FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 18)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice that Sayid was on the T.V. in the recruting office while Kate was talking to her dad?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed Lost last night for my wife. It must be love.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=208504>1=7458

See? She's annoying in real life too!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
!!!!!

Big smoke monster has staring contest with Echo!

...story at eleven

-Leonide

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the Charlie episode. That's the first time I've ever really wanted Locke to be hit over the head with something large.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet,
I agree.

This is the first time I've actually disliked an entire episode. They made Charlie, Locke, and Claire unsympathetic as characters, and unlikable. I'll give them credit for that, but overall, a disappointing episode.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..
I disliked the episode, but liked that it increased the level of conflict. Although I didn't like the specific turns the characters took, I really like that those turns have made life on the island more complex and more interesting.

Also, with first Michael, then Charlie (and maybe even Locke) going a little nutso-paranoid is anyone else thinking about french woman's expedition? My impression was the "sickness" they all caught was a paranoia bug that made them turn on each other. Do you think the survivors are dividing into alliances? the Locke/Claire axis, the Sawyer/Kate axis, and the Jack/Ana Lucia axis?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
From Locke's perspective, Charlie is using. Charlie keeps lying and lying and lying. Why should anyone believe him when he says he hasn't actually taken it when he's lied about it every step of the way.

Yes, maybe he's seeing things the same way so many others have, but he's a junkie and he's got heroin. The simplest explanation, to Locke and everyone else, is that he's using it.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I so *hurt* for Charlie when everyone looked at him, turned, and walked away after Locke slugged him.

I know he deserved it, what with trying to run off with Aaron. But still... Poor Charlie...

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed with the entire episode. I felt bad for Charlie but then I also felt like he deserved it too, for not telling the truth.

I agree with Senoj and the French Woman's sickness theory, that it's a possibility at least.

Where was Jack when everything was going on with Charlie? It seemed weird since he's usually in the thick of things.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been posted or not...but here it is, I thought it was interesting, especially the maps.

http://lost.cubit.net/

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So.

Are y'all still watching this?

What's happening?

What do y'all think about what's happening lately?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Hi quid.

I'm still watching but I'm a week behind so I'll tape tonight's episode so I can watch them in order. Hopefully I'll be able to be caught up by next week.

You don't get Lost in Sri Lanka (assuming that I'm remembering correctly that's where you are?) do you?

The part of 2 weeks ago that I saw last night was about Syaid (sp?) and how he became the "guy who gets information" using torture. On the island, Rousseau caught/trapped an Other and gave him to Syaid after she shot him with an arrow. So he took the prisoner back to Locke and Jack (as far as I know, they are the only ones who know about him). Jack patched him up and Syaid is locked in the amoury with the prisoner to get him to "tell the truth".

And that's...all I know for know. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We started watching season 1 last week Friday. We finished today. Season 2 isn't available on DVD yet, unless you count the DVD of the first half, which we don't want because we want the whole thing.

No, NOT available on TV here - it would cost too much for the local stations to pay, you see. [Smile] And yes, you remember the location correctly. [Smile]

So. I'm living vicariously through this thread. Well, when I get around to reading it all, that is. [Big Grin]

And it's Sayid. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh.

And we're all seriously addicted. [Big Grin]

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Sayid.

Thanks. We are addicted too (even through the rough patches). Have fun watching, it's a good one.

Have you been watching 24? We just started that one and are in season 2 but it's another that I'd recommend.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, we've seen all of it to the end of season 4. [Big Grin] Waiting for season 5 DVDs to become available here. We have enough DVDs to watch (4400 season 2, X-Files season 4, and the rest after we watch them, Mind Your Language the rest of it, Everybody Loves Raymond, and the 100 or so movies waiting in line...) that we're not completely impatient enough to download.

Um, yeah.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Hi quid.

I'm still watching but I'm a week behind so I'll tape tonight's episode so I can watch them in order.

Last week's episode was a rerun from Season 1. The last original espisode was the one of Sayid torturing the presumed "other."

There was another episode, between Charlie's taking of Aron and Sayid's torture episode, that I don't think made the discussion thread. It was called the Long Con and is about Sawyer. His backstory tells about a con he pulled on a woman he ended up falling for, but then taking all her money anyway. The regular story shows more paranoia as Locke and Jack are at odds (this is increasingly true) and Sawyer takes advantage of the power struggle to acquire some power of his own. How much do you want to know, quid? I could post a full summary (or you could just go here and here).

