FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hug Thread, v. 3.0 (Page 18)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Hug Thread, v. 3.0
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
(((eruve)))

I have an exam in 7 hours and I'm very close to completely freaking out, haha. It's the first exam in my college career that's essay based so it's making me a little tense.

Wow, I feel you on the friend issue. It's hard to find people that you can trust to be that close, but it's not impossible. Spending a lot more time with the people you already know is how you can figure out if they're the share-all-your-thoughts-and-feelings-with person. Usually networking (friends of your friends) is how I've made the most friends after I left home to go to college. It can happen on a random day, too. Also talking to random classmates about what went on in class is helpful. For instance, "Don't you think our professor's a jerk?".. and if they agree, then you've made a new friend! Haha.

Good luck with the meeting more people and on your exams!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
{{Eruve)) And Happy Second Hatrack Anniversary (belated, but sincere).
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Eruve))))))))))
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Eruve)))) I give you a great hug to warm your heart and your soul.

((((Raia)))) A kiss for you because it was a very long time [Kiss]
((((Corwin)))) At the next Friday, my friend !

(((((Hatrack))))) I'm so sorry to cannot go more often i want this last time.

and a special hug for each of you ! i don't forget you !!!

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, thank you dear!! (((((Choobak))))) [Kiss]

(((((Eru))))) Hang in there!!

(((((Others))))) [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Choobak)))))
(((((Raia)))))
(((((BunnV)))))
(((((Rivka)))))
(((((Tante)))))
(((((All of Hatrack)))))

Even though it's been a really long day (Mondays are my worst...classes ALL day) I'm in a really good mood. I found out today that I didn't fail my calculus exam!!! [The Wave] I don't have the official grade yet, but I think I got a D. And my teacher tells me I was actually close to getting a C, too. And that's WAY better than my practice exam was. [Big Grin] I know I can do better though. I think if I really work at it, and can get a B on the next one. [Smile] That's my goal. I know I can do it, but I really have to work at it.

(((((All of Hatrack...again)))))

edited to add: (((((blacwolve))))) thanks for the offer, but you're right....it's kinda hard to do that stuff long distance. I think I fould a few people who can help me one-on-one though.

[ September 25, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

YAY! If you need help . . . ask Icarus. (Actually, for basic calculus, you're probably safe asking me too. I don't start to loathe the stuff until you get to second or third quarter. [Wink] )
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I need a hug now. I just got rejected for the Liberal Arts Student Council, which I was really excited about joining. They had said previously that it was really hard to not get in as long as you went to the interview and weren't completely awful, so I sort of feel like crap since I didn't. Especially since from my point of view it was the best I'd ever done in an interview. On top of that I've had a really crappy night, mostly because I had to go to the interview and it was at a horrible time and forced me to wear high heels which are hard to walk around campus in when it's not storming. And I have a test tomorrow that I'm not ready for at all that's worth a quarter of our grade.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ouch! [Frown] ((((((((((blacwolve))))))))))
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
((((blacwolve)))) Hope you feel better now! Did the test go well? Don't worry, you'll likely find another organization/council to join in the future that'll probably be more fufilling than the one that decided not let you join.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

((((((((blacwolve)))))))) Good luck for the next. I'm sure you will discover another way to pursue your life road.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Tawa))))) I'm sorry, I thought I had posted a hug for you here. [Frown] I guess I only posted on your LJ. They don't know what they're missing.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Kara))))))

Man that really sucks. They must have over exaggerated how easy it was to get in... [Frown]

(((((Kara))))))

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some hugs sent to some friends of mine. One just lost her sister and the other a cousin, who had twoo young children. Well, not so much hugs, as they'll never see this thread, but just some prayers sent their way.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Frown] That's terrible. I'm thinking of them.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Raia)))
(((Joldo's friends)))
(((Choobak)))
(((Blacwolve)))
(((rivka)))
(((Eruve)))
(((Corwin)))
I'll repost what I posted in my LJ.

quote:
Right now I'm very angry and sad.
One month ago two friends of mine told me they were getting married. I had no idea they were in love, I was really happy for them. I blocked my week-end (it was my birthday, but I really cared for them), began to prepare them a surprise, told everyone I know about it because that made me so happy...
And the girl called me tonight to tell me it was a joke.
They had prepared this story to see if I would "walk in". She told me they had a good laugh when they saw it was the case. And didn't apologize.
I was so unprepared to hear that on phone that I said nearly nothing.
But I wrote them that letter.

