FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Screen name pronunciations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Screen name pronunciations
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about names of peeps... but for me I always read Hatrack as "Hat Track" in my head for some reason. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, same here! No matter how hard I try to say "Hat rack" or think it, I always think and hear "track".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Almost make me wish for an obscure, hard-to-pronounce name..."

Sarcasticmuppet,
You could be SarcasTEEKmooPAY(French pronunciation)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus pronounced Raia's name the same as I do =)

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[what used to be the evolution of my name is now an homage to the BoDeans]

quote:
I like the way you dance
I like the way you paint your lips
And if I had the chance to be wth you I wouldn't slip
So when the night set in
Ae'll close the curtains way up tight
And then we'll just pretend that it isn't day but still the night

[The Wave] [ROFL] [The Wave] [ROFL] [The Wave]

[ September 12, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce sndrake close to "soundrake". It's just soooo much easier ! [Dont Know]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Little_Doctor

the end

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Little underscore Doctor

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
It actually signifies the void and nothingness that is my life.

[ September 11, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghost of xnera
Member # 3920

- posted      Profile for ghost of xnera   Email ghost of xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, pronounce Hatrack as "Hat-track". Unless I am around other jatraqueros, in which case I tend to conciously say "Hat-rack", since so many folks seem to pronounce it that way.

As for my screenname... well, I am not picky on how it is pronounced, since it's a made-up name and all. I personally say it "ex-near-ah", with a slight emphasis on the middle syllably. But I've heard "zsa-near-ah" and "zen-er-ah", and none of them have grated on me, so pretty much any way you want to pronounce it is fine by me. [Smile]

I call myself "x" for short a lot, so feel free to do the same if you like. I do prefer lowercase x's when they are used in my screenname, but I won't go off on you if you use the upper.

Never, under any circumstance, call me "seX". [Mad] *bites head off acquaintance who persists in doing so*

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea I end up pronouncing really weird. Kawaya, or something. If i don't call him kiwi with out thinking aobut it.

I know everyone Pronounces Kwsni like Quizni. But I spell it out.

And I call it hat track even with other hatrackers around.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Exnera

Koosni

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
LOO-do-stee

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No-EE-mon

Kwee-yuh

Ih-KUH-rus

ess'n'drake

dah-GUH-nee (or Dags for short -- Dag is Da_Goat)

I say EL's name the same way as PSI does

Raia, your name isn't like the Hebrew word for "friend"? [Eek!] *illusion shattered*

I say Eruve Nandiriel's name ay-ROOV nan-dih-ree-EL (but mostly just ay-ROOV)

ex-NEH-ra

QUEEZ-nee (or just nee)

And I am rif-KAH, but as long as I can figure out that you mean me, I will generally respond. Assuming you don't use one of the Nicknames That Don't Mean ME!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(I love how Moose posts essentially the same joke as me, but he gets the laughs. My Funny must truly be off . . . )
I'm sorry, I didn't read all the posts thoroughly enough and missed yours. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, the Hebrew word for "friend" is "Chavera," not "Raia." [Wink]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how 'Hat Track' makes any sense or would appeal more to anyone.. 'Hat Rack' is actually an object and symbolizes something. Plus it doesn't have the burden of an extra 't'..
I'vev never thought of it as Hat Track.. *shrugs*

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*confused* Isn't raiah a synonym? Is it biblical Hebrew?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

It might be biblical, that I don't know as well... but it wasn't intended that way, since blacwolve (who doesn't speak Hebrew) made up the screen name. [Wink]

But yeah, I pronounce it "RAH-yah" too, for whoever said that... and Ic and Goody, that's an interesting way... I've never thought of that one before!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a kingdom called "Hatrack" in the Worthing Saga? I think that's the reason why I also think of it as "Hat Track" instead of "Hat Rack."

Who in their right mind would name their kingdom "Hat Rack" kingdom? That's just begging to be invaded, like Doorstop or Iraq.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin (Seventh Son series) was born near the settlement of Hatrack, where Peggy (the "torch") lived.

[ September 12, 2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I actually know how to pronounce Saudade, and it took me a while. But she's got on her cell phone a message saying "You have reached Saudade's cell phone" so I listened to it again and again and got it as close as I could.

It's not a Spanish name, it's a Portuguese word. Eduardo Sauron will know how to pronounce it best, probably. But Saudade herself says something like sow-DAH-jee (with a soft j sound like the "su" in pleasure). Those who know her on AIM will recognize that her aimname is a phonetic spelling of how you pronounce her real name.