Tonight's looks to be an original, focusing on Clare's kidnapping (and maybe some of her backstory finally. I don't think we've ever had anything for her, have we?). Next week is another season 1 rerun.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
We had Claire's backstory once, the story of how she got pregnant, wanted to give the baby up for adoption, and was tricked onto the airplane by a psychic who said she absolutely must raise the baby herself. From what I can tell, tonight's flashbacks are from the period when Claire was kidnapped. Finding out what happened while she was gone and how she escaped and things of that nature. Ethan will be back during the flashbacks.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Thanks AR. I'd forgotten, but I got curious so I went back over all the flashbacks from all the episodes. If anyone's interested:
(tallies, Jack = 5, Kate = 4, Charlie = 3, Locke = 3, Sawyer = 3, Sayid = 3, Sun = 2, Michael = 2, Hurley = 2, Claire = 1, Shannon = 1, Boone = 1, Jin = 1, Ana Lucia = 1, Eko = 1)

1.1 (none)
1.2 (none)
1.3 Kate
1.4 Locke
1.5 Jack
1.6 Sun
1.7 Charlie
1.8 Sawyer
1.9 Sayid
1.10 Claire
1.11 Jack
1.12 Kate
1.13 Boone
1.14 Michael
1.15 Charlie
1.16 Sawyer
1.17 Jin
1.18 Hurley
1.19 Locke
1.20 Jack
1.21 Sayid
1.22 Kate
1.23 Multiple (Jack, Sawyer, Kate, Sayid, Shannon, Sun)
1.24 Multiple (Sun, Jin, Charlie, Michael, Hurley)

2.1 Jack
2.2 Michael
2.3 Locke
2.4 Hurley
2.5 Sun
2.6 Shannon
2.7 (none)
2.8 Ana Lucia
2.9 Kate
2.10 Eko
2.11 Jack
2.12 Charlie
2.13 Sawyer
2.14 Sayid

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie's episode mostly bothered me because it was the first time it felt like things were occuring entirely because the writers wanted them to (perhaps to raise conflict levels in the group, which they may feel are getting too nicey-nicey) rather than rising believably out of the characters.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting (and probably only a coincidence) but every Charlie flashback episode is followed by a Sawyer flashback episode.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Actually, the first Charlie episode was followed by Sawyer, Sayid, and Claire. In the second season, it is Charlie, Sawyer, Sayid, and tonight's Claire again. Patterns, yay.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

quote:
quote:Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
Hi quid.

I'm still watching but I'm a week behind so I'll tape tonight's episode so I can watch them in order.

Last week's episode was a rerun from Season 1. The last original espisode was the one of Sayid torturing the presumed "other."

SenojRetep, erm...ya, that's what I meant to write.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler*

I wonder if the young woman who helped Clare escape from the Others is Rousseau's daughter? Since Rousseau then carried Clare back to camp (without seeing the girl), that would mean mother and daughter independantly helped Clare escape despite being separated soon after birth.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, "Beard Guy" (and by implication, the rest of the Others) is really a Dharma Initiative operative of some sort in disguise. Interesting.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who was talking to Ethan looked both like "Zeke" (the head of the Others) and the guy who got Sayid to be a torturer. Does anyone know if it's the same actor in all three cases?

Also, what's with Kate not reacting about Alex? When Jack was confronting Zeke, wasn't Alex the one Zeke called to bring Kate forward?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Lewis
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for Rich Lewis   Email Rich Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually a different actor. Ethan's boss was the head of the Others, but Clancy Brown was the guy who got Sayid to be a torturer.

(Clancy Brown has been in a ton of movies and TV shows like the movie Highlander, ER and Carnivale. He's really a pretty good actor.)

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Lewis
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for Rich Lewis   Email Rich Lewis         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, that's what my wife and I think. The girl who got Claire out of the tunnel had the right hair color and look to be Rousseau's daughter Alexandra, but was she the right age?
Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I thought that beard looked weird, but just assumed it was because it was so bushy.

The guy who was talking to Ethan in the hallway is not the CIA guy that seduced Sayid into the Dark Side.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Rich, I googled some before my post about Alex, and the consensus was that she is old enough. Sayid's calculation of how long the radio transmission was going is only an estimate of 16 years, and could be off.

The girl in the tunnel looked to be 15-20. Hard to tell, she wasn't on screen much.

Incidentally, if you're ever stranded and need to estimate how long some nutty French woman's tape has been transmitting,
#seconds in a year=31536000=approx. pi X 10 million. Just FYI.

zgator
Member # 3833

The way the prisoner got to Locke by asking him why Jack was in charge was to contrived. Based on past episodes, I don't think he should have been able to get under Locke's skin quite that easily.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

zgator, I agree. Making your captors argue is a hackneyed cliche, even moreso than good cop/bad cop.
Although both can work if the person is naive enough.

Maybe Locke was playing a double game by smashing dishes loudly so the prisoner would think he'd been rattled?

