FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CBS uncovers evidence that JESUS was supposed to be set free! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: CBS uncovers evidence that JESUS was supposed to be set free!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://mash.best.vwh.net/cbsjesusfree.jpg

This was found in a 2000 year old clay pot in Jerusalem and reported by CBS.

It's somewhat difficult to read do to its extreme age.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
CBS got caught promoting obviously faked documents about Bush's national guard service. The forger obviously forgot that word processors hadn't been invented in 1972 and thus they wouldn't have the particular font, the type of spacing used or the superscripted "th" in 11th.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Very funny!
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I shoulda waited. This one is better.

http://mash.best.vwh.net/cbspaperclip.jpg

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just sad that a major network would do such a thing. People trust what they hear from the news little enough as it is.

I just envision a time when no news will sway anybody from their position because it's too easy to assume that any news that doesn't fit their worldview is just falsified anyway.

[Wall Bash] [Monkeys] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

There are some people that will never be that smart on their own. Unlike you and me, many people would rather just have someone tell them what to think.
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In all fairness, CBS hasn't been "caught" yet, although the typographical evidence is pretty damning. If it turns out that the memos were forgeries, heads will roll -- and should.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Unlike you and me, many people would rather just have someone tell them what to think.
[Roll Eyes]

Unless you are Porter's life coach. If you are someone who is actually responsible for how he thinks, I take it back.

[ September 10, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

I try to be responsible for what I think. I thought that was the first rule in thinking for yourself.
pooka
Member # 5003

Oh, man. That comes very close to swinging my vote for congress. (response to Tom)

Welcome to Hatrack, Jess. We are not an intellectual elite. You came across as effusive there.

[ September 10, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Jess N
Member # 6744

Sorry--didn't mean to sound like that. I just think that many people (not all and certainly not you) have gotten, not stupid, but intellectually lazy. Sometimes, I watch other folk and realize that they don't think some important things through very well and take a lot of things they hear on the news at face value. That doesn't mean I think I'm better, but I do worry that people don't feel they need to think. I hope that doesn't make me sound snotty, it's just a humble (albeit opinionated) thought.

Oh, and thanks, Pooka. You seem like a real friendly type. [Smile] I really like the people here because they allow me to state my opinion without hurting me too badly! [ROFL]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes Jess in the eye*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A poke in the eye ain't gonna do much: the poor dude's head is already rollin' around on the floor.

"...typographical evidence is pretty damning..."

Only if one automaticly accepts "Man never landed on the Moon" type evidence as true.
Other records on the topic released by the WhiteHouse contain the same type of "error"s.

And speaking of Jesus, have ya seen the latest Bush ad?

[ September 10, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
We need Frank Navasky on this case.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Monk could handle it, too.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
People that believe we didn't actually land on the moon annoy me greatly. I volunteered at an aviation musuem near my home, and talked about the Lunar Module we had on display (it is one of three in the world). I hated it when people questioned me about its authenticity. Those were the most ignorant people I have ever met, and who ever imagined the theory should be locked in a LEM for a week [Wink] .

sorry, just had to get that off my back, even though this post isn't really about this topic. [Razz]

-liz

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, awesome link.

Through, careful, documented: this is damning to the claim that these documents must be forged.

Wow. Rarely do you see something so well refuted. Thanks for the link.

[ September 10, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

My favorite part from the link:

quote:
Now, would the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron have extravagantly purchased typewriters that contained the th superscript key? Would the military want or require typewriters with the 'th', 'nd', and 'rd' characters? Hmm. Ponder, Ponder. What would the 111th need with a th character... I'll leave that to the enterprising among you to deduce.
Regardless of how this turned out, this would make a great sequel to The Insider.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need Frank Navasky on this case.
[ROFL]

You get 20 Annie Chick Flickity points

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, recall that it's not know that those in charge of the CBS show knowingly used forgeries. That's probably why they're having an internal investigation.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
At least that's the official party line.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Chick Flickity points... redeemable at Kleenex stores everywhere. [Wink]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It should be noted that it's one thing to refute a partisan blog with no expertise in document forgery.

I'm waiting for the Wash. Post or another daily to finish their investigations. Nobody's as dilligent about tracking down journalistic breaches as competitors.

