FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me get rid of the SMELL please!!!

Author Topic: Help me get rid of the SMELL please!!!
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
So I got home last night to discover that my carpet had been cleaned with what I'm told was pure citrus juice, to get off some paint that had been spilled. The paint came off, well and good. But the citrus is very, very potent, and is invading the entire downstairs. I live downstairs, and I don't like it one bit! I have a headache, and I was feeling nauseous earlier, and I got up before 6am after only sleeping a couple of hours because I couldn't stay down here. I've had the windows open all night, and all morning, even though it's pretty much still winter and I'm cold -- and it's made NO difference. I'm sitting here with a scarf over my nose so my eyes don't water. [Grumble]

Naturally, the guy who did it lives upstairs, and the citrus smell is much weaker up there... although you can certainly still smell it.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to reduce it? Or do I need to move out for a couple of weeks. Any ideas much appreciated, thank you!

[ September 27, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Try baking soda.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they use something like this?

I hope not!

quote:
SECTION IIX – Exposure Controls, Personal Protection
Ventilation: Mechanical ventilation may be necessary at elevated temporaries to control odor.
Respiratory Protection: Organic vapor cartridge may be used to prevent irruption from mists and vapors and for odor elimination.
Skin Protection: Wear chemically resistant rubber gloves and apron (piton, nitride, and or PVC) to minimize exposure.
Eye Protection: Wear chemical safety glasses, goggles, or face shield to prevent eye contact.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

I hope not... he said it was a natural product, but I didn't look at the container, which seems to have disappeared.
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought, for one horrifying moment, that you'd let twinky into your home. Believe me, that smell never comes out.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
HISTORY: Citrus Natural Solvent is a biodegradable solvent occurring in nature as the main component of citrus peel oil. Citrus Solvent’s interesting chemical properties, pleasant citrus aroma, & FDA-GRAS rating ("generally recognized as safe") have earned the product phenomenal acceptance in many diverse chemical applications. Citrus Solvent can be used in its pure form blended with most other solvents & drying oils.

Natural can be very potent.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I'd still keep the windows open. Do you have a fan that you can position in a way to make the air circulate out the window? I'm sure I could have said that better.

A chemical smell or any strong smell in the home is a pet peeve of mine.

I like my air fresh.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine who assured me that the tea he was drinking (it sure looked a lot like a baggy full of pot to me) was natural and organic. I reminded him that a lot of things are natural and organic - like arsenic.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

twinky has been to my house, but I didn't let him inside. [Wink]

Yeah, the windows are open... apparently it didn't have a ventilation warning on the container, but he did have to wear gloves to use it. Hmmmm.

tt&t
Member # 5600

Well, I mostly meant that he said it was a natural, harmless product. That there were no warnings on it, therefore I shouldn't have any trouble. (Or so he claimed when I said that it was really potent last night).

I'm well aware that natural things can be dangerous. [Razz]

[ September 27, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.