FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies You Would Like To See Re-Made (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies You Would Like To See Re-Made
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, you know those movies that you love, but you think could be better! Let's hear 'em!

I would love to see Ladyhawke remade. I just watched it tis evening for the first time; I absolutely loved it!!! Unfortunately, it was made in the 80s; in other words, bad music and special effects. I would love to see what modern special effects, and John Williams (or Howard Shore) could do with this movie.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
The first two Harry Potter movies, directed by Alfonso Cuaron

and

Ella Enchanted done like the BOOK this time

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie version of Rain.
Nothing like the book.
The book was extradinary, it had this excellent feel to it...
The movie version ruin it!
And also Practical Magic. The movie sucked compared to the book!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Wars series.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you get the news, Scott? They already have been. Direct to DVD release just about three days ago! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Love, Actually
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart Little. It was also nothing like the book.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way i'd ever want to see Ladyhawke remade would be if they got Matthew Broderick, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Rutger Hauer to all do it again.

and even then...

[ September 24, 2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything. It was a 1979/80(?) made for TV movie starring Robert Hays and Pam Dawber. I'd love to see a real remake; Clockstoppers was more a ripoff than a remake.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"A Wrinkle in Time" was horrendously disappointing, mostly because the casting was dead on perfect (I thought). Would like to see the same cast with a radically different script and direction.

I would like to see Tom Hanks play the lead in remakes of several old Jimmy Stewart movies... just to see it.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Strider: Yes, the cast was really good, they would be hard to replace. I just want to see what modern special effects could do with it.
[Smile]

I'd also like to see The Matrix 2 and 3 redone. The first one was cool, but somewhere along the lines they screwed up the next two.

[ September 24, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- hasn't seen any of them [Blushing]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Star Wars series.
I like the Original Trilogy. But I would remake the whole "prequel" trilogy. And I'd make them completely different.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've actually rethought a whole different storyline approach to them.

"Gaslight" would be a good remake. (although it's been done twice, but both over 50 years ago)

[ September 24, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I love LadyHawke and I thought that the music was great. It was done by Mark Knofler(SP?) of Dire Straights.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Pride and Prejudice. But this time, in Utah, with corny Mormon jokes.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the music for LadyHawk too...

I would like to see LOTR remade... because you can never have enough Tolkien! [Smile] And maybe they will actually get Denethor's character right! [Wall Bash]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pride and Prejudice. But this time, in Utah, with corny Mormon jokes.
[ROFL]
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the Original Trilogy. But I would remake the whole "prequel" trilogy. And I'd make them completely different.

Personally I would like to unmake the prequel trilogy.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see the Hobbit remade, live action, absolutely faithful to the book, with scary spiders and dragon.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see every corny girl movie I've seen over the last five years remade into something remotely entertaining....oh wait, that isn't what you meant. [Cool]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see the third Harry Potter remade by someone who realizes that it is part of a larger story and that there are elements of it that are too important to future events to leave out.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The Postman. The book by David Brin is far, far superior to the movie, and is honestly one of my favorites. The movie does not follow the book's plot. At all.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers With a cast that could act, and a script written by people who had actuall read the book.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I actually really liked the mormon Pride and Prejudice, and this comes from someone who, as a rule, thinks mormon cinema is retarded.

And look! You can get it in November!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
All the ones I want remade are already in the works... Flash Gordon, Last Unicorn... Hmmmm...

I would LOVE to see Logan's Run redone.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, it's actually been out for a while. My wife and I picked it up a month or more ago. Though I guess that was through an LDS book store and not a mainstream source like amazon.

I thought it was pretty good too. I haven't seen much Mormon Cinema. Just "The R.M." which had several funny moments and wasn't too bad overall, and Brigham City which I really enjoyed. I am looking forward to seeing Saints & Soldiers and am curious about "The Best Two Years".

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Shame Jackson is remaking King Kong instead of doing the Hobbit movie...
It would be so cool if they put Spider's Strategem by Dead Can Dance in that movie!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see a better Superman movie. Not so much a remake, as in the same exact scenes and dialogue, and not really a sequel or further adventure either. I would like to see Superman get the same treatment that Spiderman got.

And I would not like it to star Nicholas Cage.

-o-

Honestly, I think the most recent Harry Potter movie is the worst of the bunch so far, though each has disappointed for different reasons. So no, I wouldn't like to see a Cuaron version of this.

Okay wait, I take it back. The second one was the worst of the three.

No. No. The third one was.

Actually, I was right before. The second one was the worst. But I still would not like a Cuaron remake.

j/k [Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars 1,2,3 -- not written by George Lucas. (Ack, I'm already assuming the 3rd one is going to be poorly written...)

