FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 9)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! So many things to distract me from the essay that is due tomorrow!

This number sequence curse is intriguing and is the first solid proof we've had that something mighty fishy is going on. It's also the first link we've had between the island and the outside world- it seems to be an real earthly island.

The source of the numbers, although linked with the island, is not necessarily the island itself, taking into account the metal hull- that hull could have brought the numbers to the island.

On the other hand, if that was the number of the ship, it could have been lured there by the numbers that are somehow attached to the island.

Can any mathematicians say if it is a recognisable sequence?

Also, I loved the tiny subplot of Locke-Claire. That was very sweet.

Overall an excellent episode. I loved the way the fact that Hurley's life, although horribly tragic, is at the same time comic. It was a very well executed tragi-comic episode! [Big Grin]

Edit:
I decided to re-post the Lost List here, so people don't have to flip around. Here it is:

Reasons for Travelling/ Supernatural Experiences

Jack: Taking the body of his father, who died in Australia, back to the U.S. He had a bad relationship with his father who was an alcaholic.

- Thought he saw a figure of his father standing on the island, in the water, etc.
- His father's coffin, when Jack found it on the island, was empty of his fathers body, but closed and in good condition.

Connections: Sawyer and Jack's father had a brief heart-to-heart in a bar.

John Locke: Traveling back home after being refused a place in a bush trekking party due to his disability (paralysed from waist down).

-Got the use of his legs back when crash landed.
-Is the only person known to have face the Monster and survived.
-Seems to predict things on the island (occurances, weather and direction) very accurately.
-When Locke was a boy, his sister died and his mother was on a steady decline until a Golden Retriever came to the front door, seemingly as a replacement for his sister. When his mother died, the dog left.

Connections: - Worked for the box company owned by Hurley.

Boone/Shannon: Traveling back to the U.S. together after Boone was tricked for the last time by Shannon into going to Australia to pay off an “abusive” boyfriend. He then abandoned her and ran off with the money, so they both traveled back together. Shannon speaks French.

- Boone has experienced a very realistic hallucination in which he witnessed saw his sister's (Shannon's) body grusomely mauled by the monster.
- Boone has encountered the beast. Shannon although she was 'there' was only a hallucination and therefore did not.

Sayid: Unknown

- The first one to have met with Danielle Rousseau, the French Castaway/Scientist. She told him about a “disease” that had claimed her fellow castaways, and the “Black Rock” (later discovered by Hurley to be the site of a radio transmitter tower).

Kate: Arrested for a bank robbery after being in hiding for several months in the Australian outback. Traveling back in handcuffs under the guard of an American Marshall. Has killed the man she loved.

Hurley (Hugo): Drawn to Australia in his search to discover the origin of a sequence of numbers that had enabled him to win the lottery but had cursed him with disaster for everyone and everything around him.

- Hurley’s curse, that of the sequence of numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42), has followed him everywhere. These numbers, being broadcast from the Island, were heard by an old friend of Hurley’s while he served in the army. This same broadcast was what drew Rousseau’s team to the Island and also doomed them. These same numbers were inscribed on the metal hull that Boone and Locke had been uncovering.

Connections: - Seen winning the lottery on TV in Korea in Jin’s flashback.
-Owned the box company for which Locke was working.

Michael/Walt/Vincent: Travelling back to the states together after the death of Walt’s mother.

- Walt seems to be able to think of animals (?) and make them appear, or come to him.
- Michael and Walt have both encountered the beast.

Rose: Unknown, but she was traveling with her husband who she fervently believes is still alive.

Claire: Put on the plane by the psychic who put her on this particular plane when he read in her palm that if she did not raise her baby herself terrible things would happen. She was going to give her child up for adoption.

- The psychic correctly knew that the plane was going to crash.
- Very realistic dreams that seem to be partly real and/or meaningful.

Charlie: Returning from Australia after attempting to regroup his band, Driveshaft, by visiting his brother and his family in Sydney.

- Possibly a supernatural experience: His guitar was found intact in an unlikely coincidence.

Sun/Jin: Jin and Sun were in Sydney together for Jin’s job. He was “delivering watches” for Sun’s father, for whom he worked and they were on their way to deliver more watches to Los Angeles. In America, Jin was going to leave his work (beating and maybe even assassinating people, as well as delivering watches) to start a new life with Sun. Sun was unaware of this fact and so because she was unhappy with Jin was planning to leave him at the airport- instead she got on the doomed flight.