Mine is spelled out "aye-kay" or "aye-kay-aye", not "ack" or "acka". [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Aye-Kay: Really?! *stops saying "aka"*
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, contrary to some folks' misperception, Shan is NOT said like "Shawn", it is short for that famous river in Ireland. Just lop off the last half of Shannon. [Wink]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Shan: Your name is one I never have trouble with!

(My real name is Shani [Wink] )

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
NO-eh-mohn
KWIZ-nee
zih-NEHR-ah
ICK-uh-russ
KWEE-uh
ess-en-DRAKE
saw-DAD
DAG-uh-NEE
RAY-uh
CAM-uh

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wih-SKAN-sin
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, my real name is Shane, and my sis is Shannon. Go figure.

Pop, the MW accent on Wisconsin made me choke on the soup I was eating. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. You should know better than to eat/drink while reading Hatrack threads -- especially fluffy ones.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about (and I know I will misspell it)"

Eruve Nandiriel?

Help?

It's supposed to be something like "Eh-Roo-Veh", with the light "eh" sound at the end. But people probably say like "Eh-roove". Oh well.

quote:
Unfortunately, I still think of Bokonon as having 3 short o's.
You mean it's not? [Confused]

I pronounce Raia's as "Ray-uh", like a ray of sunshine. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always read Hatrack as "Hat Track" in my head for some reason.
Yes, I did this but I taught myself to think Hat Rack because I realized that's what it really is.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
<----- It's fee-AS-koh no matter what AJ tells you.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia, I always pronounced Shani Shah-nee; not like the first half of "Shannon"... But you said it's similar to Shan's name? How should Shani be pronounced? [Confused]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sha-nee (short "a" sound)
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pronounced "May-bus". Like on the TV show.

Or sometimes "Mab-us"--but that always gets me thinking about Shakespeare and Mercutio's speech, which is completely inappropriate.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
How odd. I've come up with a very simple system for saying people's names in my head that seems to really work for me.

Noemon = CHICKen-butt
Kwea = chickEN-butt
pooka = chicken-BUTT
CT/SSasse = CHEEKen-butt
Dagonee = chicken-BUTTE
Icarus = BBQ chicken-butt
sndrake = SIR chicken of butt
ludosti = the most high and MIGHTY chicken-butt

and so on. I find this clears up any pronounciation confusion I might have.

---

Oh, and I call Megan = Meegan like she asks, because there's no way I'm messing with that girl.

[ September 13, 2004, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, Kylie, that's right... what Shan said. The closest I can come to writing it is "Shuh-NEE," but I don't know how much sense that makes to you.

(edit: beekuz eye kant spel)

[ September 13, 2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is pronounced "I don't get it."

? [Dont Know]

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Danogee, for no reason whatsoever, reminds me of the mangling that "HN03" went through in the Dragonriders of Pern series - after centuries of not seeing it written properly, it became "ageenothree".

For those that wondered, I have always pronounced mine, "jeenYUS."

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even pronounce my own, never mind other peoples'.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, to be absolutely honest, how I pronounce my own username depends very much on whim at the moment of pronunciation. Originally I conceived of it as being pronounced "No-AY-mon". Often, though, I'll think of it as "NO-uh-mon", and it isn't unusual for me to think of it as "NO-mon". So chances are, regardless of how you pronounce it, you're close enough, and agree with me at least 20% of the time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
No WAY Mon!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I just googled "Noemon", and there's actually a noemon.net, although it doesn't seem to be up at the moment. And it looks like it would all be in Greek if it were up.

There is also something called "NOEMON: An Intelligent Assistant for Classifier Selection" that comes up, and an organization called Noemon ltd, about which I can't figure out very much.

My Hatrack identity comes before that of some Greek guy posting as Noemon on a message board called Therion. Definitely not me. I have to say, I actually find it just a little bit irritating to find someone out there with the same username as I have. Doesn't quite make sense that it should bug me, but it does.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That works too Anne Kate!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
[Eek!]
[ROFL]

Can't believe I haven't checked this thread until now. I guess I am so used to the low level background paraniac certainty that people are talking about me, it didn't bleep on my radar! [Smile]

Gotta process this.

BTW, the clue to pronouncing my screen is that it's spelled just like it sounds. [Taunt]

---Sir Chicken of Butt

[ September 13, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and I call Megan = Meegan like she asks, because there's no way I'm messing with that girl.
Whoa. Am I that scary? [Blushing]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Lime, I had forgotten, but I'm fairly certain I had that reaction originally too! [Big Grin]
Raia
Member # 4700

Noemon, I always think of you as "Noy-mon," but that's probably because I'm Jewish. [Wink]
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is pretty easy and since its my real name, well a shortend version of my real name.

Christopher M. Kidd

I usually answer to just Chris.

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Cool]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Squick, I'm happy to be your cheeky-butt.

Life could be worse. [Wink]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.