FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ivan + Gulag Guantanamo = ?

Author Topic: Ivan + Gulag Guantanamo = ?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurricane Ivan is headed for Cuba.

Is Guantanamo Bay going to be hit by it?

Have we finished construction of the prisoner camp well enough that all the "detainees" will be safe?

Are there plans to evacuate the detainees if not?

What would be the political outcome if some died in the storm, drowning in their open cells, or crushed under a collapsed prison wall?

What is the US Government's moral responsibility to such a situation?

Since the Government is the one that chose to consider these people as neither crimminals or prisoners of war, just captives to be held until we win the war on "terror" (which the President once admitted, could never be completly won), are we responsible for their safety?

Why hasn't anyone in the press asked these question?

[ September 10, 2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually wondering about this very thing on the way in to work this morning.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you take away someone's ability to protect themselves, then you are morally responsible for protecting them.

Whatever they do, I doubt they'd advertise it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, and the Ivan doesn't seem to be heading toward Guantanamo.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news Dag.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Thanks Dag.

Not only does that answer my first question, but it likely answers my last as well.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Point of order: Does the word "Gulag" invoke Godwin's Law?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Pooka, no. Godwins law would be invoked only if I were to be as tasteless as to call the Guantanamo detention center "Auschwitz Isle" Since we are not exterminating any of the detainees, I would not do that.

Nor would I compare Rumsfeld to Goering or Bush with Hitler. Anyone who does so not only insults these people, but they belittle those who stood against the Nazi Regime.

pooka
Member # 5003

So why "gulag"? It is the German word for a detention camp, is it not?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
RRRussian.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It's Russian, I believe (German was "Stalag", wasn't it?)

And basically, the Gulags were places where people the state didn't want to have to deal with were put in holding.

Dagonee

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulag
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

How embarassing. I'll edit my snarky thread accordingly. [Blushing]
Token Ethnic Pirate #6
Member # 6838

- posted      Profile for Token Ethnic Pirate #6           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/

Arrizzle

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Gulag's were Russian internment camps where anyone who disagreed with the government were sent. While it is an exageration to call our detainee camp in Guantanamo a Gulag (there is no forced labor or Siberean winters to survive) there are some simularities.

1) Detention Camps that were neither for crimminals nor prisoners of war.

2) Sentences were at the whim of the government.

3) There were not trials to get in and no appeals to attempt to get out.

4) Besides the barbed wire and men with guns, there were great natural barriers between the detainees and the outside world. This kept the prisoners in, and the press out.

5) Those detained were considered a threat to the state.

6) Those detained were kept from communicating with their families, lawyers, or associates outside the camp, and very limited in what they could do inside the camp.

7) A heavy emphasis is placed on "Breaking" the detainees.

pooka
Member # 5003

Yes, but a Gulag would tend to be for oppressed citizens of one's own country. My understanding is that most of the men in Guantanamo are from Afghanistan, where we are still fighting. Hence my stronger association with Hogan's Heroes.

I don't disagree that our treatment of these detainees has been un-American. At least the American I learned about in school :cue violin music: I'm poking fun at myself only. Guantanamo is something to be ashamed of, but it is not Stalinistic.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, basically, no one ever reads links. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

From your link:
quote:
The Gulag boomed during Joseph Stalin's regime.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

It looks like Guantanomo is going to catch the fringes - shouldn't be a problem unless the storm does something very strange and veers West-Northwest.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W%2BGIF/

Dagonee

[ September 10, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.