/sniper weapon, one assault rifle, basic sidearm. And of course however many knives you find useful.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.