FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 14)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, you are cool, chilled even. As in on the slab, ready for your autopsy. How cool is that?!

[Wink]

I wish I had another cannoli right about now.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You spy another cannoli, just sitting there on the plate of that burly guy sitting at the table next to yours. Your lust for one more cannoli overwhelming your good sense, you wait until he glances in the other direction and then grab his. You must have had more to drink than you'd thought though (which would explain this whole cannoli stealing tear you've suddenly gone on), because you overbalance and fall into the guy's table. The table is upset, and you and it go crashing to the floor amidst a shower of cutlery, wineglasses, plates, and all manner of food (the waiter hadn't yet cleared the table from the guy's meal, I'm afraid). Through all of this, all you can focus on is the cannoli. You discover that you crushed it underneath yourself as you fell, but in your frenzied state you aren't about to let that stop you. You grab at the mashed bit of dessert, rubbing some of it into your shirt more deeply, but succeeding in getting a handful of the heavenly stuff, which you proceed to cram into your mouth. Whipped into an an almost feverish lust by the taste of the delicious cannoli (its taste only partly spoiled by the carpet fuzz that you crammed into your mouth along with it) you tear your shirt off and begin sucking on it with abandon, trying to get every last bit of that cannoli.

Dana, still sitting at your table, doesn't seem particularly impressed. Neither does the man who had ordered the cannoli, I'm afraid, but at least he's too stunned by your display to do anything rash.

I wish I hadn't stayed up this late--I need to get more sleep than I have been this week.

[ October 21, 2004, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your wish is granted. You fell asleep hours ago, but Hatrack was deprived of one helluva zany insomnia-induced Noemon style post.

I wish Noemon lots of sleep tonight.

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon sleeps the sleep of the dead. R.I.P. van Winkle has nothing on him, let me tell you. In fact, he sleeps so long he wakes up decomposed and wearing fashions that are horribly out of date. People are repelled and repulsed. But he sure is rested.

I wish I had a flight to MSP tonight.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
granted, but you miss it.

I wish I didn't need to be up at 5:30 on thursdays.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Granted! It's now 4:30 by which you need to be up.

I wish I had a cup of coffee.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Here you are, COFFEE!!! yay. unfortunately, you drinking this coffee mean you're ignoring your doctors warning that too much caffeine will.. not can.. WILL kill you. You're caffeine level is so high that this will be the last coffee you ever have. Enjoy the after life.

I wish to never go to hell.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

granted, hell comes to you!

I wish hell would go away from you.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
granted, hell comes to you!

I wish hell would go to the next poster.

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
granted. but the next poster is me and I already have hell. so, hell goes to YOUR LOVED ONES!.. and.. YOU FORGET HOW TO BREATHE!!! MUAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I wish hell would go to uhm... him. *points*

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

granted, but since you didn't grant his wish correctly(I had hell, not you), you get hell.

I wish hell went away.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish hell went away.
Granted. 'cept now you're homeless.

I wish I had a 35-foot offshore racing boat.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted! And it's right there, offshore, racing away. From you.

I wish I owned my own toy store.

MEC
Member # 2968

granted, but it's an adult toy store, and the town shuts you down.

I wish I had a home now.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted...nice dog house. Too bad you're a weiner dog.

I wish my sinuses would clear up.

MEC
Member # 2968

(at least i'm not a chiwawa)

granted, your sinuses are removed, and you die.

I wish I could grant my own wishes.

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

Granted, you can now grant your own wishes.

I wish MEC could no longer grant his own wishes.

MEC
Member # 2968

granted, I can no longer grant my own wishes, however you failed to twist my wish to grant my own wishes, so I can now grant my own wishes again.

I wish everyone could grant their own wishes.

[ October 22, 2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

MEC
Member # 2968

granted, but now everyone will post post after post in this thread.

Ok, I wish noone could grant their own wishes.

MEC
Member # 2968

granted, but that includes you.

ok, I wish for someone to grant this wish.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Someone grants you wish and with it, every wish of every person who has ever wished. Sadly, this just levels the playing field again and you feel oddly "normal" and just like everyone else.

I wish my entire house was lit by lavalamps.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Now you're so incredibly mellow that nothing ever gets done.

I wish I had today to do over.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, you get it over, but that just puts off the wedding yet another day, and sadly, you're in the universe created by 2004 -1 days and I'm stuck in this other universe that's just plain old 2004.

Drat!

I wish I could be with Dana in 2004 -1.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You were with Dana for all of 2003, and it was a great year. Unfortunately, you've had to spend most of 2004 apart, and 2005 doesn't look much more promising.

I wish that Chocovic chocolate was made from free trade cocoa beans.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

They are, but the price increase for raw materials was so drastic that they had to cut back on the processing -- now instead of mechanical rollers to mash the beans, they hire old toothless women to chew them.

Yum-----meeeeee!!!

I wish I knew what those chocolates were that he was talking about.

Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish Granted. Now you are able to personally taste what this chocolate is like. Just as you swallow, you remember that the mechanical processors are still too expensive to run. [Eek!]

I wish I had more bonsai trees in my collection.

[ October 23, 2004, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Marlozhan ]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, you are surrounded by strangely stunted trees, and some of them are very, very angry.

I wish I had strangely stunted animals to go under the strangely stunted trees.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. And you thought the stunted trees were angry!

