FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alright, here goes nothing.

Author Topic: Alright, here goes nothing.
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's about time I quit making random appearances in threads and make my own to help you lovely people know a bit about me.

I've been a member of Pweb for a little over a year now and while it was hard to get involved there, it feels that much harder to really get involved here. I know a few people here-David:diggingholes, Ali:EaquaeLegit, Jebus, I know of Dave but don't really know him, same with Nathan and Kama- which makes it just that much more difficult...though I'm not quite sure why.

Some basics. My name is Alea, I'm 21 years old and a 4th year student at the university here in Tucson, majoring in Geography and set to graduate with a BA in May. I'm a democrat who's been surrounded by republicans for most of my life, most noticably the year and a half I was involved in Air Force ROTC.

I've never been one who likes drinking or any other substances some people my age enjoy. That could be said to be a result of having an alcoholic father and two alcoholic grandfathers who all made life miserable for their respective wife/wives and a supposed, but we're really not sure, ex-drug addict of an older brother.

I'm of Mexican descent...ask me what I am and I'll likely just say American since I was born in Reno...and I'm usually called a "fake" Mexican because I don't speak spanish.

My family life has mimicked a soap opera, to put it best. My parents are divorced; my dad is currently living with his second wife (also his ex-wife) until his third and current wife can move from their New Mexico apartment to my hometown in AZ. My mom is living in the place I call home with her boyfriend, whom she met online.

My oldest brother is the (ex?)drug-addict; he has 3 daughters with his girlfriend of 8 years.

My second oldest brother has one child and one on the way with his girlfriend of a little over a year. They'll be getting married sometime this year or early next.

I'm the third child, so insert me here. I'm currently involved with someone who I met at Pweb (thank God for Dave) and have yet to meet in person. Most people I know don't think much of that sort of thing so most people I know haven't been told.

Then there's my little brother, who is also here in Tucson attending the university.

Musical tastes...again, of all the people I know, I'm unique in this matter. I love 80s music, R&B and pop but my true musical love is oldies. Marvin Gaye, Beach Boys, Four Tops, Jackson 5, etc.

Books...I'm honestly not an avid reader. But I love the Ender's series beyond all else. And the Harry Potter series. Yes, you can say I'm somewhat childish in that aspect.

Movies...I love comedies, especially Adam Sandler movies but my favorite movies are all series: Star Wars, Back to the Future, Terminator.

TV...I mostly quit watching it but I used to love Wonder Years, Quantum Leap, Sex in the City and Daria.

And I've rambled on for long enough; sorry if that was boring. I didn't mean for it to be so long but I wanted to reveal some things about myself to give you all a clue as to the type of person I am. [Smile]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Uhleeuh! [Smile]

We don't bite . . . much . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to have you here; I hope we can be friends [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...80s -- check; Star Wars, Back to the Future, Terminator -- check; Quantum Leap -- check.

Yep, you're cool. Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to KamaCon and I am still figuring out how to make new friends here. I have a feeling if you keep posting it eventually happens.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SIash the Berzerker
Member # 3897

- posted      Profile for SIash the Berzerker           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful to have you here, Alea. *Scatters welcome flowers through thread*
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Daria is still one of my more favorite animated shows.

Oh, this is Nathan, btw. And if you are familiar with me and Kama, you should be familiar with NorthWest Smith, too. I'll let you figure out who that is here on your own. [Wink]

And since slash is apparently sick, and a few people aren't here to do it:

::burninates and eats::

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Making friends on the forum threads isn't any different than real life, except we don't have any virtual pizza parlors, pubs or similar social functionality.

Although some of the stranger sorts do make a point to get together in a convention-style format, typically to celebrate various Hatrackers. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to you. [Wave]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I offer an official welcome on behalf of the Arizonan Jatraqueros. Another addition is always most welcome to our growing... bunch.

Besides, anyone who likes the Beach Boys is worth having at picnics and the like.

Hopefully you'll be able to come to our next picnic and meet some real-life Hatrackers. We usually don't scare people off (at least not the first time we meet them).

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
majoring in Geography and set to graduate with a BA in May.
Is that a typo? I would expect you to get a BS in Geography, not a BA.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a feeling if you keep posting it eventually happens.
Sounds like you've got this place all figured out! [Smile]

Welcome Uhleeuh! May you post much and be loved much!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear, do you go to U of A? I'm afraid I'll have to hate you forever then.

No, not really! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think he was right - it is a BS in Geography. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. [Smile] I'm feeling much more at ease about posting already.

quote:
Is that a typo? I would expect you to get a BS in Geography, not a BA.
And no, that wasn't a typo. The Geography major here is in fact a BA degree; the partner to it is Regional Development and that is the major that earns a BS. [Dont Know]

quote:
Oh, dear, do you go to U of A? I'm afraid I'll have to hate you forever then.

