FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack: The Powderkeg (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack: The Powderkeg
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or have emotions been running high all around? Has the shrillness level gone up several decibels, is the carpet mined with sparks waiting to happen?

(It's a serious question. It may just be me. Lately I have been high of emotion, shrill, and kinda sparky. I can't tell whether this is bigger than me, though.)

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Might have something to do with the impending doom of the election. Sky's falling or something--with everybody convinced that the world will end if their side doesn't win... [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It's bigger than you, and it's bigger than Hatrack.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my sense, too, but the evidence from my life was (by its very nature) quite personal and me-related.

I'm a little worried about how all this energy will eventually get defused.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't just you.

There is an election coming up that is very frustrating, as there is no real alternative being offered.

There is a war, that whether or not it was right to enter into, we are now obligated to clean up after and it is a very difficult and frustrating task that is involving the loss of lives on both sides.

And every once in a while, things just come to a head. People say truly insulting things, and other people get rightly offended. Anyone who hasn't offended someone else on this board, please raise their hand.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
The world won't end, but it won't get better either. (edit: in relation to the election) And that is very, very frustrating. I think in general, people are losing faith in society (I know I am) and want to just close up and do nothing, but know that this is wrong too.

But doing something just makes you realize how very little you CAN do. That is very frustrating, and you can get angry when you see people who have more power than you but still do nothing.

[ September 19, 2004, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: AmkaProblemka ]

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've offended anyone, but that's mostly due to the fact that I don't post much that isn't me-related. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka hit the nail on the head. The election's got the whole county worried.
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think that there is a major seasonal shift, for those of us in North America, anyway.

Plus, there have been quite a few hurricanes right in a row. Weather affects us more deeply than we know. I believe that, anyway.

Add to that the news in the world, and things get frenetic, like a squirrel scrambling across the road trying to get the last acorns of the season.

The light is diminishing. When there is less sunlight, there is less vitamin D.

Those are some of my thoughts about the general mood.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Truthfully, I can't say that I give two damns about the election either way, for various reasons.

However, I have a great deal of personal stress and that certainly colors my interactions on the board.

Will the stress level overall go down? Probably - it tends to move in cycles and we're just experiencing a peak.

Patience, in most things, is a virtue and Hatrack is no exception.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

For some reason the sparkiness seems distilled here. Maybe it's the lack of body language to use for interpretation, but it's probably also that it is an ideas-focused place, and there is less idle chit-chat here than there is in face-to-face conversations.

I mean, I know we have the hug thread and all, but it's pretty rare IRL to walk into a room and say some of the things we start threads on here.

(I am not thinking of any thread in particular, I promise. I can see where this could be a dicey point of misinterpretation. But we rightly may post about something we say on the news or read on the web, etc., and it usually would just be part of conversation, just now the rest of us may bring more to the reading of it. I think.)

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

There is also usually not a hug room IRL either [Smile]

I think it is because this is an idea forum, and a fairly diverse one as well.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

(((Amka)))

[Wink]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't care less about the elections, but I guess the snarkiness is contagious. [Smile] Maybe it's because winter is coming.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
<insert standard "it's the Hatrack cycle" reply here>

<insert comment on how Hatrack will become all fluff soon and people will complain about it here>

<insert group hug smilie here>

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

It feels more firey than usual for these cycles, Kama, but that's just from my perspective. It may be more reflective of my personal life than anything here.

On another note, I have this friend, he's a little guy from Haribo, and he'd like to get to know the inside of your nose a little better. *grin

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're the one behind that conspiracy!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Feh, I don't even have the energy to make the requisite pun.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

uh ... *waves hands around ... it's not like I'm a pimp or anything. I just got these ... friends ... and they have needs ... and I've got bills to pay and all.

*shifty eyes

TMedina
Member # 6649

Edit: Point taken.

-Trevor

[ September 19, 2004, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

You end up regurgitating information better left unsaid.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I always knew, secretly, Sara was a Catholic schoolboy.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I have a fascination with naughtiness that belies my prim exterior, 'tis true.
Aerin
Member # 3902

- posted      Profile for Aerin           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm not saying we should misbehave, but we should look as though we could." -- Oscar Wilde
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Big Grin]

Aerin, haven't seen you in ages!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
A big blowup would provide good popcorn fare for those of us in the hatrack back seat.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there are more exciting things to do in the Hatrack back seat though. [Smile]

- Beren

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...I've noticed that a lot of people on Hatrack have been rather cranky lately.