I'd be surprised if they are forgeries, but I'm not going to form an opinion based on competing blogs.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

From the ABC News story: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Politics/Vote2004/bush_documents_040909-1.html
quote:

Among the points Flynn and other experts noted:

The memos were written using a proportional typeface, where letters take up variable space according to their size, rather than fixed-pitch typeface used on typewriters, where each letter is allotted the same space. Proportional typefaces are available only on computers or on very high-end typewriters that were unlikely to be used by the National Guard.
The memos include superscript, i.e., the "th" in "187th" appears above the line in a smaller font. Superscript was not available on typewriters.
The memos included "curly" apostrophes rather than straight apostrophes found on typewriters.
The font used in the memos is Times Roman, which was in use for printing but not in typewriters. The Haas Atlas — the bible of fonts — does not list Times Roman as an available font for typewriters.
The vertical spacing used in the memos, measured at 13 points, was not available in typewriters, and only became possible with the advent of computers.

I don't particularly trust the previously presented evidence from a left wing blog. I don't really trust ABC News either but they have more credibility than a partisan web site. Especially when they only addressed the points they thought they could disprove, rather than all the points such as the 'curly' apostrophes.

Here's a hoot where DNC Chair Terry MacAuliff blames the documents on Karl Rove. Obviously Terry thinks they're fake.
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040910-011417-2610r.htm
quote:

Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe today said neither his organization nor John Kerry´s campaign leaked to CBS documents questioning President Bush´s service record, which may have been forged.
He suggested White House adviser Karl Rove could be behind the documents.

quote:

He did not explain how the White House would benefit by providing forged documents trying to undermine Mr. Bush´s service record...

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty somple....convert them to a font not used then, and leak them....then sit back and claim plasuible denial.

Not that I think that happened... [Big Grin] ...but it is possible.

Wait and see, that is my motto for now....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wise motto in general, but especially in this campaign.

Dagonee

TMedina
Member # 6649

You can ascribe veiled, conspiratorial motivations to both sides - conspiracy theorists do it all the time.

The only question becomes, will we ever really have a conclusive answer that will satisfy everyone?

Probably not.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Nope, probably not. But a newspaper trying to show up a television news show has both the motive to keep digging and the incentive to be extra careful about authenticity.

Dagonee

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot more than just the superscript to indicate this was a forgery.

quote:
The network's statement said typewriters were available in the early 1970s which were capable of printing superscripts. CBS pointed to other Texas Air National Guard documents released by the White House that include an example of a "th" superscript.

But one of Killian's fellow officers, an independent document examiner and Killian's own son doubted the veracity of the memos.

The personnel chief who served at the same time doubts the records are true. With all the talks on the memos about transfers and such - don't you think the personnel chief would have been informed as to what was going on?

quote:
In an interview with FOX News, Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father and retired as a captain in 1991, said he is "very dubious" about the genuineness of the documents.

[Click here for more on the interview.]

He said his father was "not in the habit of keeping secret files," didn't have a home office, didn't work after leaving his office and didn't have available to him at work the kind of typewriter that was apparently used to compose the documents.

Gary Killian said the sentiments in the documents didn't reflect his father's "true feelings" about Bush, and that if his father had actually written the papers, he would have signed them using his full name, not just "CYA," which is on the documents.

He also said his father would have typed such a document himself, "hated" typing and was a "very poor" typist. "He did not type memos to himself," Gary Killian added, saying it was "too much effort" and "very dangerous … not a good practice."

The personnel chief in Killian's unit at the time also said he believes the documents are fake.

"They looked to me like forgeries," said Rufus Martin. "I don't think Killian would do that, and I knew him for 17 years."

Killian's widow, Marjorie Connell, described the records to The Washington Post as "a farce," saying she was with her husband until the day he died in 1984 and that he did not "keep files." She said her husband considered Bush "an excellent pilot."

"I don't think there were any documents. He was not a paper person," she said, adding that she was "livid" at CBS journalists who did not, she said, ask her to authenticate the records.

CBS supposedly obtains files that were kept in this man's private home and doesn't even ask his family to verify it?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I clicked on aspectre's link out of morbid curiosity. To quote the link, "Um, OK then."

[ September 11, 2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't think do...not after reading a bit more about it.

