FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love my country (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I love my country
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law just came over to the USA from Albania. She goes walking constantly and can't get used to the idea that you can actually cross a street at a light without having to run for your life so you don't get hit.

Last week she saw a minor car accident and was astonished that the people involved weren't physically beating the hell out of each other. The very idea that these people had enough faith in police and the legal system that they could handle an accident rationally was incomprehensible to her.

It's amazing how a traffic-cop budget can transform a society. And to any of you police officers out there... [Hat]

Anyone else have any non-partisan reasons that you love the country that you live in?

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Supermarkets... I hate working at one, but they are a miracle. All that food in one place.
It's something I marvel at all the time.
And the melting pots and salad bowls... Those are always nice... having a sushi place next to a pizza and chinese and Indian food place...
I'll think of less ridiculous things later.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Because my family came here with nothing, 3 generations ago (at least some of them), and my Grandfather was Vice-President of US Steel...

My dad was so poor as a child that his teachers took up a collection to buy him new sneakers (to replace his holey ones), and now he is a Manager for JC Penny's, and owns 3 homes. (One to be sold next year when he retires.) He barely graduated, and only had 2 years of jr college...and 4 years in Korea with the Army.

Because my Aunt Maureen was a full Colonal in the Marine Corps, and was in the second class of women to pass OCS; she later became the first woman to ever command a Nuclear Sub in battle school operations. (She wasn't Capt of it, but she was in charge of the OPP forces, and so had overall command of the sub, a first ever in Navy and Marine history!)

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
Because my family came here one generation ago...wait a second, what does that have to do with anything? Besides, just as much of my family came here more like 10 generations ago.

Well, whatever. I love this country because you can tell your superior officers you're not proud to be an American and they don't shoot you.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my country too.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
having a sushi place next to a pizza and chinese and Indian food place...
Hmm, methinks that's a partisan reason to love your country. I don't think that would be too apt a description of red America.

Incidentally, it's the reverse here in Canada, the Liberal party is associated with red and the Conservatives with blue. I just got back from up north working on a cattle ranch, and I must say, I am happy to be back in Vancouver, where I can have sockeye sashimi for dinner. That's not to say that I didn't have it up north, but that's only when I could fish it out of the river.

<edit> Alexa, on the basis of your list, you might feel more at home in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia. </edit> [Razz]

[ September 09, 2004, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you all.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I love your country too, jebsy. In one year, when you're an adult, I will come and live with you.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just happy that we have the opportunity to shout at the top of our lungs what we like, or don't like, as the case may be.

Just the freedom to have and express an opinion is wonderful.

Let's face it, we've got it good here, and we've been extremely blessed.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to second Syn's statement. I love our supermarkets too. At risk of sounding like a broken record, I never realized how lucky we were until I took my mother-in-law to a grocery store for the first time. It was, by American standards, kind of a small and run-down place. We just went in to get her a toothbrush... and you should have seen her jaw drop. In Albania you'd go into a small corner market and ask for a toothbrush and they'd hand you one. The sight of a wall of toothbrushes of all shapes, sizes and colors, with different firmness, bendy handles, some even with motors, left her completely speechless.

Oh, and just for the record, a variety of restaurants is not a partisan issue. I live in one of the reddest states in the union, and we have some great restaurants... Persian, Korean, Brazilian, Tex-Mex, Tibetan, Columbian, Mongolian, Salvedorenian, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Greek, Bosnian... the end is listless, as they say. Maybe that's why Americans are so fat. We never run out of new stuff we have to try. I can't imagine living in a place where I'd have to settle on a single national dish, no matter how good it is. I'm sure I'd be skinnier, but I'd be much less satisfied.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed...Salvadoran. And what, no Peruvian??? Horrors!

And yes, I was going to post in response to Chaeron's statement as well. I think that Republicans enjoy a good nosh as much as Democrats do. I suppose that was an "anti-immigration" reference, but really, even that's not a hard & fast rule.

But if it was a statement about the GOP being the party of white upper class xenophobes, I think it's an incorrect characterization.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, America, Sweet Land O' Liberty...

How I love my country...

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Speed, I loved your first post in this thread. I work with lots of traffic cops and I think they would love to hear that kind of sentiment. Might I suggest that you send a note of thanks to your local PD expressing it just the way you have there. Those folks are often considered the bottom of the totem pole in police work. But I'm with you, an orderly society at the level of street traffic is an amazing thing and it probably helps us to avoid a lot of problems in other areas.