Moulin Rouge -- better writing.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Starship Troopers needs to be remade... this time with the armored suits... I had hoped to see them making the big jumps... but old Verhooven just made a hash of it.

And they need to let Tim Burton remake all of the Batman movies that were done after his. Get rid of all that day-glo nonsense.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see them remake Clear and Present Danger in a way that doesn't involve the person who is supposed to become Attorney General dying in Columbia. Then they could complete the Jack Ryan series in movie version instead of reenvisioning him as a low-level analyst.

And for Clark not to be a mercenary. Bad, horrible changes.

[ September 24, 2004, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah yes. Starship Troopers!

How about I, Robot while we're at it? But instead of a remake, more like making it what it should have been.

I think maybe if Susan Calvin was played by Charo . . .

j/k [Wink]

[ September 24, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we unmake the remake of The Manchurian Canidate?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I haven't seen it, but I seem to have heard good things about it. What was wrong with it? Disappointed your Angela Lansbury fetish? j/k [Wink]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I didn't see it either, but the plot overviews told me all I needed to know. They had something going with the Persian Gulf War, and then the "Manchurian Corporation?" What's with that? The trailers gave the impression that they were changing everything, but the name, which is a real shame because The Manchurian Canidate really could have been updated, especially when the original was not been widely scene.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings. Without all the crap this time, please.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy. I didn't like the movie, it lacked the grandeur of the book.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Um, which book?

j/k [Wink]

Annie
Member # 295

The Iliad. Which sucks.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see Arsenic and Old Lace redone, if it was done well. I love the original, but it would be fun to see what a director today could do with it.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, although I enjoyed Starship Troopers - don't ask, I was young and foolish, now I'm old and... - I'd like to see a remake of it. And definitely with jump-suits this time.

And Dune. Although I realize that sadly there's no way one can put that book/series into a movie without losing much of its flavour...

King Arthur. [Wink] Actually, it's been done one time too many... I just saw it yesterday, and although I'm a great admirer of... - err... don't know her name but you know who I'm talking about! - I think the overall efect of the movie was one of "been there, done that". Braveheart, Patriot, 13th Warrior, all of these and more seem to be quite of an inspiration for the battles and the history in itself.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I'd like to see King Arthur redone, too. The movie was really dissappointing.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'm taking a page out of OSC's book. I didn't see King Arthur, but I know it sucks. j/k [Wink]
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a new Wizard of Oz might be interesting to see. It would be hard to replicate that though. The original one was such a classic.

I'd also like to see such classics as The Blob, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Dracula, etc. Only without combining them into one terrible Hugh Jackman film with too many special efects.

[ September 24, 2004, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
How about fixing recent travesties such as Matrix:Revolutions, and Starwars EP: I and II ?
So add my votes to these since they've already been noted

[ September 25, 2004, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: raventh1 ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
How about the movie Explorers only without the ugly, annoying Aliens at the end.

Seriously though, that movie is so awesome right up until that point. It has adventure and discovery, challenge and drama, then it just gets stupid. Make the aliens a tad bit more benevolent and faaaar less bumbling, and it'd be a movie worth watching over and over.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Dune remake, it was a 6 hour+ tv miniseries, and they did an amazing job with it in my opinion. I don't think a movie remake could really beat it, simply becuase movies tend to be limited to 3 and a half hours at most and you can't nearly fit enough of Dune into that time span.

There are a lot of movies that could seriously use being remade as ultra-high buget Tv mini-series. Kinda like Band of Brothers, that was one awesome TV series. Now we just need a Harry Potter one, that actually does it well... 6 - 10 hours per book [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Dune miniseries was excellent. I've read the book(s) many times, and each time I come away with different revelations.

Plot and story aside (shudder), the major problem with the movie was the casting. Kyle McLachlan was absolutely the wrong choice to play Paul Atreides; when I first heard about the David Lynch movie being made, starring Sting, I (and everyone else I knew) assumed that Sting would be playing Paul. Then the movie came out and he was...Feyd Rautha? And Paul was a guy with perfect hair? What the hell?

The actor who played Paul in the miniseries at least looked like he had spent some time in the desert.

And the whole mystical internal dialog stuff that works well on the page and not at all on the screen... [Mad]

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately, it was made in the 80s; in other words, bad music and special effects.
So says you little Miss Thang. You may not like it, but those of us who watched this movie as kids or young adults have other opinions on the subject.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Super Mario Brothers - the most poorly done video game movie of them all... so much more could be done with it

The second and third Matrix movies - not just redone... completely replotted.

12 Angry Men - not because the original is bad, but because the original is too old for most people to appreciate it

Dune - both the movie and the miniseries were fairly bad. It could benefit from the sort of special effects used in Sky Captain.... and from a little less hollywood influence on the story.

The Phantom of the Opera - and it IS being remade! Hooray!

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.