FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And it's not even close to Christmas.

Author Topic: And it's not even close to Christmas.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize I may be getting ahead of myself on this. It's like Christmas carols. They start so early in the year that you wish they would go away by the time Christmas comes.

But the thing is, we start our Christmas festivities early in our family. And part of my tradition is to make a different holiday-type food every weekend for several weeks leading up to Christmas. The purpose is to really smell up my house and make it feel Christmas-y. In the past, some of the favorites have been pumpkin bars, apple cider, apple pie, gingerbread, and things like that.

But I want to try some new stuff. Does anyone have any recipes that make good holiday food, that are known for smelling things up?

Foods you have burnt need not apply.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make a great peanut brittle in the microwave. Add peanuts and corn syrup to a bowl and microwave about five minutes, or until the syrup is a light brown. Pour on top of a greased cookie sheet, let cool and the fun part is cracking it.

Disclaimer -- I have burnt this, but it was still good.

Fudge! Use the recipe on back of the marshmallow fluff.

Chocolate dipped pretzels -- melting chocolate and pretzel sticks. Sprinkles are fun, too.

Applesauce is fun to make, too.

Hm...I'll have to go to my recipes for the more aromatic ones. I tend to make a lot with apples and pumpkin this time of year.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't have a microwave. Guess I should have mentioned that. [Frown]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wassail really smells up the house but I find it revolting to drink.

It is cider with an orange peel in it and some whole cloves and cinnamon stick. You heat it gently.

Last year I made a hat out of gingerbread polygons- pentagons and hexagons in a soccerball type hemisphere. The shapes had candy windows. For the family wacky hat contest, I actually put some Christmas lights on the inside. I amaze myself.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, wassail is pretty nasty.

Oh, do you make your own gingerbread? I'm constantly looking for a really good gingerbread recipes with just a little stiffness.

[ September 11, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't NEED a microwave for any of these things. You just need more time. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, let me say it this way:

I am not a natural cook. I can barely create edible things when I have an exact recipe. So if it's a recipe for a microwave, I need to have some modified instructions for stove-top. I'm not kidding, I really have no intuition with cooking.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all have the wrong waissal recipe.

1 quart apple juice
2 cups orange juice
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup lemon juice
1 Tb sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
small handful of cloves

Boil, then turn down to low and serve all day.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I thought Wassail pretty much had to have sherry and ale.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Peanut Brittle

Chocolate covered pretzels -- fun to dip in sprinkles or peanuts etc.

Applesauce -- chop up 6 Gala apples (or your variety of choice) add 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon (or I like to use apple pie spice, which includes nutmeg and ginger). Simmer in a saucepot on medium heat for an hour. I like to run half my mix through the food processor, then, but this isn't necessary.

Baked apples -- we also slice and peel the apples or add a few pecans and cranberries to the halved apples.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

PSI - maybe this is Mormon wassail. [Razz]

*considers* I don't think so, though - it comes from the non-Mormon and culinarily-gifted half of the family.

It really is yummy. It's especially good if you have half left over and then put it in the refrigerator and heat it up as you want it. For some reason, it's even better that way - the juices blend together more and it's richer without being disgustingly sweet.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's good. Does it smell up the kitchen? it probably does. I'm all about non-alcoholic stuff, anyway.
katharina
Member # 827

yes, it makes the kitchen smell citrussy and cinammony.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, cinammony...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother makes three things around Christmas that if they're not made, I'm heartbroken:

Peanut Butter Fudge
No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Pumpkin Bread

I'll ask her for the recipies.

::now hungry::

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bake Cookies! That always gets me thinking of Christmas. Santa really enjoys those cookies too!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.