FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
After Taalcon started his thread about Lost, the TV series, and there was a decent amount of interest in the program, I thought I'd start a discussion thread.

Feel free to post thoughts and comments below.

Edited for spelling

[ September 24, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

I'll start:

What is that THING in the forest?!

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people stick their head out of a plane when they know something big and scary is outside?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

The only problem I've had with this show was that I knew as soon as they started climbing towards the cockpit that a body was gonna fall. And as soon as the pilot started breathing again, I knew he was going to die.
Tammy
Member # 4119

Why did what's his name pop out of the bathroom in the airplane like that? I'm suspicious.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Why was a CIA agent flying a plane??
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Tammy, did you notice that he brushed past "Jack", rushing to the front of the plane, right before the plane crashed. I had to review it a couple times before I was sure, but it was him.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
But seriously...
Have any of you seen the anime series Evangelion? The thing in the forest sounded like a Eva gone bezerk. It had this strange, almost mechanical sound to it. I was thinking that maybe it was another dinosaur type deal... but I don't know. Why would dinosaurs tear up trees and not really eat their victims?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I bet there were drugs or something in the bathroom that Dom's character was trying to get to. Hmmmm...
Tammy
Member # 4119

No, I didn't notice that.

I thought he acted strange/odd when the girl was trying to place his face. It was almost like he was trying to hard to convince her of who he is...or who he wants her to think he is.

[Confused]

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
The rock star character was doing drugs on the plane. He also did them on the way to the cockpit.

That will be, I am sure, one of the plot lines this year, his withdrawl from drugs, probably coke.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*keeps quiet until next week*
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Keeping quiet is not an option. This is a spoilers thread.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
See, if you have a friend as obsessed with Domonic Monaghan (I can even spell it) as I do, you would know what specificially Taalcon is keeping quiet about.

Personally I think the THING in the woods can go one of two ways:

1. It turns out to be extremely cheesy (dinosaurs, aliens, large monster with many heads, cylops etc) and we all fear for the sanity of the writer.

2. It could turn out to be very cool. In this case this requires a few more defining attributes and possibilities:
A: That there isn't anything in the woods at all. Cliched and kind of peters out rather quickly; not good for ongoing sagas such as tvs shows. Been done already in Lord of the Flies. This THING however seems, although invisible, seemingly solid.
B: That the THING ( I like it in capitals, I hope it's not bothering anyone) is somehow intelligent and/or interesting enough that, once revealed and if revealed, is able to become a important plor point later on, able to carry several episodes.
C: The thing in the woods is always invisible and they (the writers and director) somehow manage to carry off an endlessly people-mauling-and-depositing-in-tree prescence which no one ever sees.

I have a problem with this plot line. They are on a desert island of limited size. Several plot lines have been laid out, one for each character; a drug addiction, a pregnancy, a girlfriend in denial, a couple who don't speak English etc, but how long can this last? There are 48 characters. I suppose that could stretch, with up to two episodes per character, to 96 episodes, a lengthy sprawl for a weekly show.

But where does the plot go? They cannot be rescued, unless a rescue is thwarted by the THING (I love it, heh heh). They can try and escape but they must ultimately fail. The THING is the only unknown variable short of we've-fallen-into-another-dimension.

Therefore, the THING has a strong possibility of being significant enough to carry and entire plot line by itself. A simple monster in the woods ever-present danger doesn't seem to be complext enough. In order to make the show worthwhile, the THING must present to the 48 survivors, as they go through their various internal plots of births and deaths and attempts of escape, some challenge greater than a monster.

At least that's my opinion. Anyone care to state theirs?

(Also, I disliked the Jurassic Park feel. More than anything, Lost felt like Jurassic Park in the Lost World.)

EDIT: To make a question a statement.

[ September 24, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Well, seeing as I've seen next week's episode, which has defininite ANSWERS to a couple of the questions, I assume you want speculative spoilers apart from "This is what happens next week" spoilers.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Is more revealed about the THING?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

A thing, but not The THING. There are more than one THINGS/things out there...

And the thing that is found certainly raises more questions than it answers...

[ September 24, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

peterh
Member # 5208

Taalcon, feel free to reveal or not. No pressure. Seriously. I respect the fact that you've actually seen it and personally don't want to know that bad, yet.

As far as the THING goes, dinosaur seems like the logical choice, so I hope they don't use it. My wife really doesn't like that thread of the plot.

The number of characters isn't an issue to me. They can say that there's 48 and use 20 extras every episode and only concentrate on a few. Heck a few of the current survivors could easily die of injuries from the crash, in childbirth complications, being killed by the THING, etc.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

And how did they lose communications and the ground lose them on radar? Off course or not we have many ways of finding a plane that went astray or crashed.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, more than one THING, which technically adds interesting plot advances and multiples. Humans caught between other intelligences war. Humans being able to deal with one THING but not with a second or third (etc).

Judging from what Taalcon has revealed and his overall opinion of the show, I'd say that the THING about which information is revealed makes enough sense that enables him to say "This is good" rather than "this sucks."