I didn't want to play the moral on phone, so I didn't say anything. But I think this story deserves an explanation.
When I found the announce of your wedding in my mailbox, back from Australia, I thought, for one second, that it was a joke. Then I thought you would never do that to me, so I rejoiced for you. Sincerely. And even more when I had you on phone, G (this is the girl), because you sounded so happy it made me happy for you.
So I blocked my week-end (it was my birthday...), I began to prepare a surprise for your wedding party, to wonder what I could find as a wedding present. I talked about you two to a lot of people, because it heated my heart to know you were both happy. I even talked about it to F (this is a friend of mine who lost her father), because she was really down and I thought it would make her feel better. By the way, it was the case. F is that way.
I'm sure you're already thinking it's all my fault, I'm too naïve, I shouldn't have believed you... From my point of view, the only mistake I made is to trust two people who didn't deserve it. I won't do it twice.

Comments? I meant to explain how I felt without sounding too angry, do you think it sounds that way?

I take hugs too... *sigh*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Anna))))) That's really cruel. [Frown] I can't understand why someone would think that was funny. Your letter sounds very level-headed and thought out. Go ahead and send it, so they understand. As you may remember from my LJ, I went through something similar... though on a very different note... a few weeks ago. So I can completely relate. *hugs again*
Anna
Member # 2582

Oh, yes, I do remember that... And it was far worse.
(((Shani)))

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be upset, though. This isn't any better. (((((Anna))))) again.
rivka
Member # 4859

You are a very good friend, Anna. And they don't deserve to have you as a friend. (((((Anna)))))
Anna
Member # 2582

Thank you, ricka.
(((rivka)))
(((Raia)))
The girl told me that they had this idea from a TV show where a girl is asked to make everyone around her believe that she's going to marry some guy, and if everyone trusts her and she's going at the altar and everything they give her a lot of money. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I guess the TV cameras don't stay too long after she tolds everyone she lied them for money... If one of my sisters did something like that I wouldn't want to hear about her for a loooooong time.

Choobak
Member # 7083

(((((Anna))))) I remember your happyness when you writed here their mariage. People sometime didn't notice the consequences of a joke. And such a joke is not funny.

A big hug for you for my return to hatracks since the Europcon.

((((Rivka))))
((((Shani)))) How are you, my dear ?

Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Choobak))))) I'm doing fine. [Smile] Thank you! I was just thinking of you the other day... you need to come back and post more, your absence has been greatly missed!
rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, Choobak. [Smile] *hug*

Anna, that is exactly the sort of TV show that I hate! Part of why I watch so much less TV than I used to is the increase in the number of "reality shows" like that. Not that such shows are very "real" -- as you said, they don't look at the real-life consequences afterwards.

I think it was a despicable thing to do on TV or off. [Razz] (((((Anna))))) Ask your "friend" if she knows the story of the little boy who cried wolf.

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Joldo)))

I found it.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

It's back!

(((kojabu)))

Now we must act to keep it alive.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hehe, it's been around for a while! (((((Joldo)))))
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Raia)))

How's the anklet doing?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

(((Raia)))
(((kojabu)))

At last my faith in humanity is revived.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi y'all. So I'm back from my latest self-imposed vacation. (Yeah, yeah, I know. "You left?" "Who are you again?" [Razz] ) I have made a new resolution to play nice.

No matter how asinine the other kids are.

We'll see how I do. It may not look like it, but I actually have refrained from posting a couple of times because I had nothing nice to say. If I make a conscious effort, I find I can come up with a classy way to answer a provocation, but I don't always make that effort. Posts by people like CT put me to absolute shame.

I'm also making a resolution not to feed trolls. That has always been a big problem of mine. The problem is that I like people to *know* what I'm doing. I want trolls to *know* that they are trolls, and to know that I *know* that they are trolls.

(I think my problem is that I instinctively feel that classless people don't deserve to be treated with class. How can that be right?! They troll all over other people, and don't get flamed out?! Truly, there is no justice. Yeah yeah, I know. They crave attention, and so not giving it to them is more punishment that flaming them. But that theory is so hard for me to put into practice.)

Maybe when I feel like feeding a troll I'll come here and say "Tralalalalalala! Look at me! Not feeding the troll!!!!!! Tralalalalalala!" [Big Grin]

Anyway, I may not succeed, but I'm going to try harder to be the change I'd like to see.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

It's Icky! Cool!

At least write a catchy jingle about troll-feeding.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

[Wave] I'm glad you're back!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((kojabu))))) Great, thanks! [Smile] And I haven't forgotten your CD...

(((((Ic))))) It's so LOVELY to have you back! [Kiss]

(((((Joldo)))))

(((((blacwolve))))) You're not in town, perchance, are you? Everyone else is...

JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Icarus))) I love your sincerity. That whole notion of 'if I want to make a change in the world, the best thing I can do is change myself.' It's always easy to see a need for someone else to change ... you know, that whole thing with the motes and the beams ... You're cool and I tip my hat to you. [Hat] Welcome back. [Big Grin]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ic, yay for being back. [Smile] Hatrack is better with you here.

I'm with Joldo, we need a not-feeding-the-troll jingle. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. [Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

Did you all see me not feeding the trolls back there?!?! Didja? Huh? Didja?

Of course you didn't. But there you go, see! You didn't see it, so it didn't happen!

-o-

You know, that math post actually took a hell of a long time to put together, what with having to create JPGs of all the charts, and then go back and recreate one. :-\

-o-

(((Joldo)))
(((blacwolve)))
(((Raia)))
(((JemmyGrove)))
(((rivka)))

-o-

The past week+ has been extremely difficult for me. The girls are struggling in school, particularly Banana, and I don't feel that they [EDIT: the school] are being particularly supportive. Perhaps they feel the same way about us. I don't know.

I come home, I deal with dinner, I deal with homework (which typically takes at least an hour and a half), and then I'm too depressed to deal with anything else. I can't get any of my schoolwork done at home because I'm too spiritually drained. I can't clean around the house, so it's turning into a sty. I'm behind on dishes, so I've taken to getting take-out or quick meals instead of cooking real meals. The same pattern I was in a couple of years ago when Mango was having a really bad time.

I am not happy.

All I have energy for once the kids go to bed is forumming and writing. Thank God I've at least been productive in my writing, or I'd feel utterly worthless. If I'm not occupied reading or writing, I find myself tending to be extremely emotional. I feel constantly on the verge of tears.

[ October 23, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

((((Icarus))))
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
(((ketchup queen)))

Good taste in music _and_ food. Your posts make me smile.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ouch, Ic. (((((Ic))))) Hope things look up soon!
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Icky))))) [Frown]
Anna
Member # 2582

(((Icarus)))
(((Kq)))
(((Raia)))
(((rivka)))
(((Eruve)))
(((Choobak)))
(((Corwin)))
(((kojabu)))
(((Everyone who needs a hug)))
I feel extremely tired, but good I guess.

[ October 24, 2005, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug] Hatrack [Group Hug]

The holidays are here so I thought I'd revive this thread. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

(((Choobak)))
(((Corwin)))
(((Raia)))
(((Rivka))))
(((Eruve)))
(((Kojabu)))
(((Anyone I forgot and who wants a hug)))
I need a hug. [Cry]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Anna)))) Anything wrong that you care to share with us?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

(((((Anna))))) [Frown]
Anna
Member # 2582

Sakeriver link to what my problem is.
Choobak
Member # 7083

(((((((Anna)))))))) I send you by this hug a part of my beautiful happiness, my friend !

(((Corwin)))
(((Raia)))
(((Rivka))))
(((Eruve)))
(((Kojabu)))
(((Kama)))
(((Katie and steve)))
(((and all i forget, i'm sorry)))

Icarus
Member # 3162

Oh hey, the hug thread!

(((blacwolve)))
(((rivka)))
(((Raia)))
((((((Anna)))))) [Frown]

School is going wonderfully for the girls. They finally found a way to finagle ESE services for Banana, so we no longer have 2+ hours of homework a night to do. We are being able to spend quality time doing other things now, like say, reading. They are much happier in school, and we are all much happier at home.

(I see some lingering scars from the road we had to travel, though. A lot of times I like to give the girls silly answers when they ask me silly questions. The other day we went to the Magic Kingdom, and Banana asked me if we were going to ride rides, so I told her we were not, we were going to find a table and do homework. She replied, laughingly, "No! I hate homework!" From whence this dislike of schoolwork? :-| )

Work is extremely stressful for me so far this year. I am teaching a section of a course that is new to me called Senior Project. The kids spend all year writing what amounts to a thesis, and they have tons and tons of assignments along the way. I simply cannot keep up with the grading load. In order to stay just a little behind, I have sacrificed all of my other classes. I am constantly stressed by how far behind I am. I hope it will get better in the second semester.

Last night I called in a personal day for today because Jeniwren is in town and a bunch of Hatrackers are going to Islands of Adventure. I haven't been to either Universal Studios park since before we got the girls, and I was looking forward to going. Since I didn't have the stress of work hanging over me, I went out and bought my secret santa/snowflake stuff. When I came home, Cor told me that Mango was now feeling sick to her stomach. So here I am spending the day at home caring for her instead of out having fun. [Frown] *sigh*

Anna
Member # 2582

I'm sorry, Ic. (((Icarus)))
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.