Connections: Hurley was seen on TV in Jin's flashback.

Sawyer (Thanks Geoff!): (possible real name is James?) Unknown for sure. But is a tormented Scam Artist, who murdered the wrong man (he was in Australia to do this murder). He may have been returning to America to exact revenge from the person who misguided him into killing this person.

- Possibly a supernatural experience: Had three encounters with a boar that resulted in him changing slightly.

[ March 03, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was my favorite episode since part II of the pilot.

Hurley's life after winning the lottery managed to be extremely creepy while being just ambiguous enough that I was left with doubt up until the final shot whether or not he was right about an extranormal explanation.

All in all a cool, well done episode.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurley rocks.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Couple connections-- Hurley owns the box company that Locke worked for.

Michael saw Sawyer in the police station.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I notice that Sawyer was reading 'A Wrinkle in Time'.

Somehow I didn't picture that being his kind of book.

Was he reading it just to fight the boredom? Or was it another clue?

(Or was it just the used book the prop people gave the actor?)

[ March 02, 2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Scott, you are SO observant. Wow.

Puffy Treat, that was also really observant to have caught that. I tried to see but I couldn't quite catch the title. I think right now everything is a potential clue.

[ March 02, 2005, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Since 'A Wrinkle in Time' is about among other things a sort of time travel (an explanation as to why no rescue party's come for them? They're 'lost' in time?) and the battle between good and evil it may well be a clue.

Speaking of evil, Hurley's friend from the mental hospital invoked the myth of Pandora's Box when Hurley revealed he'd used the numbers.

A myth about how evil was released into the world.

Hmmmm...

[ March 02, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent episode. Hurley is awesome. Good catch on the name of the book Sawyer was reading, I didn't catch that either. Curiouser and curiouser.

Call me sappy, but I thought the cradle was sweet.

That last shot was so creepy, and so cool.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok can we clear this up at last.

Locke is not a bad guy. He may be making people face their choices and deal with them, but he is not some evil hidden guy waiting for the right moment to strike.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I think he's kind of like Ender as the Speaker for the Dead (guess which book I've just read again). He's frightening and dangerous in many ways, but he's not bad.

Does that make sense?

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to bet that the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 will be played by a lot of people in a lot of lotteries this week? Hell, I might play them. Not because I believe that they're magical, but just because it would be fun. I may just start using those numbers for everything just to see if anything bad happens.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi

You need to update your list. Sayid is not the only person to meet the French lady. Hurley has met her now.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Bother! I can update bits after each episode, but I can never keep up with everything I have previously written. Thanks for pointing it out! [Smile]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we can prove that Boone or Walt & Michael have seen the monster, can we? I presume that whatever Locke gave Boone caused the hallucination. ANd W&M have only seen the polar bears.

I also think the "island" is a red herring.

Or maybe the tip of the iceberg.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R,

Wasn't it Jack that was in the police station looking for his father?

Easily my favorite episode.

I love this show!

added: Thanks to neo-dragon for posting the sequence. I was about to if you hadn't.

[ March 02, 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

- posted      Profile for Billy Joel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Polar Bear and the monster are two seperate things, just to let you guys now.

And yeah, this was my favorite episode, hands down. Hurley cracks me up.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok can we clear this up at last.

Locke is not a bad guy. He may be making people face their choices and deal with them, but he is not some evil hidden guy waiting for the right moment to strike.

I like Locke alot, but I think that he is dead and he is simply a personification of the island.

The only thing that makes me doubt my theory is his lie about Walt and his very human distaste for his own father.

[ March 02, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

Just out of curiosity, how many survivors were there to start out with? And did the french woman say how many people were in her crew?
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the preview last week for this week's episode, someone said it looked very Indiana Jones-esque. And it sort of was, with the booby traps and all. But did you notice that at the beginning, Sawyer called Walt "Short Round?" [Smile] I think they were trying to be Indiana Jones-esque.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, best episode yet. Hurley is great.

"I'm spry!"

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

Ok, 48 people. Scratch that.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Ooo, I wonder if Hurley has the power to open the hatch?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy Joel
Member # 5357

I'm trying to figure out how the numbers relate. We have flight 815, Kate robbed deposit box 815, an SOS going for 16 years, 4 years since the guy (the one who won the jelly beans) heard the number going off (so I'm assuming thats the same time the ship with the french woman heard it, and headed towards it).

