FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The fall Baseball Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The fall Baseball Thread
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, it's almost playoffs time, so time for the annual Hatrack playoffs thread... [Smile]

Hopes/predictions for this year?

I'm a Yankees fan (yeah, I know), so I know the AL best... I'm hoping for the A's to get the Wild Card, think they'd be fun in the Playoffs.

I don't think the Yankees will make it to the World Series this year (or, if they do, don't think they'll win) -- their pitching has been too inconsistent, which doesn't help in a short series... they usually do well in the playoffs, so they might get through the first round, but wouldn't be surprised if Boston or the A's beats them in the 2nd round. (Hope it's Yankees-Boston in the 2nd round though! I wish the Yankees and the Red Sox could play each other in all 162 games...)

Maybe Boston will make it to the World Series this year, they've got a really good team... I know enough Red Sox fans that I feel sorry for, and I'd love to see them go nuts if the Red Sox actually win the World Series [Smile]

NL... I don't know so well... I hope SF wins the West and the Cubs get the Wild Card, since they'd both be fun in the Playoffs... and then there'd be the chance of having a Cubs-Red Sox World Series...

What do y'all think?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
How bout those Mets?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Red sox baby [Smile]

Yankees face the twins, unless the twins end up with a better record then the A's, and the Red Sox get the A's. The A's are easy in a five game series, for the sox, cause their pitching is not what it was. The twins, on the other hand, are SCARY in a five game set... Santana Twice, and Radke Twice. And if there's a better pitcher in baseball right now then Santana, I'll shoot myself in the foot. He's pretty much unhittable.

Should be an interesting first round.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Um..what paul said.

12-5 tonight.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

yeah, dunno why the Yankees didn't bring in Gordon and Rivers in the 8th... unless they were just feeling sorry for the Red Sox for losing the last 3... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
They needed to rest them, and they didn't have a lead. I didn't want to sweep the Sox anyway--we're probably going to face them again in the playoffs, and I don't want them humiliated right now.

I think the Yankees pitching has been significantly improved, and they're in great shape right now. I don't know which Yankees you're watching. [Dont Know]

EDIT to add: I think this is their best team in recent memory, and their best chance to win it all.

[ September 25, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently not the Yankees that you watch in your head.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Four mack. Four. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--, Icky, --I--
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hate to say it, me being an A's fan, the AL West race is far from over. The A's play one more in Anaheim tomorrow, and four more to end the season. In between, they play Seattle, who's enjoying playing the role of spoiler these last couple weeks.

Anaheim plays four against the Rangers next week. And the Rangers aren't playing too badly, either.

If Mulder, Zito and Hudson don't turn it back on, the A's won't even get a shot at the playoffs. If they do, then whoever draws 'em had better be ready for a whoopin'.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] *is a Diamondbacks fan* [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

(((Derrell)))

there, there

Icarus
Member # 3162

pffft. You've won the World Series more recently than we. Sucks to your pity party. [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. I'm a Mets fan. If it weren't for the fact the both the BoSox and the Cubs are even more jinxed than the Mets, we'd have no World Series championships at all.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Your last World Series win was a wonderful one! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man. Mack might kill you for that...
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Not if I get there first *kills Icarus*
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Incidentally...

THis is probably the best yankees team since 2003.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't know which Yankees you're watching."

The same ones we always watch, Ic-man. The ones who can kiss our bee-hinds as we march by on the way to the Series.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Quiet, Paul! They don't NEED an ego boost.

[ September 26, 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

*whispers* thats saying its a bad team this year...
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

*also whispers* Oh, duh. Sorry.
mackillian
Member # 586

*stabs Icky's paul-killed body*
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
The same ones we always watch, Ic-man. The ones who can kiss our bee-hinds as we march by on the way to the Series.
um, is that what's happening? Sheesh. I must be watching different baseball games too.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We are just building the tension, Icarus.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha! That scared him off. He won't be back. Those Yankee fans just can't take the heat...
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, St. Louis Cardinals. No questions. No explanations needed.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

4-0, Icky. 4-0.
mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, look. 7-0.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

What are you saying, Mack? that the Sox are winning? Kicking the very bottoms of the Yankees?

And Mack, do you hear some faint chirping of a very weak, red bird? No? I thought not.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

That chirping from a very weak bird has 100 wins this season.

How many do those Wankees and Red Stockings have? (How tough can a team be that is named after hosiery?)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, this game could get ugly. First baseman (like anyone can spell his name) just got into it with Kenny Lofton for Lofton giving him an elbow to the back as he crossed the first base bag.
mackillian
Member # 586

No tougher than a team named after a flaming bird.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Really. And red is sooo 1960's.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

The cardinals are very good... but they really do not have the pitching for a world series run. WS is normally decided by who has the better pitching, and unless the yankees make it through (which will not happen as the sox will crush them) The Twins, Sox, and A's all have better pitching then the Cardinals.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be the only Braves fan around...

I want this to be their year! I want them to show that even though they had a nasty beginning of the season, they can come back! I mean, they win their division every year, but it's been nine years since they won the Series.

(Oh, and Yankees suck.)

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

11-4...

and it DID get ugly. o_O

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who performed the wedding ceremony for Dan and I used to play for the Montreal Expos.

That's all I've got.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

500 expos fans held a rally to keep the team in Montreal.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Wow--I'm married to Ralphie. [The Wave] [Party]

Oh, wait.

That's a different Dan.

Nevermind.

Icarus
Member # 3162

My condolences to Marlins fans. [Group Hug]
plaid
Member # 2393

Waah, the Cubs are out of it... they just lost too many close games...

And unless the A's win today and tomorrow, they're not gonna make it.

Still hoping that the Giants will get in instead of Houston. It'd be fun to see Bonds again in the postseason.

sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
The Angels just won the West!!!!!!!!!

Vlad Guerrero is a monster. He should get the AL MVP this year (He does not have very stiff competition), but I'm worried they'll give it Ichiro because of the whole hit record thing.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

It won't be Ichiro. I'm not aware that anybody considers him to be in the running. I know a lot of people think it should be Guerrero, but to say he has no competition is not entirely accurate. Gary Sheffield has had a monster season, perhaps his most productive, and this despite a pretty bad shoulder. So has Manny Ramirez, although he plays for a sucky team. Do you live on the west coast? It sounds like you do, because you sound unaware of east coast teams. I know the same thing happens with east coast fans and west coast players.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jays might only lose 30 more games than they win this year! That's a victory of sorts, right?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*stabs joe*
plaid
Member # 2393

... and it's:

Twins vs. Yankees
Angels vs. Red Sox

Astros vs. Braves
Dodgers vs. Cards

Icarus
Member # 3162

Go Angels!

[The Wave]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Go...to bed, Icarus!
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

Paul's Picks-
Twins beat the Yankees, cause Santana beats them twice and teh metrodome will be insane. Yankees don't have much pitching at the moment.

Red Sox and Angels battle it out in five. If Pedro shows up, the Sox win, if he doesn't, the Angels win.

Cards beat the snot out of the Dodgers.

Astros beat the Braves behind Oswalt and Clemens.

Red Sox and Twins, Red Sox as Santana can only pitch 2/7 games.

Cards beat the snot out of the Astros.

And Cards/Red Sox in a rematch from 1967, a match up featuring the two towns considered to be the best baseball towns in the country.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.