EDIT: This means the THING they discover is somehow related to a larger question. Such as the only quote released from that episode which is, ominously, "Where are we?".

This leads me to believe (and I'm entering purely speculative ground here) that they discover something (the mysterious THING, which I;m now assuming is real) that makes them feel that they are not where they expected to be or that where they are does not fit into what they know about.

1. the whole fell though a wormhole thing, whether in time or in space. They are on earth but is not the earth they know, they are not on earth.

2. Some sort of on-world biological-weapon experiment (very Jurassic Park), or a variation thereof.

3. Aliens (sigh).

4. Undiscovered Island with undiscovered species cut off from the mainland long enough ago that the species are completely different. This is possible since we have seen no animals (other than the dog).

5. Ents Gone Wrong. Think Orcs vs. Elves, only with Ents.

*shrug*

Now I want to know. Heh.

ADDING ON: The title is, of course, the clue and the quote "where are we?" is completely indicative of that. They aren't just lost on a desert island with monsters, that is what I am now almost certain of.

They are lost somewhere where they are actually LOST, in the capital letters of the title. Now, this could be anywhere (see above) but they are most definately lost somewhere that outwardly seems like a desert island but definately isn't, or appears to definately not be.

It is, of course, possible still that it's all a dream.

Now I'm going to be mulling over a tv show when I'm supposed to be mulling over T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland or somesuch! grrrr!

[ September 24, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
OT

quote:
Why would dinosaurs tear up trees and not really eat their victims?
I had this problem with Resident Evil. If a zombie's only function is to perform the basic need of feeding, why is there always enough of the corpse left to have another fully functioning zombie? Shouldn't it be nothing but a skeleton?

/OT

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Good ideas teshi. Like telp said though, it had a very mechanical sound. Reminded me of Doc Ock's tentacles in a way.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oooo, mechanical creature. Very exciting.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the show, but can anyone tell me why this should have been made into a TV series instead of either a long miniseries or a real movie? What, is this going to become as endless as Gilligan's Island minus the comedy? I just don't see how you can take the premise and turn it into a TV series, I just can't.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

That's the problem. There must be something, revealed soon, that enables it to go on technically forever.
peterh
Member # 5208

I can just see Teshi squirming and thinking, "the more I think about this, the more I want to know"

[Smile]

edited for spelling, again

[ September 24, 2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

Here's an interview with the creator that's SURE to whet your appetite, and it's also pretty spoiler free too [Wink]
Teshi
Member # 5024

I refuse to read it! It's too annoying not knowing! Peterh is correct. I can't concentrate on To The Lighthouse when LOST and the THING are poking away at me!
Taalcon
Member # 839

The interview gives some ideas of directions the show may head, and where it WON'T head.
peterh
Member # 5208

Good read Taalcon.

I'm more excited than ever to keep watching.

I'm fairly certain after reading that we won't be "seeing" the things in the trees.

Teshi
Member # 5024

I read it, darn you Taalcon. Darn you to heck! gah!

Right:

If I had the episode here I'd go over the episode line by line shot by shot but unfortunately I'm relying on a memory that is faded because the conditions in which I saw the episode were bad.

SO:

The creator states a few things. He too is bouncing up and down, but the other way around: he wants US to know, and he can hardly wait for it.

1. He says "strange south pacific island" instead of "island". This I am interpreting as the fact that it is on earth.

2. The island is not inhabited by humans as he says they have access to fish, game etc. Nor is it inhabited by anything intelligent enough to provide them with food.

quote:
So will they divide up? Absolutely.
He says they will divide up. Presumably we will see both sides. These divisions may be lined up with reference/opinion of to the THING(s).

4. The Island already has a name. Definately.

5. It is a destict possibilty that some of the characters were not on the plane and were "planted" by something.

5. Nothing happens by luck. Therefore everyone on that plane was on there for a reason. The plane crashed. Those that died, died for a reason. Jack's distance from the crash site happened for a reason. The dog's survival happened for a reason.

This means that it is a gigantic conspiracy of somekind.

quote:
I will say this -- the herd will be thinned, but that doesn't mean people have to die.
I'm not even going to tackle it. I'm just going to weep.

quote:
Hmmmm. Fascinating that you'd ask this. I would say he TELLS people he's 26
Backstory. Backstory only. This will come in hideously useful later on. He could be one of those not actually on the plane (unlikely since he was the flashback), or he could have a shady past.

quote:
The audience is thinking the poor yahoo with one line is gonna die a gruesome and horrible death, but then it's the REGULAR who gets wiped out. It will be done. Watch and see.
Note to self: do not get attached to characters.

quote:
DL: I will not comment on whether or not we'll be meeting any other human beings on the island who were NOT on the plane. But I will posit this -- Who's to say we haven't already?
Gah! Gah! Gah! Sometimes people who know stuff and don't tell me get on my nerves! This means that it's either complicated mechanical conspiracy or supernatural intervention. Someone planned this, for a reason.

Anyway, the point is that it's been one episode and I'm already bloomin' threorizing what is going to happen and why. I'm already thinking about the characters I know and sorting through them!