Traffic cops rarely get the kind of appreciation you just expressed.

I forwarded it to a law enforcement buddy of mine. I think he'll really appreciate it.

[ September 09, 2004, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I love you too, Tick.
WraithSword
Member # 6829

- posted      Profile for WraithSword   Email WraithSword         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say, our law enforcement and justice system is one of the many things that I don't really love about this country.

Really, pretty much nothing that came after the 18th Ammendment really excites my interest. Of course, idiot things that I really detest go back all the way to the beginning.

But this isn't really the thread for it.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
In one year, when you're an adult, I will come and live with you.
Yea, as if I'm some desperate teen who wants to live with a hot, blonde, intelligent, long-legged, Polish girl.

The very idea is ridiculous.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

::swoons::

I'm sure that's meant in a sisterly way, Kama. [Wink] Otherwise my wife will definitely think I went to Kamacon to flirt. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Why, didn't you?
TheTick
Member # 2883

No, of COURSE not.

It was a side benefit.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Supermarkets... I hate working at one, but they are a miracle. All that food in one place.
It's something I marvel at all the time.

I will third this concept. My father made it a point to take my cousin to Xtra (a now-defunct chain of mega-grocery stores, the size of a Wal-Mart and open all night) when he came over from Cuba just to watch his eyes bulge! [Big Grin] Imagine that all the groceries you ever bought were rationed, and that the stores were tiny (smaller than a Stop-N-Rob) and had bare shelves more often than not and you go, in the middle of the night, to a grocery store bigger than many apartment complexes! He about had a heart attack.

-o-

In the same vein for me, a totally predictable answer for those that know me: Disney.

My father took my cousin to Xtra. I took him to Disney World. [Cool]

[ September 09, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Yea, as if I'm some desperate teen who wants to live with a hot, blonde, intelligent, long-legged, Polish girl.

The very idea is ridiculous.

Is it?

quote:

Jebus:

I never said I don't want to marry you, Falka. I just said I didn't want to marry you yet. I'm only 17, give me some time, please.

I think we need to have a KamaCon of our own, don't you?

Falka:

Well then what are you waiting for?

Jebus:

...for you to come over to Ireland...

jebus202
Member # 2524

Evidence? Hah, that'll never hold up in court.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my country (just select "english" at the right side of the screen). I think it's one of the most beautiful places in the world, although we still have many problems that must be solved.

Hey, even OSC loves Brazil. Ender married Novinha, who has brazilian heritage. So...Ender loves Brazil too. Everybody loves Brazil [Big Grin]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I hate Brazil. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected: everybody but Icarus. [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ender married Novinha, who has brazilian heritage.
Eduardo, while I love Brasil too, I HATE Novinha. I hate her more than any other character in literature. She's not a very good poster child for anything positive.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Aha...Novinha had brazilian "heritage", but she wasn't brazilian. She wouldn't have survived childhood here [Wink] .

To tell you the truth, I also find Novinha very annoying. I just think it's cool that Ender's wife has brazilian heritage.

It's amazing how smart people can choose poor soulmates, isn't it?

Thanks god I'm stupid. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rate good dental care as one of the things I really like about living in the US. Of course, all of the things that we've been talking about here are really more the plusses of living in a first world country rather than the plusses of living in any particular first world country, aren't they?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Novinha. I suspect I love Novinha for the same reason Ender did. I always liked her - she was passionate, she was in an impossible situation, and she got Ender.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the midst of a compelling temptation to post something really acrid about health care in America.

I suppose to be fair I should say something nice. And I think ethnic food is my nice thing.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you expect that most contries have plenty of patriotic songs as well?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

I hated Novinha. Card only seemed to be able to write two types of main characters to me: Irrational or intelligent. The irrational ones like Novinha and Quara never made any sense to me. I didn't buy the tough background bit, they were both extremely intelligent and had lived many years happily and (maybe I'm being naive here) should have been able to overcome their problems. The intelligent ones seemed like different, lesser versions of Ender.

This is all purely from the SftD, Xenocide and CotM books that I'm speaking from here. All though mainly Xenocide and CotM, since in SftD Card was able to use simple "types" for the kids (the leader, the kind one, the religious one, the quiet one, the angry one).

Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
Don't you expect that most contries have plenty of patriotic songs as well?
No, you know, why would a country with hundreds of years of struggle for independence have any patriotic songs at all? [Wink]
WraithSword
Member # 6829

Yeah, everyone has good songs. It's kind of lame to post "I love my nation's patriotic songs".

I think the correct response for Novinha is pity. We're supposed to be impressed with the fact that Ender feels compassion and love for her, while we have difficulty not wanting her eaten by...er...stupid planet with no large carnivores!

Quara is sort of a spin-off of that idea, I think. You know, to make us admire...eh, Miro, probably. Or maybe the entire family, just by contrast to how screwed up she was. I don't know, I just liked the teleporting Kung-Fu that Peter uses in the end. That would be the major draw in a movie version, Peter and Wang-Mu teleporting around and beating up entire battalions of security guards.

Too bad they already did that in X-2.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
It's kind of lame to post "I love my nation's patriotic songs".
I disagree. I think it's kind of lame to criticize people for any answer to a "what do you like" question.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Whooo hooo! Go Brazil and Poland and Albania!
[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I have a feeling that the patriotism in America is a little strong compared to most other countries
Um..... ever been to Mexico?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WraithSword
Member # 6829

Okay, well I love that my country has a breathable atmosphere. I also love me, one of the residents of my country. I really love grass and flowers, which...you know what's sad?

Grass, flowers, breathable air, and me really are some of the major reasons I love my country.

Crap. I'm so lame for posting that [Grumble]

Icarus
Member # 3162

WraithSword, you missed the point. She was not saying she loves the fact that America has patriotic songs, but that she loves the songs themselves.
WraithSword
Member # 6829

I love the grass and flowers and air and me of my country. And while I should be ashamed to admit that these are among the important things that I think of when I think of how much I love my country, I suppose I'm not.

But I still should be. Or at least, I recognize that I'm pretty lame for loving those things better than so many other things.

Annie
Member # 295

I love patriotic songs from other countries more than I love my own. I think a key to me liking a country is how seriously they take soccer.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Wraith, I disagree. You like things thatae important to you for some reason, so it isn't lame.

Even if patriotic songs DO beat up flowers all the time... [Razz]

Here are some great a capella songs...click on The Star Spangled Banner, or Battle Hymn of the Repbulic. They are great.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
We drive on the right side of the road here.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Annie, than you must like Brazil A LOT! [Wink]
I mean...no other country takes soccer as serious as Brazil. German, Italy and Argentina try hard, but they play something that's not quite soccer [Evil Laugh] .

About Novinha: not even the pequeninos tried to plant her. She would drive the father-trees crazy. [Wink] And to tell you the truth, I agree with Porter. I wanted to beat her badly while reading the books.

About patriotic songs: I guess every country has many of them. Here I can remember "Fibra de Herói", "Hino à República", "Exaltação à Pátria"...

In truth, I must say that we don't have such a strong martial tradition as other countries, such the U.S. or Poland. Brazilian history is kinda bloodless if compared to what other people suffered (the military dictatorship in the 70's tried to 'mitigate' such difference, though) through the centuries. So, I guess "defend our country" songs were never a big hit over here.

There's also, like I said, the matter of the military dictatorship. For 20 years, we had to sing such songs every day before school, the censorship used such songs to fill in for shows they used to "cut" from tv and radio. Thus, older people now knida...hate military songs.

I prefer songs who tells about the beauties of my country, such as "Aquarela do Brazil", "Corcovado", "Cidade Maravilhosa"... could you tell me about some songs that tells about the beauties of the U.S. and not about wars or fighting? I'd like to hear them.

Annie
Member # 295

When I was little, Eduardo, my favorite patriotic song was America the Beautiful because it was inspired by and written in my home state of Colorado. [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

"This land is your land," by Woody Guthrie
(Which was written in response to Irving Berlin's "God Bless America")

[ September 09, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

I've heard that song before, Annie, but you nailed it! It was about this kind of song I was talking about. I like these ones more than the "defend the motherland and kill the enemies" songs, although they have their uses.

Icarus: I liked the lyrics, but unfortunatelly, I don't know the tune.

[ September 09, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"This Land is Your Land" and "America the Beautiful" are not about war at all.

edit: Crap! I didn't realize that my answers were already on the 2nd page!

Well, at least I'm in good company. [Smile]

[ September 09, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Eduardo, you can see a spoof of "This Land Is Your Land" here.

edit: So that you can hear the tune

[ September 09, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.