FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When will we start to see progress in Iraq?

Author Topic: When will we start to see progress in Iraq?
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
When will we see proof of progress in Iraq?

<T>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
They say there is progress...
But, I wish I could find a site or blog or something telling the truth in the matter.
Just because they say the sky is orange, doesn't mean I'll believe them!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O...
wow... I'm going to go crawl in a corner and cry because people are stupid.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Which people?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry. Turgan can not come to the post right now. He's busy weeping. Leave a message after the beep.
*BEEP!*

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you aware of what happened Sunday?

Was it five co-ordinated attacks in one day?

How do we tell the Nationalist Rebels from the Terrorists?

When will the majority of Iraqi's be able to put together a government, military and police force that can handle these situtation?

When can we wash are hands of this and bring this situation to a peaceful solution?

<<<THOR>>>

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple. Nationalist rebels blow up military convoys. Terrorists blow up women and children.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

- posted      Profile for Snowden           Edit/Delete Post 
A few more years, it's a war of attrition. The insurgents have to run out of men and bombs eventually. SBS, they are getting more coordinated, and it's going to get better before it gets worse, but the insurgents don't have a viable positive plan so we just have to wait them out, like the KKK.

[ September 14, 2004, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 611 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like what they said about the Palestinians years ago....
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

- posted      Profile for Snowden           Edit/Delete Post 
The Palestinians weren't blowing themselves up, I think that's a substantive difference. I'm more worried that we are dealing with a situation closer to the Reconstruction Southern Whites, and they stayed ticked for a good long while, and well, ended Reconstruction.

[ September 14, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 611 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Why can't anyone step up and answer my question?

When will we see progress in Iraq?

<<<THOR>>>

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
What, like a Wal-Mart?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
0600 GMT October 2, 2004.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Jeez, can't progress wait until after breakfast?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That is after breakfast in Iraq.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Pssh. McDonald's would disagree. I can get a Sausage Biscuit until 10:30am.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, sure, if you call that breakfast.

I call it Fred.

Dagonee

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh there is progress.

When will we see it here in the States?

With the media's current attitude? ...Never.

I keep in contact with friends serving in Iraq for my updates on the state of affairs there.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

What do they say about it?
I genuinely am interested in it from all perspectives.

http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/

Very interesting...

But why aren't soldier's protecting civilians?

[ September 15, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When will we see proof of progress in Iraq?
Proof is highly overrated. I'm tired of proof. It was proof of WMDs that got us into this mess. I'd be happier with a clear set of goals besides "a free and democratic Iraq." I don't know what that looks like, and I don't know what kinds of means we are willing to employ to bring this about. And in this age, the means are as indicative of the severity of the situation as the goals. What kind of coersive measures, because that's how the US gets things done, are we willing to resort to if someone hops on a plane and launches another attack here.

[ September 16, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

A clear neatly mapped out plan with an alternative plan in case the first one doesn't work would be rather nice...
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I would think you of all people would understand that people and societies don't come with neatly mapped-out plans. People are unpredictable. Any plan you lay out will change radically the very first day you try to implement it.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That's why I stated there should be alternate plans.
There should at least be some sort of framework, it's better than no plan at all or, "We're really working on it, really!"

fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Syn, I would think you of all people would understand that people and societies don't come with neatly mapped-out plans. People are unpredictable. Any plan you lay out will change radically the very first day you try to implement it.
Sure they do. We have one here called The Constitution. We have The Declaration of Independence, as well (that while not setting up laws or some such did point to a vision of what our country should look like). Iraq doesn't have a realistic vision of what their future could look like and it will have to be up to them to decide it, not us.

Heard a journalist on Terri Gross make a good point about the differences in vision over there. The current prime minister that we picked and put into power came out of the gate strong and had initial support of his people. Why? His people spread rumors that he had shot some insurgents PERSONALLY and "CUT OFF HANDS" of others. This was seen by the population of Iraq as a positive thing but over here, many would find it reprehensible and over the top.

The point is, we won't see progress in Iraq until we are out of there. And we won't ever leave until we can assure that the person in power is and will remain pro-USA which means...we probably will never leave Iraq.

And to the poster who implied that it is the media's responsibility for progress? [Roll Eyes]

It wasn't the media that declared "Mission Accomplished" a year ago giving false hope that we were through and our young men and women would come home.

fil

[ September 15, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: fil ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
just a side note, but it seems kofi annan just said that the war was a violation of the UN charter and therefore illegal.

oh, and it seems like we're on our way towards invading iran. i guess as long as we've got our military in the area...

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sources?
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
Annan Questions Legality of Iraq War and Elections

yeah, forgot to mention, he also said that he didn't expect elections to be possible.

and

Nuclear talks stall as US hardens line on Tehran

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why can't anyone step up and answer my question?

When will we see progress in Iraq?

Simple. When there is uniformity in the Middle East. Uniformity of politics, socioeconomic structure, religious tolerance, and other important criteria that make a country great, namely Education, Transportation, and Communications. But why, you wonder? Why no progress?

How about:

Religious discordance both internally and externally. Religious fanatacism vs a brutal secular regime with a dictator living like a king.

Then there is an entire nation above which is formed around a religious power base and other neighbors that are monarchies and regimes to add to the discordance. And I do not even need to mention Israel to further add to the disarray.

But even in opening the can of worms that is the Middle East, we should be fearful of when they do finally settle their grievances as an entity, and become a new Superpower.

That will truly be a day of reckoning!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But even in opening the can of worms that is the Middle East, we should be fearful of when they do finally settle their grievances as an entity, and become a new Superpower.

That will truly be a day of reckoning!

I doubt it, since they must first learn to behave sanely, which would involve recognizing that they are better off without crazed dictators in power...not to mention understanding that anything done by the US fifty or twenty or even ten years ago was done largely by people who are no longer in power.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

http://www.mykeru.com/
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, that is very powerful stuff. [Frown]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

If Bush and Company never lay out a plan for Iraq, then we can never say that their plan is failing.

Apparently the ONLY part of the Plan that they thought out was "Get Saddam!", other than that, they have no clue.

It is almost like the Early Americans going into the Indians cultures and trying to force them into a Democracy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.