*weeps*

Teshi
Member # 5024

One last thing, then I am leaving: This better not be a huge sociological experiment.
peterh
Member # 5208

That would be evil on the part of the creators.
peterh
Member # 5208

*bump*

It's on again tonight!

[Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

I love this show! I'm on the edge of my seat! This was waaaaay better than last week! My favourite moment was the "Republican Guard" moment, closely followed by the revelation that the girl was the convicted and handcuffed one. (I'm tending towards believing that she is convicted but not guilty).

But why would the man-with-the-gun accept that he was the criminal. Perhaps because he actually was a criminal, or because he didn't want to argue?

A Polar Bear, eh? Creepy. As is the transmission that has been repeating for sixteen years, en francais. I'm speculating that this island, populated by Rather Odd Animals (which now can include dinosaurs and a variety of other very out-of-place critters) is a magnet for crashing planes, ships and other transport paraphanalia, and has been for the last 16 years at least.

I thought it was funny that the girl translated the message as "It has got them all," as opposed to "Him" which is how I would have translated it. "It" fits better, I guess, but still...

I really like the way this is unfolding- all the characters are falling into really interesting roles. None are boring.

[Big Grin] I'm happy.

Taalcon
Member # 839

Hehe... the ROAs. Good Acronym! We can use that in general to refer to the creatures, and THING to refer to The Big Guy That Got The Pilot.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Took me a while to figure out what you meant bu ROA's. Got it now.

I see what you mean by perfect timing. The commercials were well timed this time- I was riveted, as I said, and exclaiming as things were revealed.

[Big Grin]

peterh
Member # 5208

ROAs, the THING, perhaps well see some ROUSes.

The only problem I have is that I feel like this week ended with as many questions, if not more, than last week. I can't wait til next Wednesday.

I am thrilled that the roles are becoming more difficult to peg hole as good and bad.

Overall, my only fear is that becomes something of a "Lost World" sans dinos.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that J.J. Abrams is talented enough to keep it from becoming a Lost World-y type of show. I am completely hooked.

One thing I didn't get is - what kind of drug is Merry taking? Orange cocaine?

I am so happy to see Matt Fox in a great lead role. He was on the Columbia football team that broke the loosing streak. I used to see him at Homecoming and he is just as good-looking and nice in person.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Domonic Monaghan (I can even spell it)
Nope, no you can't. But close bananas. [Big Grin] (Dominic)

And now a pertinent contribution -- I am most intrigued by the Asians. I want to beat the guy, but I'm waiting for a twist. I'm also waiting to know what the heck they're saying.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess that the drug of choice of the rock star would be heroin.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I always did have problems with "Dominic/Domonic".

It was the "Monaghan" I was more 'proud' of [Razz] .

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The asian guy is Daniel Dae Kim. He seems to land in any show I like.

Crusade
Angel
CSI
And now Lost.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

The fact that Merry's ( [Smile] I love that people can't separate him from that character) an addict is the important part, because he's likely to start going through withdrawls very soon. Unless this takes a format like 24 where time moves very slowly. It appears that not much more than a day and a half has passed on the show.

I'm not real worried about this turning into a "Lost World" since it seems to be more relationship driven than animal driven, but it would be an easy way to address the situation.

Anyone got any interesting theories on how a polar bear got there?

Teshi
Member # 5024

Ice floes?

[Wink]

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Moving Island?...Bermuda Triagle(or something like that)?

I missed most of it. I fell alseep, so i might not be filled in on many details.

The question I have is..Why was Kate in Hand Cuffs?!? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else see tonight's show?

I liked it, but I felt almost like too many of the questions were answered. Not that I won't watch it next week, but I felt there wasn't enough of an incentive to do so.

Of course, the preview of next week's show totally got me hooked again, even if the show itself didn't.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I don't think we've heard the end of Kate's stories, no matter what Mr. Hero may have said.

Mr. Backgammon is someone to keep your eye on. Just because he pointed out the Duality, the two sides of Light & Dark - does that mean that he's on the Light side?

We may be seeing a change in Mr. Psycho now - he realizes that his arrogance just led to more pain, rather than relief - and he didn't like that. It hurt him.

We still don't know ANYTHING about the Koreans.

I LOVED the Mr. Hero & Harry Knowles Jr exchange:
"Do you think it's Dinosaurs?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because Dinosaurs are extinct."
"Oh. Right."

Dom and Pregnant Lady seemed to hit it off pretty well...

Tammy
Member # 4119

What's up with that Lab? I can't believe it had to be teased back to his boy with a dog whistle.

If our dogs landed on that island, two out of three would have found us immediately. The third, a beagle, would have been sniffing out the polar bears and the other creatures that go bump in the night.

Do you think the Koreans may be related, as in siblings? He's told her he loves her and has been sweet to her while she was sleeping. Could they just be brother and sister?

peterh
Member # 5208

I'm still in love with this show. Although we got a bit of resolution, there are still quite a few plot lines that we don't have anything close to closure on.

My favorite thing so far is the complexity of the characters. No one is simply good or bad.

And Tammy, I definitely think the Koreans are married.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.