FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 18)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! You could play guitar. You were a virtuoso. You also owed money to the wrong people, and to teach you a lesson they broke every bone in your hands. So, no more guitar. Because I'm a benevolent genie, though, I'll give you a freebie--now that you don't have to spend so much time practicing your guitar, you've had time to get really good at the kazoo.

My wish from above still stands.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted; you're now allowed to telecommute. Unfortunately, under the new arrangement, you must be visible on webcam at least 6 hours out of the day. Should you fail to do this, you will be asked to wear a dress and a wig while at work and visible on the webcam. Should you fail to do this, you'll be fired.

I wish I had already written my dissertation.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but you DID write your dissertation. You were about to print out the whole thing when your hard drive went kerflooie, and you lost all your precious work. Back up copies? Oops!

I wish my fingernails were prettier.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
They're so pretty, an art-afficionado gang rips them off and rushes them away to their private museum. And each time they regrow, they do the same.

I wish I had a nice, cool glass of iced tea.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You do! Unfortunately, that's because it's just been poured down your pants.

I wish none of the cars in my household would ever break down again.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! This ends your relationship with your auto mechanic, who was slated by Fate to be your True Love. You were to have fallen into the most inspiring example of love for your generation, spawning songs and movies that, by its sparkling purity, brought fighting couples to reconciliation, new lovers to deeper commitment, and joy to many, many children. The love between you and your mechanic was to be the first link in a long chain that would have resulted in World Peace. Instead, by your perfect cars, your auto mechanic died of a broken heart and a violent, loveless world went on for another generation of hopelessness.

I wish for Peace on Earth, Good Will toward Men.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Granted! Unfortunately, for this to happen, Megan must get together with her mechanic. Therefore, your granting of her wish is reversed and you must commit seppuku to retain your honor.

I wish I had prettier Sharpies.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You have the prettiest Shar Peis around -- they've been totally facelifted and botoxed and their wrinkles are unwrinkled. Unfortunately, the Society for the Protection of Shar Peis brings you up on charges of defacing the face of the Shar Pei.

I wish I had a nice bowl of warm tapioca pudding.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poof! You do. Of course, it's milchig (dairy), and you just had fleishig (meat). You wait six hours, right? It won't be all that warm then. And it will have a skin too.

Enjoy!

I wish it would stop raining now, and not start again for a week.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay! Worldwide, the rain stops for the entire week. Clouds waddle around the skies getting fuller and heavier, darker and ponderous. They slowly congregate over the area of Southern California and hang for days. Then... KABLAM!!! A week's worth of rain for the whole world comes down on LA and Orange County in one day.

I wish I had a '58 Thunderbird.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Poof, you have 1958 Thunderbird. Like the oenophile you are, you screw off the cap and take a hearty wiff. The wine has turned on you in a way only cheap rotgut can. Your liver revolts and takes up residence in a nearby rock star for safe keeping.

I wish had a nice curvy road and another hour's daylight to go riding.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
A 58 foot bird arrives in your garden and farts repeatedly and loudly, sounding errily like thunder. This petrifies your childen, cats and dogs and leads to mayhem in the house for an entire 24 hours.

I wish for a kinder tougue, a softer hear, a prettier soul and a bag of nachos.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, unfortunately, the genie is confused utterly by your spelling and you get a kindly tug, you go partially deaf, a nice set of leather soles on your favorite loafers, and a big gloppy mess of tortillas, beans, melted cheese, sour cream and guacamole. In a bag.

I still want a nice curvy road and another hour's daylight in which to go for a ride.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob [ROFL]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Damn my inability to spell ... or more ot the point proof read!

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

You're given a beautiful curvy road in Nice, France but the hour's daylight in the US. So close and yet so far, the agony is unbearable.

I wish to be able to spell and proof read.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You are now a copy of Word Perfect for Windows.

I wish those danged kids would stop setting off fireworks!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

They're done with the fireworks. Does your renter's insurance cover damage done by Molotov cocktails?

I wish I had gotten more sleep last night.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You did, and slept through today. It was all a dream. A boring and utterly routine dream.

I wish I could eat sugar without having to pee 6x during the night afterwards.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Poof, you have 1958 Thunderbird. Like the oenophile you are, you screw off the cap and take a hearty wiff. The wine has turned on you in a way only cheap rotgut can. Your liver revolts and takes up residence in a nearby rock star for safe keeping.
Bob, this is the funniest response I've read on this thread since it was revived. Hands down.

Just so you know.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks ...mon.

[Big Grin]

I kind of liked it too.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. You can now eat sugar without having to pee six times a night. It is the six episodes of explosive diarrhea in the night that is now disturbing your rest.

