FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it something about me, personally, or is this just a guy thing I Don't Get? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is it something about me, personally, or is this just a guy thing I Don't Get?
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Exposed Organs. Waggling Willies.

Admittedly, It doesn't happen that often, but it seems that it happens to me more often than to people I know.

Why do guys do this? Okay, I guess I understand the little boys doing it when I was a kid. Shock value, the transgressive thrill. My little boy has done it to me a few times, because he thinks it's funny.

But just the "Hey, There's a girl walking down the street. I think I'll whip it out" thing.

I mean, WHAT? What do they expect me to do? Am I supposed to be shocked? Overcome with lust? WHAT!?!

It's pathetic, in a way. I just don't understand. I'm not particularly bothered, shocked or excited by a little veiny pink skin. Is it too much to ask that people KEEP It IN THEIR PANTS?

This doesn't seem to happen to my friends. Why ME? Is there an invisible sign on my head that says, "Penis Inspector"? [Wall Bash]

[/rant]

God, I never want to outside again.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Total guy thing. Right, guys?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I never want to outside either.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting morning? [Eek!]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Poor Olivia! Can't say I've ever had that trouble, although I have heard about the phenomenon. I'm just as baffled as you.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Only guys do it since, generally speaking, we're the only ones with the equipment to put on display.

2. I have never, ever exposed myself in public, nor do I have any desire to do so.

Why do some males expose themselves? You'll get various psychological answers and the specific answer will vary from person to person.

I'm sorry you seem to be on the short end of this particular stick, Olive.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
(mentally revising my "things to do if I ever meet Olivetta" list...)
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, you've outsided?

Olivet, did he just pull it out right there, or was he just walking down the street like that?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Well.... we do build obelisks and other large pointy structures...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you must just be a freak magnet.... [Eek!]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
That's almost as far from being a guy thing as you can get....
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a minor correction, women can and do often expose their breasts in public...

That said, Olivia, I have no idea why you get it so much. I've never heard of it happening to any of my female friends outside of a setting where they went on a first date with a guy, and when they got to a private place him whipping it out. (In both cases, the women were awesome enough to go insult the guy's equipment before walking out the door). I know it HAPPENS. Maybe you spend too much time near guys walking home while drunk?

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've know of guys to do this, but I've also known of girls to whip them out.

In fact, I've known girls to do it much more than the guys. Maybe it's just a girl thing that I don't understand.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a public library once looking for a book. I had squatted down to read the titles on the very bottom row.

When I looked up, there was this guy right next to me -- above me -- with it whipped out playing with it while staring at me.

I nearly threw up. I mean -- it is such a shock to the system to suddenly realize someone is sexually fantasizing about you without your permission....you feel....violated, or squicky out or whatever.

That said, I also have to agree with Paul. Back when I drove a semi -- my co-drive was my boyfriend -- women in passing cars where always "flashing" him -- seems they really got a cheap thrill out of it (and so did he, of course) (Because, you know, truck drivers can look right down into the interiors of cars so well -- you would be amazed at some of things we watched)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife tells a story of the time when her car left her stranded downtown. A guy in dirty coveralls walked by and stopped to look under her hood. She said that his coveralls were unzipped all the way down to his waist, and when he bent over the front of the car an erect willy popped out and briefly came in contact with the hot radiator. Next time she'll get him to bend over a leaky car battery.

The lady next door teaches jr. high math and says that she had to send a girl home on the first day of school this year because the girl was going commando in skin-tight, sheer white pants.

[ September 22, 2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: skillery ]

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha.
This was an accidental penis show, but you know those flimsy runner's shorts, the ones that have a slit up the side and are usually kind of silky?

Well, a dad who practices with his kids' track team was sprinting with the kids, and apparently was running "freestyle." He did not know it, but he was running more freely than he thought. In fact, his willy was waggling outside the shorts for all the lacrosse parents to see. (they played lacrosse on a field within the track area.)

Sorry, just had to share.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

This one is nasty.
Last year, an aide was covering one of the 7th grade classes. She did not know, but in the back row, a young man was having at himself. A girl next to him asked what in heck he was doing. He asked if she would like to help...and she did.
Not good. Nope. Not good at all.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Because, you know, truck drivers can look right down into the interiors of cars so well -- you would be amazed at some of things we watched)

I've heard stories. [Big Grin] You should start a thread with your own stories, or share them here!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, I always wondered about that aspect of truck driving.