First the Bush people say "The th is a dead giveaway...typewriters can't do that."...and when it is pointed out that half their doc's that they released have the superscripted th on them...and that a ton of different types of typewriters could and did have the ability to do this, and all 3 types WERE in use at the time...

They say ......"New Times Roman wasn't in use at the time....which isn't true, not that it matters. The font isn't New Times Roman, it only looks like it if you reduce the size to a very small size:
quote:

Glyphs in fonts are defined by tiny, minute details. There are sometimes big and obvious differences, but you of COURSE have to examine the originals in high resolution to tell definitively if they are the same.
Shrinking a font down to 10 or 12 pixels high is an absolutely foolish way to compare two typefaces. Hell, if you shrink it down to NINE pixels you can make ANY two serif fonts look the same! Observe:

(In here at the link is a GREAT example that won't print here...)

And in the limit, if you shrink to ONE pixel high, ALL fonts look identical! Why, if I were stupid I'd think it was like magic!

These are obviously two very different typefaces. Superimposed on each other at extremely low resolution, however, they look identical.

In other words, the LittleGreenFootball crowd has successfully demonstrated that two typefaces designed to look similar do indeed look similar, at small type sizes, if you don't look very hard. The fact that this "discovery" has now been trumpeted across the continent by everyone from Rush Limbaugh to the major news networks should make mainstream media sources very, very embarrassed. (It is constitutionally impossible, however, to make LGF contributors embarrassed. They named their site after nose-picking, what else exactly do you need to know?)

Another definitive indication the letter was typewritten, or at least that it was a more clever forgery than a five-minute Word job, can be seen when examining the letter closely, as opposed to the birds-eye view that the right-wing claims rely on.

(The CYA document).

Look particularly at the word "interference", at the beginning of the second line. It contains four 'e's. Two are at the baseline; two are raised slightly above the baseline. It is inconsistent, even on the same line, within the same word.

This isn't an artifact of a fax, or a copy distortion; if that were true, all 'e' elements would be equally misplaced. These character drifts must necessarily exist in the original document. Similar drifts exist throughout, and for other letters.

If you were comparing this document with a Microsoft Word document at a small type size, you wouldn't even notice the differences. But as we have previously demonstrated, if you are comparing those two documents at a small type size, you are a moron.

They only look similar, even at that size, not exactally alike.

So the Bush people say "Well, there is no typewriter that can do ALL that, not back then."; not true again.
at leat 3 types could do all that and more. And the Guard had all 3 in offices at the time.

lol

This is pathetic. Not just the allegations, but the fact that the mainstream media is so damn gullible.....Here is another good link... all of this makes a bit of sense, don't you think?

Pathetic.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
In the NYTimes, CBS stands by their statements that these documents are untouched copies of originals. I would not be so quick to jump to the conclusion that these documents must be false. Testimony from his son that this does not "sound" like Killian in no way proves that the documents are false, but merely that his son does not want to believe the documents are true.

I dislike:
quote:
CBS got caught promoting obviously faked documents about Bush's national guard service.
It is not obvious at all if the documents were faked if experts are disagreeing as to whether these documents are faked or not. Saying these documents are "obviously faked" is only displaying partisanship, not respect for the facts.

[ September 11, 2004, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Kwea, first of all, it's not the "Bush people" saying anything. Second, there are several news organizations hiring experts to examine the documents. I'll take their word for it over eithe blog any day.

Dagonee

TMedina
Member # 6649

His widow, his son and his former crew chief all disagree.

And while that is hardly conclusive evidence, it does cast the shadow of doubt on whether or not he wrote the afore-mentioned memos.

It's possible he told someone to write them for him since he wasn't much of a note taker or writer by all accounts, but as Dag mentioned, several experts have been hired to review the documents.

It's possible to dig up a typewriter from the appropriate era if someone wanted to make a seriously believeable forgery, but analyzing the paper itself should provide a more plausible dating reference - not that I claim to be an expert in paper.

-Trevor

pooka
Member # 5003

I worked at McGraw-Hill at their California Test Bureau's Strategic Products Division. It was 1991, just as laser printers were coming into widespread use. The excitement in the advancements of the publishing field at that time cannot be appreciated by anyone under the age of 25, and apparently not by anyone who was outside the field.

The idea that these documents came from a commonly available typewriter is incredibly naive. Linotype machines did exists, but they cost more than a luxury automobile.