*mourns the sun*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Hatrack's any more edgy than it usually is at this part of the cycle, Sara. I think you're feeling a bit more fragile, though, and are noticing it more.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've been more cranky than usual lately. Don't know why, other than stress.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

It's a definite possibility Tom, fer shure indeed.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a lot more cranky that I have been in the past, at least here.

I am sick of it, to tell you the truth.

I think that is why Hatrack goes in cycles. People get tired of debating serious issues, particularly when some of the people they are debating with have little or no moral compunction to warping the truth, or ignoring the issues in favor of debating precedence and/or procedural difference.

I use to stay away from the more serious isses...and I am remembering why now. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me...just ask Alucard, or Dagonee. We have differed on a lot, and at times even gotten a bit short with each other, but we always resolved it.

Sometimes it is a problem with the way I phrased something...or a lack of clarity on my part, that lead to the disagreement. Sometimes it is because we are on opposite sides of the issue, and are too far apart to reconcile. And yet others it is because we just didn't understand one another's position.

One way or another, we still respect each others opinions, or at least the right to hold an opinion other than what we ourselves believe.

Not everyone is so respectful though....which is why I usually don't bother to post in the political threads much, except to debunk obvious lies...on either side.

Sara, while Hatrack DOES go in cycles, each cycle has it's own particular flavor, and I think this cycle has been a bit more touchy than the last few.

Too bad there isn't another LOTR movie coming out to deliver us to fluffdom again... [Big Grin]

Kwea

[ September 19, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
We should write a letter to Peter Jackson and ask him to do a fourth one. It could even feature Hatrack as central to the plot. And an Alvin cameo (Maker, not Chipmunk).
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Aw, come on, Alvin the Chipmunk would be much more fun:

Yuletide, yuletide time is near
Time for mead and time for cheer
We’ve been good, but we can’t last
Hurry yuletide, hurry fast
Want a shiny bell to ring
Me, I want the Dark Lord’s ring
We can hardly stand the wait
Please yuletide, don’t be late.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really cranky, but I got it out of my system over on Nauvoo. I came this close to calling somebody a "whited sepulchre."

[ September 19, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo! That's almost as nasty as calling them, say, "corrugated siding."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Dag....

Thanks.

Now I have Alvin the Chipmunks voice stuck in my head....

[Taunt]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I came this close to calling somebody a "whited sepulchre."

This is EXACTLY why I don't post at Nauvoo. All niches get filled, and I like not having to claim the idiots. [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Actually, I can hear Alvin hissing, "My precious!"

-Trevor

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Golllllluuuuuuuuuum!
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not just here. LiveJournal's been very prickly lately, too. And I myself have been walking around throwing things, and I don't even pay attention to politics or the war. Maybe it's the weather or something.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All niches get filled, and I like not having to claim the idiots.
To whom are you referring?
To the self-righteous guy that disagreed with me, right?

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I agree that it is a cycle, but I stand ny my weather-season theory. Loss of light, or too much. So much comes down to that.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't think that is the only reason, Liz...but it may be a good part of it.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, of course it is not the only reason, it can just exacerbate things.
katharina
Member # 827

Yozhik, I honestly don't even read or post enough to remember user names, but it's not you. [Razz] (I know you go by a different name there.)
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
There has been no example of nastiness or crankiness on Hatrack in a very long time that approaches the levels it used to get to. Barring RL's thread, a person who isn't really a Hatrack regular, all that I've seen are people strongly disagreeing, which is wonderful.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have had to rein myself in a bit, I know I am getting cranky, for lack of a better word. I hope I have contained it, but even so i feel bad sometimes.

But I have contributed (I hope that is the right word... [Big Grin] ) to some serious topics,more than I use to, so that is probably why as well.

Some of what I am discussing is personal, although I might not say so in the threads.

Kwea

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not just me? I know I stayed off Hatrack for about five days due to crankiness, and since then I have purposely stayed out of all political threads (until after the election) and some of the religious threads. Because it was giving me this negative, black cloud over my head that I didn't need at this time of my life....

...but I, too, feel this will pass......

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It's a sign of just how warm and fuzzy Hatrack has gotten that this current state passes for crankiness.

*considers* I wonder if it is because so many of us have met each other now?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.