*eyes suspiciously* Are you one of those rascally Sun Devils? [Razz]

[ September 13, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Uhleeuh ]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil]
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Oh good, I'll have fun with you. I love friendly teasing. With that said...

[Taunt]

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Wave]

Do you enjoy the song Ah! Leah! by Donnie Iris ? [Evil]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Uhleeuh! [Wave] Welcome to Hatrack!

I'm Raia. It's lovely to meet you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Uhleeuh! You sound like someone who will be very much at home here. I look forward to getting to know you better.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm of Mexican descent...ask me what I am and I'll likely just say American since I was born in Reno...and I'm usually called a "fake" Mexican because I don't speak spanish.
Oh, don't feel bad. I know a lot of Mexicans that do speak spanish, but are accused of being 'fake' because they speak english so fluently.

Anyway, yo. As far as I know, I'm the sole Prescottonian Hatrack representative. How's the weather on the un-snobby side of AZ?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get used to the fact that pwebbers call me Kama.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Alea! You sound like one of us, for sure! So glad you decided to let us know you better! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. I'm one of the other AZ jatraqueros that you will hopefully meet at some point in time. [Smile] All of us, that I've met (Derrell, Feyd, PSI, peterh, Shigosei, and slacker - my hubby), aren't scary. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If by chance you are a robot....
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

I just heard "Ah! Leah!" from the link you provided, but it made me giggle...which caused people to give me funny looks, but I'm used to that.

Um, the weather. In one word: hot. I think it made it to triple digits but I know Tucson is cooler than the Phoenix metropolitan area as a general rule.

And would you prefer I call you Falka, Kama? I can if you'd like.

As to the rest of you, again thanks so much for the welcome. I feel loved, even after being eaten by Nathan. [Big Grin]

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Hat]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FalkaCon doesn't sound as fun.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Alea! Hi! Glad you're here now too! This is so cool. [Wave]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh... I want to study the kind of geography that is considered an art!

*off to draw fake maps*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

[Wave]

-o-

quote:
Well, FalkaCon doesn't sound as fun.
Au contraire!

-o-

o_O

Who's got the Slash clone?!

[ September 13, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I guess the answer to that is, who would find it most amusing to have "Slash" sprinkle flowers in a welcoming manner?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya! [Wave]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

Oy. I knew I was forgetting a few people I knew of from Pweb. [Wave] Hi Papa and Ela. And I forgot Brent/Rei...don't know how much he posts, though and I'm not entirely sure that's his username here.

And if you want a face to put to the posts, here's a grainy pic from my webcam. Hope that link works.
Me [Smile]

*goes off in search of more of your stories to keep me from getting much needed sleep* [Razz]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who would find it most amusing to have "Slash" sprinkle flowers in a welcoming manner?
I think it's a tie between, um, everybody.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* Does it help at all if I say it's not me? [Big Grin]
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
And would you prefer I call you Falka, Kama? I can if you'd like.
Nah, Kama's my name. It's just weird pweb people know this, is all [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
On Pweb, it's weird if someone doesn't know someone's real name.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Uhleeuh. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

But only Hatrackers used to call me Kama there.

I think it's because I'm growing to be a celebrity.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I just bumped the AZ get together thread.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's because I'm growing to be a celebrity.
A celebrity? Hmmm.... well, with no less than 62 threads containing your name in their titles on this board... yeah, I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

On pweb. A celebrity on pweb.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*de-lurks to say hi to Alea*

Hi, now I'm glad I read this thread...I'd never have known you were here, maybe now I'll try post a littl more...

*leaves her to put two and two together as to who this is [Razz] *

[Edit to add]

oi...I finally figured out your screen name...now I feel slow...I'll blame it on the lack of sleep...

[ September 15, 2004, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: ReikoDemosthenes ]

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... well Alea.. as you can see, we don't take very kindly to you Third types around here...

So go back to your non-compliant pwebbers!

-Jack Montague

I am soooo joining the IF..

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like the sound of having a 'FalkaCon'.. 'KamaCon' is cool too though.. crud..

FalkaCon... KamaCon... FalkaCon.. KamaCon..

FalkaKamaCon? Looks confusing but it sounds cool..

!

FalKamaCon! Perfect!

Well I'm glad we all agree on this.

Good day.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently attended a convention for people who saw auras and liked to dance to funky music.

It was called "Chakra Con"

Hi, Alea. Good to get to know you.

[ September 15, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: ssywak ]

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome home, bub! I call it home because reality is just too wierd. Heck, I'm moving in!

Just kidding, and see you around.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.