We can argue whether the signatures were forgeries until we are blue in the face.

What really disturbs me is that these documents undermine the integrity of a dead man. Are the democrats going to distance themselves from this debacle as they should, or cling to it like the holy grail?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Read the links, and then go to GE's webstie...I did.

Linotype machines aren't the only types that could produce this.....and the "font" as reported, isn't really NTR.

I am still willing to hear what is said, but what disgusts me about this is that the mainstream media swallowed this whole without waiting for confirmation.

I just used that link to prove that anyone who said it was "impossible" for these to be era copies based on faulty information is not worth listening to.

I also have a friend that works in a forensic lab, and when I showed him both sites he was amazed at the lack of research by the accusers.

He really though the critism of the "font" was funny....as fonts were created to mimic typesetting styles in the first place!

And he said that is you want to compare typesetting (or fonts) the last thing you should do is shrink them.....in fact he said that they magnify them many times over when comparing font, typesetting, or handwriting.

Guess which blog he thought was correct?

BTW, I never said the Bush Admin, I said Bush people, so I should have been more clear. Then again, did you check out their web site? I don't thing they are Kerry supporters....

Oh, BTW....he plans on voting Bush....lol...

And I still let him in my house... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ September 11, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Linotype machines aren't the only types that could produce this.....and the "font" as reported, isn't really NTR.
This is my (albeit limited) understanding as well. Why, exactly, "must" these be from a linotype machine? (I thought the reasons why not were adequately addressed in aspetre's first link.)

quote:
What really disturbs me is that these documents undermine the integrity of a dead man. Are the democrats going to distance themselves from this debacle as they should, or cling to it like the holy grail?
pooka, the documents are also in reference to prevent the impugning of the integrity of a live man.

Like a Speaking, I think addressing the truth of the matter (whatever it may be) is the most repectful to all involved. To hide the documents' content -- if accurate - would be tantamount to saying that this man would prefer to maintain a lie after his death. That's insulting to his integrity, too.

It's also possible to hold the documents as accurate without addressing them with the religious love and emotional investment appropriate to a "holy grail." Perhaps they are just another piece of information in the whole story.

I don't think it's obvious that the documents are not forged (certainly, they could have been, and as was mentioned above, someone could have used an old typewriter and old paper to create them). But I don't think it is at all "obvious" that they were forged, and there is enough evidence laying around on the metaphorical ground to show that at a most cursory glance.

What is "obvious," to me, is that at this time people seem to be willing to swallow unnexamined claims fairly blindly, regardless of party affiliation. That polarization gives me cause to worry about what will happen after the November election, regardless of who wins. [Frown]

[ September 11, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Exactally...I don't know if they are fakes or not.

All I know is that every claim made stating that they MUST be fakes (and therefore are a smear towards the Dems who "produced" them) has been refuted.

This isn't the docs, you see. It's about how quickly they demanded an apoligy for something that has no proof....yet.

If the Democrats did anything near this bad then the Republicans would use it as an example of how they filp-flop, and don't do their reasearch.

There are plenty of other documents in Bush's file that are damming enough.

Unless they are obviously fakes like this one. [Roll Eyes]

Kwea

Belle
Member # 2314

Actually, I kind of credit the testimony of the wife and son.

Would I know if a document had been typed or written by my husband? Most certainly.

His son didn't just live with him - he SERVED in the guard with him. He would know his father's habits, how his father did things.

His wife would know whether or not he kept files at home. His wife would know whether or not he had a typewriter machine at home.

The personnel chief says he doesn't belive they are genuine. He served at the same time. Bush was asking for transfers (according to the documents) - the personnel chief would be involved in a transfer request. The personnel chief knew both of them - the dead officer and Bush. He served with and knew the officer for 17 years - he must have read hundreds of memos and letters from the guy and says this doesn't sound like him.

I don't like the assumption that people's testimony should immediately be dismissed and not credited.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Would you be arguing that the testimony of close persons should be credited (to some good extent), or would you argue that such testimony means that the documents were "obviously" forged, or would you argue that regardless of whether they were forged, the matter should be settled at that point, Belle?

That is, if the family and friends were to come out against the documents' veracity based on memory and personal knowledge of the loved one, should there still be abeyance of judgment until further investigation -- or should there then necessarily be no further investigation?