I wish there were fewer people in this house!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, they are no longer people. They look like people, but, well, they're just sort of faking it. They are something else and while it creeps you out slightly, you have noticed that they don't mind doing the odd bit of cleaning or dish washing just to fit in.

I wish I knew what my dog is thinking.

Noemon
Member # 1115

And you thought the stunted animals were angry. Someday, when you least expect it, the "Mr. nice dog" routine is going to be dropped, and boy will you be sorry.

I wish that it were 12:04 pm Eastern time, on October 24th 2004.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You jump 3 minutes into the future.
There's no one there. Nothing. A void to be avoided is what it says on the travel brochure. Sadly, you have no obvious way back to the real place and time from whence you came.

I wish to send Noemon a corned beef sandwich on rye, 3 minutes into the future.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob, I liked this game the first time when it was called the Evil Genie Game.

[Razz]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well I'll be hornswoggled! I never did see that earlier thread. Evil genii, you say? How odd that you would retroactively steal the idea for the monkey's paw thread. How very odd indeed.

I wish I'd thought of this first.

[ October 24, 2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
You send Noemon said sandwich, but due to the vagaries of time travel, it stays continually uptime by three minutes, meaning that Noemon never actually receives the sandwich. Kind of a weird reverse Langoliers thingy.

I wish I had enough money to cover my bills and the holidays this year without jeopardizing anything else.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, you've got the money you need to cover the bills and the holidays without jeopardizing anything else. And then you go on a three week bender in Las Vegas and lose it all and you end up doing unspeakable things just to earn bus fare home. You arrive on January 2nd and your kids tell you "it was the best holidays EVER!"

whoa! Beware the monkey's paw. That was harsh!

I wish our government would stop calling for "war on <insert whatever social problem you like here>"

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering how you guys were going to twist that one!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The government decides to stop calling for a war on this or that social problem, and instead begins prosecuting wars on those problems. It decides to start with Poverty. Unfortunately, it sees "the poor" as enemy combatants in the War on Poverty, and so calls out the troops to begin leveling the homes of those suspected of being poor. Given that the majority of enlisted personnel in the US military aren't of the highest socio-economic status, they rightly see this as a war on their friends and family, and so great numbers revolt. The result is a chaotic civil war that sees the use of atomic weapons used by Americans on Americans. The rest of the world takes sides with one faction or another, and is drawn into the conflict. Soon Earth is little more than a dimly glowing ember circling the sun. The few astronauts who happened to be in space when everything went to hell eventually asphyxiate, and with them the last vertibrate creatures perish. Intelligent life does evolve again, many billions of years in the future, but it does so just in time to be fully aware of the horror of being snuffed out by the sun's violent death throws.

Good lord, the Monkey's Paw is getting pretty rough, isn't it?

I wish that the next five Monkey's Paw responses be side splittingly funny.

[ October 24, 2004, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You laugh so hard you break three ribs.

I wish Xavier would post more often than once in three months.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Xavier becomes an almost constant presence on Hatrack. Unfortunately, his posts are restricted entirely to the last post thread.

I wish that I had gotten something worthwhile accomplished over the weekend.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to build a school for orphan girls in Africa.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You do, and orphan girls flock to the building from across the country. It's too bad you didn't hire more experienced help to aid you in building the place, though. In the middle of the day the buiding collapses, killing many of the orphan girls and maiming the rest.

I wish that my natural inclination was to use my time more efficiently.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Done, but you come to the sinking realization of how incredibly inefficient Hatrack is.

I wish I had a sweet, sensitive boyfriend who dotes on me.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You do! And he's definitely sweet. Sickeningly, revoltingly sweet. He attaches himself to you almost like a human lampry, and refuses to let go no matter what you do. You grow increasingly annoyed by his co-dependent clinginess, and find yourself intentionally doing things to try to anger him, to provoke a reaction, to get him to stop smothering you. No matter what you do though, he just hangs on tighter, refusing ever to respond to your lateness, your intentional bitchiness, your flagarantly displayed affairs. You find yourself hating the shrew you have become. You are completely miserable. No one can understand why you're so unhappy, though, when you have such a sweet loving guy by your side.

I wish that I had finished my modifications to the rough draft of the powerpoint presentation I put together for tomorrow's meeting.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*granted* You finished the presentation, and you did such a good job that your presentation is a roaring hit for all that attend. This begins your rise to success. Over the years, you start your own company and end up as the CEO of a billion-dollar company. You enter politics, and get elected as president of the United States. Your are the most beloved president in known memory, and your approval ratings never fall below 80%.

Unforunately, none of this helps fill that ugly void in your heart. You're miserable, and those that really know you are repulsed by you.

History remembers you as a great man, but you die miserable and lonely.

I wish that I could see things are they really are, and cause others to do the same.

[ October 28, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, everyone can see everything as it truly is. Unfortunately, everyone can see YOU for what YOU truly are. They shun you, and you are left with the humiliation of having your true self exposed.

I wish I were a good person.

[ October 28, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So do I. [Razz]

*flees*

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, you are a good person...to avoid. People run from the room at the mere mention of your name.

I wish the monkey's paw thread would stay on the first page all the time.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but Turgen grants all the wishes and we all FORGET HOW TO BREATHE AND DIE.

I wish the sun would come out.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted, and we are all happy living under a gay sun.

I wish that people would keep their opinions to themselves.

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.