FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Slutwear is so last year... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Slutwear is so last year...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you... but I'm relieved.

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, provided young women go to CNN Money for their fashion tips... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that article is biased. Could they not find a better term than 'slutwear'? I mean, really.

edit: Yes, I know that's a slow pitch. [Smile] But I do think the term is offensive.

[ September 21, 2004, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit to a certain confusion. Why would a teenage girl with bad posture want to wear clothes which accentuate an emerging potbelly, when us 40-something women are trying so hard to suck it in and take it back to the old flat-tummy days?

I'll be glad to see that style go away.

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the term is offensive.

Which is why I support using it.

Sometimes it's better to give something offensive an offensive name.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I will miss this look. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I was suprised when I heard that on the news the other day myself.

I hope it's true. Self Respect is an important image to portray IMHO.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic – the title made me think of a phrase that keeps popping up on another board I’ve been reading (yes, Hatrack, I’ve been cheating on you [Cry] ) The second most common phrase to express disapproval of something (after “tacky”) seems to be “___ is so eighties.” Has anyone else heard/seen this? When did the eighties become the epitome of uncoolness?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
Errr, oh yeah, gotta admit when I get the abs back where they belong, i.e., firmly situated, I WILL wear jeans that show navel.

Not sure whether I am suffering from jealousy that young folks get to wear the cool clothes, or a desire not to see pre-pubescent girls dressed like tarts. Some of each, I suspect.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

80's uncool! No way! I grew up during the 80's. That was back when Michael Jackson was BLACK and Break Dancing was all the fad.

And remember "Ghetto Blasters?" Plastic Jackets and rolled up pants.

Woot!

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hey... nothing is wrong with the 80's!

*sings the "I love the 80's" song from VH1*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when the 70s were the epitome of tackiness.

Then they decided to make it cool again.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

It is true that "That 70's Show" is a hit and "That 80's Show" lasted half an episode. If you judge by that, then the 80's did blow.

I had fun though. Innocent and carefree were my days then the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up and we watched it on TV at school. That was when reality of the world set in.

[ September 21, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Then they decided to make it cool again.
For which my pumpkin orange countertops and gold kitchen floor tile thank them. Now if I can just get avocado green apliances I will be so cool.

[ September 21, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Or rust red.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, am very sad to hear that "the slut is dead" and kinda liked some things about the 80's... and am happy that my local boys Bowling for Soup continue to do well (don't they do "I Love the 80's"?)
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I sure am going to miss the barely-covering skirts ("ass-skirts" as they've been fittingly described) and five inches of stomach and sheer shirts with oddly (sorry, "artfully") ripped holes in them.

When will people learn that that's not cool in an office or even academic setting? Grr...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hip to be modest
Yay! [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Sometimes it's better to give something offensive an offensive name.

I'm guessing these times remarkably coincide with those times you find things offensive. [Evil Laugh]

Seriously, I'm suprised you say this. It isn't usually tolerated on Hatrack, if at all. I don't even really see you doing it in your posts. Why larger society but not Hatrack?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Slutwear will be back. This was just the latest update of the hot pants.

I figure we have at least 15 years, even if the cycles are speeding up.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it rather amusing that these new fashions seem to be described as rather extreme modesty, but I applaud the very, very large step in the right direction. [Smile] Well presuming this is actually what's going to happen....

I find the current ... female fashions to be very bothersome. It's distracting to me, and everytime I see a girl walk by dressed like ... well in this type of clothing I always feel the need to look away, or at the ground. At a college campus I've come to truely appreciate the magnficiences that is the concrete under me. [Wink] My only refuge is in riding my bike everywhere way too fast so that I barely have time to recognize if someone iss there so I can avoid them, I go by way too fast sometimes to even notice gender. Unforuntaly, I don't always have this luxury, and I'll be glad if this becomes less of a factor.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I, quite frankly, appreciate the distraction.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, standards differ from audience to audience, but when the fashion resembles something you'd see standing on a street corner at 03:30 in the morning, working the docks...well.

A little teasing, a little flirting can be very fun and personally, I like having something left to the imagination rather than really bad attempts to show off what you haven't got.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Big Grin]
CStroman
Member # 6872

Hence why some schools have gone to separately educating boys and girls (some successfully or so I've heard).

It's part of that phenomenon of I want to flaunt it but damn you if you look at it.

I don't get it.

Show it all and then get mad when someone doesn't talk to you in the face.

[Confused]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't let the chemise fall from the shoulder if you aren't wearing a chemise, only pasties.