Edit: Do truck drivers then report these sightings over the CB radio?

[ September 22, 2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys do stupid things like that. I remember "pancing" (yanking down a fellow male student's drawers in school halls, etc. just so long as it was in front of females) when I was in school.

But it is not all guys. Basically it's the deterioration of society as a whole.

I've seen the "Girls Gone Wild" ads on late night TV. As well as the "Jerry Beads" on Jerry Springer. Both make me sick at how degenerative Americans are becomming.

But it's not my thing.

[ September 22, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do truck drivers then report these sightings over the CB radio?
A friend had a CB and I heard a trucker telling people about a 34 and a half in a convertible.

Dagonee

[ September 22, 2004, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically is the deterioration of society as a whole.

Not especially. I will agree that looser morals are not more easily seen than at any other time in history, but I'm not ready to accept that there are more degenerates nowadays. Some study of ancient civilizations or even a cursory glance at erotica through history can help out there.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a 34 and a half?

And I thought it was pantsing.. since one's pants are pulled down. *shrugs* I've never seen it written before.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

What is 34.5 half of?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some study of ancient civilizations or even a cursory glance at erotica through history can help out there.
A study of ancient civilizations that have, um, deteriorated? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was about 12 years old, I went to a triple A baseball game here in Edmonton. A friend of mine noticed that, directly behind him, was a man wearing naught but a pair of spandex shorts. These shorts were woefully short, and the man's scrotum was revealed to be poking out of the sides. We had a good laugh, and my mom was mortified.

What I still wonder to this day is, did he not feel something? Let alone the physical sensation one must feel when spandex shorts are cutting off the circulation to one's boys, did this man feel no embarassment? Or perhaps it was his intent to reveal himself. In either case, it is a memory I will always carry, to my chagrin.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
What is 34.5 half of?
Yep, there was an awful lot of that.

quote:
Do truck drivers then report these sightings over the CB radio?
You mean to each other? Sometimes.

Once (and this was 20 years ago, remember) we saw a motorist who had a TV in his front seat (this was before these new vans we have with DVD players) and he was watching TV while driving! He was weaving all over the place, on I-80 across Nebraska.

We got on the CB and called for a cop (they used to have CBs in their cars back then, (some of them, just on their own), contacted one, and we reported this guy. Then we stayed with him to update location. Finally the patrol caught up with us, moved up alongside of this TV-watching guy and paced him for about two miles and I don't think the guy ever looked up and saw him.

Then they shut him down. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there an invisible sign on my head that says, "Penis Inspector"?
[ROFL]

*head falls off*

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
naught but a pair of spandex shorts
You won't see that where jellowjackets are abundant.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I am thinking aloud here, but I am assuming men who do this think women will be (on some level) impressed. Because of size... I dunno. It is pretty easy to look at a clothed woman and know the approximate size of her breasts. It is a lot harder to tell the size of a clothed man's member. Maybe they figure they were well endowed and they want to share that with the world?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh.... It's so obvious now...

Thanks.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Frankly, it just sounds dangerous to me.
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Maybe they figure they were well endowed
The branch office where I do my banking has a yardstick attached to the door so that the surveillance camera can record your height as you enter the building.

Maybe the exterior of men's trousers should be ruled in both metric and English units.

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've never even really noticed women to be all that interested in the size *Shrug* as long as its not tiny, they don't seem to care too much about size... *shrug*
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
*snorts* at Paul.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Guess I'm wrong [Smile] heh.

Honestly, my female friends have never seemed to care about that.

*insert comment about self here*

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing there's a wide range of don't-care to exact-dimension-favorites. Many girls don't really find penises interesting at all, while some find them fascinating.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't women do it? Because if they are the least bit attractive, they can do it and get paid. Well, that is what a phsych book said about it around 20 years ago.

Never had the urge to do it.

Couldn't give you a good reason why, accept "because I can".

Perhaps its a less violent "rape"/control issue. "I can get a response out of you by doing this, and you can't."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Honestly, my female friends have never seemed to care about that.
[ROFL] *bites my tongue*
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Flashers are usually compulsive - they are driven to expose themselves for various reasons.

Before anyone speculates, I took a course in deviant psychological behavior geared expressly for vice officers on the local police force.