I wonder how many seasons this show will go on? I love it, but it's very frustrating.

zgator
Member # 3833

I think he was rattled judging by his expression. I thought initially that it proved the prisoner was an Other, but I suppose anybody could figure out that driving a wedge between your captors is a good thing whether your a bad guy or a good guy.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, that's what I thought too. I was kind of annoyed when Locke smashed the dishes; I wanted to yell at him "Come on, you're smarter than that!" I do hope he is playing a deeper game like Morbo said, or I'm going to be very disappointed in him.

<shallow> I'm glad this was a Claire episode, as it meant lots of close-ups of her. Emilie de Ravin has such gorgeous facial features I could happily just stare at her for hours. </shallow>

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

<shallow back> Stray, I also love her accent. </shallow>

I cheated and watched last night without my husband AND without watching the last half of the Sayid/torture episode. But it was worth it.

I thought this was good episode with Claire and the possibility of Rousseau's daughter. I agree about Locke's cheesy anger management issues though.

starLisa, I didn't get what you were meaning about Kate and Alex (but I also had to miss a couple minutes to help a sad kid). Did Kate see Alex other than if she saw her when she was held captive?

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<shallow> I'm glad this was a Claire episode, as it meant lots of close-ups of her. Emilie de Ravin has such gorgeous facial features I could happily just stare at her for hours. </shallow>
I couldn't agree more [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

SenojRetep, this thread is enough. Especially when combined with TVTome. [Big Grin]

We're seriously seriously adicted. [Big Grin]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

Just thought I'd mention it, since I haven't seen it mentioned here, but the prisoner's name is Henry Gale and he got there by balloon. Henry Gale is the name of the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz, who supposedly travelled there by balloon. I think that proves he is a liar.

--ApostleRadio

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Henry Gale is the name of Dorothy's uncle.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Actually, Henry Gale is not the name of the Wizard in The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy Gale's aunt and uncle were Auntie Em and Uncle Henry. The point is still valid, and I have to say that I'm a little surprised that Locke didn't know that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Lewis:
Morbo, that's what my wife and I think. The girl who got Claire out of the tunnel had the right hair color and look to be Rousseau's daughter Alexandra, but was she the right age?

Sure. Alex should be about 16 years old, right?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
The way the prisoner got to Locke by asking him why Jack was in charge was to contrived. Based on past episodes, I don't think he should have been able to get under Locke's skin quite that easily.

Yeah, but those previous episodes happened before Jack shoved him against a wall and refused to let him enter the numbers. I think Locke has a lot of anger against Jack even without Uncle Henry poking at it.

It's interesting, though. This is the first time Locke has made it clear that he sees himself and Jack as the two leaders of the Losties.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Stray:
zgator, that's what I thought too. I was kind of annoyed when Locke smashed the dishes; I wanted to yell at him "Come on, you're smarter than that!" I do hope he is playing a deeper game like Morbo said, or I'm going to be very disappointed in him.

I can't help it. Every time I see her, I get a little angry. Flashbacks to Tess killing Alex, I guess. I keep thinking, "traitorous, murderous, witch!" (witch with a b, actually).

Too much TV. Definitely.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by sweetbaboo:
starLisa, I didn't get what you were meaning about Kate and Alex (but I also had to miss a couple minutes to help a sad kid). Did Kate see Alex other than if she saw her when she was held captive?

She may not have seen her that well, but she must have known it was a teenaged girl who brought her forward, and Zeke definitely called her Alex. You'd think someone with a fugitive's instinct for survival would have picked up on that.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Did anyone else think that Eko was about to cut his own throat there for a minute?

Also... when Kate and Rousseau were having their little face-off... my first thought was, "Rousseau, don't mess with her. She's a stone killer." Then I realized, "Hey, Rousseau is batty as can be. This could be interesting."

Morbo
Member # 5309

Yes, 16 years was Sayid's calculation based on the looping radio message.
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Also, what's with Kate not reacting about Alex? When Jack was confronting Zeke, wasn't Alex the one Zeke called to bring Kate forward?

Kate never saw Alex in this episode, Alex was only in the flashbacks with Clare (if it was Alex.)

I don't remember who brought Kate forward at the showdown.

Morbo
Member # 5309

I totally thought Eko was toast, especially since he just gave a confession.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

At the showdown, you don't see who brought Kate forward, but Zeke says, "Alex, bring her out." or something like that. Kate says that the bag over her head prevented her from seeing anyone, but yes, you would think that she would remember the name and guess the sex.

It's been a long time since I've seen the wizard of oz, but isn't Uncle Henry played by the same guy who plays the wizard in oz during dorothy's dream? If so, then my point is still valid. And yes, you would think Locke might know that, with his seemingly endless supply of knowledge.

--ApostleRadio

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The name Henry Gale might just be a coincidence... Just like John Locke's name.

Speaking of Locke, when he threw all those dishes around I actually said outloud "NOT REPLACABLE!!!"

They waste far too much on this show... Just like that big jug of mayonaise and when they burned the plane.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.