[No No]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Do more modest clothes make it so you don't have these distractions, Hobbes? The hint of flesh, the shape of an object hinted at, is often much more provocative and erotic for me than the actual uncovered object itself. I mean, you guys do realize that women aren't going to revert to wearing chadors so that the various lovely curves of the female body are going to be hidden?
TMedina
Member # 6649

I'm happy with the idea - I do my best to maintain eye contact, but if you're wearing a top that might be better suited to my back pocket as a hanky, so sorry.

If you don't want people looking, next time pick a top with more than two square inches of fabric.

Granted, this in no way should ever be construed as an excuse or license to touch, but c'mon - you have no right to complain if you happen to draw an audience.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I think the rules of the game are that you look when not directly addressing the woman. It's mostly rude to talk to a woman's breasts or lick your chops while your eyes travel up and down her body. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

So has anyone else heard the "so eighties" thing before or not?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Not till today...
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I have once, dkw, recently. But I just may not have been paying attention.

[silly cross-thread posting befuddlement]

[ September 21, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the 80s were coming back. Color me confused. [Dont Know]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I haven't.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

They are! At least the music... You go to any club for 20 or 30 somethings and that's all you hear. It's great! [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If modesty continues to come back, my daughter will finally be cool!

Although, she is even more modest than my standards - she won't wear shorts in the summertimes. Says she doesn't want that much of her legs exposed. She wears capris.

To quote my daughter "Shorts are for running track. They don't make you look good, and you can be just as comfortable and cool in capris."

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this means I won't see that woman in Wal-Mart with the low-cut sweatpants and thong underwear again ...

That isn't even so 80s - it's just so wrong.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm, I find these "slutwear" outfits to be far less "sexy" then something more modest, that also alows for greater freedom of movement, basically what you said, but I find the slutwear (what a werid term, I feel werid just typing it [Wink] ) far more distracting. For one, it tends to be (though I admit it isn't always) much more... bright! There's also the attitude that goes along with it. I mean let's face it, you don't put the goods on display, if you will, if you're not in the market, it mixes in with the whole attitute of the look.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 21, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Heh, heh. Gotcha.
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, though I blush [Blushing] to say it, I find the slutware attractive. At least in the sense that it becomes very difficult to look away.

So I say good riddance. It's a paradoz.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Telp:
nothing is wrong with the 80's

I've got a desk full of 80's music, and my buddies all tease me about my "gay band" collection.

Pet Shop Boys anyone?

Back on topic: I will be relieved when thong exposure goes away. Trying not look, and worrying about getting caught looking, and worrying about pitching a tent in public... I'll be relieved.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course slutware is "attractive" if it attracts your eyes. It will always be "attractive".
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

What's interesting to me about about this thread is that you see negative objectification coming from the modest crowd, rather than the immodest crowd. If the theories of exposure that the modesty people have espoused were true, it seems like we would see the exact opposite.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
People in my generation really aren't going to stop wearing clothing that show's everything, maybe a few will.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Chasing time from hour to hour, I spill the drinks and crush the flowers.
TMedina
Member # 6649

At the risk of interrupting the improv poetry,

Breyer - they will when they get old unless social standards change a lot between now and then. [Big Grin]

Eye-catching does not necessarily mean attractive - garish and tacky will draw the eye just as quickly as anything else.

-Trevor

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the term slutwear. Why are we attaching negative moral judgements based on how a woman looks? Just because someone is dressing in a certain way doesn't mean she is promiscuous, and even if she is unless you're her parent (if she's under 18) or her doctor, that's none of your business.

At the same time, I decidedly think there are time and places where more revealing clothes are and are not appropriate. Most places of employement = not appropriate. Most schools probably also = not appropriate. And as I believe we've discussed in the past, the age range for this clothing seems to be getting younger and younger, and that's probably not appropriate. But that's the parent's call, especially when they're buying the clothing.

I also agree that you shouldn't wear it unless you're okay with people looking. It's rather disingenuous to wear tight or skimpy clothing and then complain about people giving you the once-over... but again, there's a difference between looking and touching, between being appreciative and making lewd comments. I'm not going to dress provocativly unless I know where I'm going and who I'm going to be with, and am confident that the situation is going to be safe for me. But I get to make that call, no one else, and if I'm wrong, I'm the one who has to take the responsibility for it.

That said, I'm going to go workout. My vinal hip-huggers are a little tight, and since it's fall I know I'm going to want to wear them again soon. [Razz]

[ September 21, 2004, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread.

If you dress in a way that allows me to confuse you with a prostitute, then I will refer to what you're wearing as "slutwear". If you wear a white lab jacket, I may call it your doctor wear.

That is all.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It's not the most politically correct phrase to use, granted.

And as you say, an unfair evaluation about a person based on their clothing choices.

Hmmm.

-Trevor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.