(I'm not pulling partisan sides here, just curious as to what you are trying to say. I found myself able to interpret it in all sorts of ways, which likely reflects my own lack of interpretive abilities. [Smile] )

[ September 11, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wait and see, that is my motto for now...."

Yeah, sign me up for that wait-and-see camp. Either way, some journalists are going to get burned. For some reason, that fills me with glee. [Big Grin]

-Beren [Wave]

[ September 11, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

My tick was with the claim that these documents "must" ("obviously") be forged.

I'm willing to be persuaded either way as further analysis is done, and I agree with Belle that some weight should be given to the testimony of friends and loved ones, although I'd also add that such a source would not be entirely unbiased (which doesn't mean that they are not at all credible, just a reminder to take testimony in context).

I'm still nervous about what will happen to such heightened and polarized feelings after the election.

vwiggin
Member # 926

Check out the google ads below:

"Evidence Eliminator - New"
Maximum discouint - completely remove unwanted pics & files.

What a country we live in. [Smile]

-Beren [Wave]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I see two camps on this, when reading the various sources.

One camp says "These look like forgeries, and this is why." (And this view I'm basing on reading statements, not from the RNC, but from people like the document examiner from the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, whose opinion I do give weight to.)

One camp says "But they might NOT be forgeries, because it was actually possible that such a thing might have been done."

Now the family and co-workers come out and say "but we know the man who was supposed to have written this, and we don't think he did." Then the wife says "They didn't even ask me - and I'm angry, if they'd asked I would have told them my husband didn't even keep such files at home."

I'm leaning for camp one. CBS obviously didn't investigate the authenticity very well. Again, if it were business files then I can see asking the wife as not really necessary, but these were supposedly personal files kept at home.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

quote:
I see two camps on this, when reading the various sources.
I'm leaning for camp one.

So -- just for clarity's sake, not to be challenging you -- you reject "Camp Two." That is, you reject the notion that "they might NOT be forgeries, because it was actually possible that such a thing might have been done."

Or, to put it another way, they must be forgeries. Yes?

(just checking, I promise not to be setting you up for some criticism, here or down the road [Smile] )

[ September 11, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

vwiggin
Member # 926

Marcel Matley, the expert CBS relies on, isn't he the same guy that examined the Vince Foster suicide note?

-Beren

[ September 11, 2004, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Belle
Member # 2314

Sara, I said I was leaning toward camp one. That's a long way from "Camp two is obviously wrong."

To me, the weight has to be on the camp trying to prove it genuine. Forgeries are so easy to do, of written documents, without an original signature. Lines, the forensic sciences examiner, (and what a cool last name for that profession!) produced a virtually identical copy of one of the memos on Microsoft Word to show how easy it was.

So....Occam's Razor favors the forgery theory. It is easy to do, and no one personally involved has come forward to say "Hey, this is true, I was there and I know." Instead, the people close to it have come forward and said the opposite. Unless some evidence comes to light to completely discredit the testimony of these people (it would help if someone could produce a bunch of personal memos written by this man, to show it was indeed a pattern, despite the family's insistence that he didn't keep files or write personal memos) I'm having a hard time accepting it as genuine.

vwiggin
Member # 926

Can the White House maintain their position that they do not know if the documents were fabricated?

If the new documents contradict Bush's assertion that he received no special treatment, wouldn't the Bush camp HAVE to argue that the documents were forged. I guess you could also attack Killian's credibility, but that might not be well-received.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Belle, I worked in a personell office at USAMRIID, and it is amazing the amount of paperwork that goes through those offices.

His wife wouldn't be allowed to see those papers...they are classified...not top secret, but restricted due to privacy concerns, and as a general pratice.

There is no possible way they could have remembered every single request or form that every soldier put in.

And his son served wuth his father, but would not have had access to those records either, unless he took over his fathres job (or another in the same office)....and he couldn't remember every little thing either.

I am NOT saying they are forgeries...I am saying that people don't have the right to assume guilt without looking at all the evidence....which isn't what they did here. They screamed foul claiming that it HAD to be a forgery...and then every bit of "proof" they had was proven to be incorrect.

Even if these allegatons are proven false, try and tell me that it won't adversly affect the Kerry campaign this close to the election.

Something smells about this whole thing.....

Kwea

[ September 11, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.