Every once in a while, you run across the odd bird who likes the shock value, but generally speaking there are underlying motivations.

One specific class was the "incidental flasher" who has learned or believes that exposing one's genitals leads to sexual activity. These were classified as being the most dangerous because if they targeted children, they would be the first to try and silence the witness lest they be reported.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Flasher story.

This was on the radio a few years ago.

A local McDonalds drive through worker got tired of Mr. NoPants driving ordering his coffee and eggs every morning, then showing up at her window all happy to see her.

The second day he showed up she held up the drive through line while the police were called in and arrested him.

The police also got their breakfast to go.

All I kept thinking of when I heard this story was, "He must have good cup holders, cause there is no way he'd be putting that coffee between his legs."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Too bad she couldn't have "accidentally spilled" the coffee whil handing it to him.... [Evil Laugh] That's what I would have done!

Farmgirl

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me... size does matter... [Wink]

I figure looking at a dude's buldge is just as fun for me as straight dudes looking at women's curves. [Smile]

[of course I try to avoid this since it's a tad rude... "hey Frodo! Eyes up here!"]

[ September 22, 2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Ok. Size matters. LOL

Some of my collegiate female friends were... very frank with me about sex, and it never seemed to be something they talked about.

Whatevah. I'm not worried. I got more then enough *grin, runs*

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm actually surprised to hear you say that, Telp. I guess I just don't 'get' the gay mindset.

For me, I consider the woman's body one of the most beautiful works of art ever created. The breasts aren't separate 'hidden sexual objects', they're part of the art (rhyme unintended). It's part of the figure - the curves are part of what makes 'the whole package' so aesthetically pleasing.

Now with guys, the Bulge isn't a natural piece of the figure. It's a bit of an out of place extremity that looks like it was tacked on at the last moment. Admit it guys - it's silly looking.

Notice that Male anatomy in media is usually used in jokes and adolescent humor, and female nudity is usually used for sexual effect. While admittedly becoming more prevelent, male frontal nudity much less prevalent in films - even in scenes where a woman would Bare It All, there's very little chance you'll ever see Mr Happy.

My favorite all time euphamism for the Penis was used in Stephen King's THE STAND - Harold referred to it as "The Ridiculous Thing", capitilized as I have. I laughed my butt off when I first read that.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

--

So T- does the buldge excite because of the thoughts of what's causing it, or is it part of what you consider 'aesthetic beauty' as well? Because as I said above, part of the main attraction to women for me is the sheer aesthetic beauty thereof, the curves being part of the whole 'composition'. At least for you, does 'aesthetics' play into it at all?

[ September 22, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Good questions Taalcon.

I would answer yes to both. It's cool because of the sexual thing, but it is also (at least for me) part of the whole and not silly at all. To expand on the aesthetic aspect, the human body is symetrical...and for me it seems to be the central point, along with the face and head, that joins the two halves.

Dunno how to explain further... but yah. It's both cool unto itself and as the whole.

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Olivia, you're not the only one.

I was driving home from work and this car in the left lane kept speeding up and slowing down to match my speed. After ignoring the car for so long, I looked over. A man, of course, waved and grinned. I half-ass smiled back because I've got the curse of manners in strange situations. He honked. Against my better judgment I looked over at his car again, mainly because his pace matching was beginning to freak me out. With his left hand on the wheel, he pointed down towards his prize possession then went to town, so to speak. I was shocked. I missed the perfect opportunity to put a ridiculously proud man in his place. I turned away and put the petal to the metal. I smoked him. My heart was thumping. [Roll Eyes]

If only I'd had the nerve to point, make a teeny weenie sign with my fingers and dramatically laugh.

Not that I'd want a do over in that situation.

Scary!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta, why don't you carry a camera with you or get one of those cell phones that allow you to take pictures and take a picture if possible, so you have something to show police?

In any case, what happened to you really sucks. Some men are real pigs.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

My memories of childhood are faint at best, but I recall something happening to me that I didn't realize the meaning/significance of until much later. I was at a park with my family. On the edge of the park was a forest on a steep hill, and I went exploring on my own. It was a ways off, but a man was standing at the top of the hill. He whistled at me and made gestures around his exposed loins, but he was too far away for me to see much. I was confused and uncomfortable, and left. I didn't tell anyone what happened. I thought maybe the guy was urinating and wondered why he was acting so funny.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.