The reward for kate was also 23,000.

Jack was in seat 23A

Yeah, ok, so I'm grasping at straws here.

Anything else?

[ March 03, 2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Billy Joel ]

LadyDove
Member # 3000

On another site, it was noted that if you add all the numbers (sort of like the way the Aussy guy guessed the beans in the jar) +156 (Hurley's net worth) you get 48.

4+8+1+5+1+6+2+3+4+2+1+5+6 = 48

Teshi
Member # 5024

Wow, Billy those are really great observations. In general, I'm absolutely stunned with the level of "figuring stuff out".

... Of course, this is Hatrack [Wink] .

I am presently under the belief that Boone was the one who saw Sawyer in the police station, but sicne I didn't see the Michael episode, he could have been seen by others, too.

Billy Joel
Member # 5357

Teshi, LadyDay is Billy, not LadyDove [Smile]
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
It was boone.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I meant Billy Joel (two posts above mine)... is that a pseudonym for Lady Day?

My post was made before LadyDove had posted.

Billy Joel
Member # 5357

Oh duh, I'm still logged in as this. Heh. So much for observations.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

Hi Piano Man-
I just assume that Teshi is talking about you, not me. But thanks for the compliment. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

Everyone is figuring stuff out in a very clever way!

And whoever said 48 wasn't a number in the pattern, it is: 4 and 8. The pattern is obviously highly central to the plot.

[Smile]

Billy Joel
Member # 5357

Has anyone else pointed out theres a Locke and a Rousseau?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw you counting up those numbers on your toes.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
4 8 15 16 23 42

We've got 48 survivors - 4 and 8

Flight 815 and deposit box 815 - 8 and 15

16 years on the island for Rousseau - 16

$23,000 for Kate and Seat 23A for Jack - 23

Anybody got anything for 42 other than it's the answer to the life, the universe and everything?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe 42 characters left alive at the end of this season?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Episode. Ever.

Gawd I love Hurley [Big Grin]

Oh, and it was definitely Boone who saw Sawyer in the police station. And I don't believe Michael and Walt have seen the Invisible Beast, just an OMGWTFPOLARBEAR!

Amazing what you guys are doing with finding connections for the numbers! I'd never be able to see that much detail in the episodes.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurley said at the end he was worth $156 million. That number seems to specific not to mean something, but I can't tie it in with any of the lottery numbers.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

If I were worth more than 100 million, I'd know the exact number.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reminder, Stray. You're right about Boone and Sawyer in the Police Station.

[Wall Bash] I hate that can't keep it all straight.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be so hard on yourself, peterh. It's a lot to keep straight.

Now what about this-- was Hurley a patient at the mental health place? I'm assuming he was, since the Dr. recognized him, or else he worked there. Never saw it explained. But since he really didn't like people telling him he was acting crazy I'd guess he was a patient.

Not sure it's important, but like everyone else, at this point I'm assuming everything is important. Which is why it is getting so hard to keep it all straight!

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

I think he was a patient there. When he was giving his little speech to the TV cameras after he won the lottery, he mentioned having put his family through some rough times recently, so I think that's what he was talking about. And from the way the doctor was talking to him, somehow I don't think he just worked there. So yeah, that would explain why he got pissed at Charlie for repeatedly calling him a nutter.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's cool that whenever we get a glimpse into a character's mysterious past, that glimpse gives us a hint of ANOTHER story that is buried even deeper.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin]
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
If Hurley CAN open the hatch... Given that he is supposed to avoid the numbers, I would guess the result would be bad.... Very bad.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed too that Sawyer was reading A Wrinkle in Time. I just finished that a few weeks ago and my cover is the same so I recognized it. Very interesting choice of books for him.....

I can not wait until the DVD comes out (it is being released isn't it??????) so I can watch the few episodes I missed.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The Lost DVD is due out September...just in time for the start of season two.

[ March 05, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
more Lost Spoilers
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there is a planned 8 season story arc.

Link

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

*bumpitty bump* New episode tonight! [Party]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Gah! Boone!

And that...glow. [Eek!]

*shiver*

Man...next episode is going to be intense.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.