Bob, do you have diabetes? If you haven't already been, I wish you'd get tested.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Bob gets tested for diabetes. Turns out he doesn't have it, but they also run a few other little tests and--guess what?--you've got syphilis, the plague, and an embarassing rash.

I wish my iPod had unlimited battery life.

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, now if only you could find a pair of headphones.

I wish I had a puppy.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Unfortunately, your human significant other has several questions for you... and your new puppy-child.

I wish it were tomorrow night.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Unfortunately, it's also _tommorow's_ tommorow night, and tomorrow's, and... Oops, out of time.

I wish I was truly great at swing-dancing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You're a monkey. You swing. You dance. It's great!

I wish my bills paid themselves.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK! They paid themselves. They just didn't pay the power company, the phone company, the credit card company, the mortgage company...

I wish my desk at work had a rocking chair instead of a regular chair.

Sterling
Member # 8096

Granted. Your new chair rocks out with 10,000 decibels of the most rockin' out eighties power-rock hits! Duuuude!

I wish I had the good sense to let sleeping dogs lie.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

You filled with the irrational urge to poke all dogs that you see ... including the rather fearsom dobberman under my desk that promptly savages you.

I wish I wasn't so easily distracted from my work.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Granted. You're now utterly focused on your work. So focused, in fact, that you forget everything else in your life. I hope you really, really love your job.

I wish I had a cup of nice, hot, Starbucks coffee right now.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Poof! You do. But everyone who has ever loaned you money happens by at just that moment and they realize that if you've got the bucks for Starbucks, then you have the bucks to pay them back. Too bad about your knee caps.

I wish that artificial sweeteners didn't taste so artificial.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK! They taste delicious and natural. So wonderful, in fact, that you consume far too much of them, realizing only years later that over consumption of artificial sweeteners has the unfortunate effect of causing something serious. And you spend the rest of your days hideously compromised by your serious condition.

I wish there were a sure-fire cure for Bob's serious condition.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
GRANTED! Along with your wish, this Genie takes the liberty of curing everything from tennis elbow to AIDS as well. She also takes care of the pesky problem of pain and suffering and evil. In djinn-generated peace, a utopia the sort of which only dreamy eyed authors could conceive is established. That is until God notices and in a fit of pique wipes out the universe.

I wish I had enough will power to work out regularly.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but now your boss and coworkers are wondering why you keep having your desk moved outside everyday... especially with all these pesky hurricanes. The boss decides not to fire you, but to have you committed to the psych ward as it is more humane than allowing you to continue working in such weather.

I wish I were a member of the Voices of Liberty at EPCOT (at Disney World).

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Granted! Unfortunately, they don't give anyone the day off for the latest hurricane...

I wish my metabolism was a little faster.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It is a little faster...than a tortoise's. You are barely moving!

I wish someone would make me some brownies.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Poof! hundreds of little girls in brown uniforms suddenly appear in the space you so recently occupied. They spend your remaining days learning kitschy songs and hoping to grow up so they can sell cookies to strangers.

I wish it had stayed above 55 degrees while we rode home on the motorcycle today. <brrrr>

Noemon
Member # 1115

It, your bike, does indeed stay above 55° North the entire way home. In order to accomplish this feat, the North American tectonic plate is forced to crack into many pieces, with the chunk on which your path and your home reside moving violently northward. It finally settles down at 66°33' North, which is well above 55°. Still pretty chilly, though. Or it will be once the lava flows that were unleashed when the plate broke up cool down.

I wish that an affordable over the counter drug without side effects existed that could cancel the effects of caffeine in one's system.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Done! The Drug is a huge success in 99.99999% of cases--Flaming Kidneystones are such a unlikely side effect, but the odds were with you. [Frown]

I wish I had a fabulous broadway voice and dance skills.

[ October 23, 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. Unfortunately for you, no one will ever know it, due to your massive stage fright.

I wish I knew just what to wish for.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You know exactly what to wish for! You wish for it, and your wish is so perfect, and so perfectly worded, that no one on Hatrack can come up with a way to twist it. As a result, you kill this thread.

I wish I had 20/20 vision.

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! You now have 20/20 vision. Unfortunately, you've gone insane and all you can see are the spiders crawling all over your body. You constantly try to scratch them off and are left with bloody stumps for fingers. Have fun with that!

I wish I was a little bit taller...

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You are a little bit taller -- than the Statue of Liberty. Good luck finding clothing that fits. She seems to be wearing a sheet or something.

I wish my brother-in-law wasn't so supercilious.

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, he is no longer supercilious. He is just ordinary cilious.

I wish I had a cellphone.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Granted! Here is your Firefly. Unfortunately for you, it has been set so that you may only call and receive calls from 5 people. And you had been avoiding them all . . .

I wish I was done assembling furniture. [Razz]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted -- one cellphone! Not granted: cellphone reception, adequately charged battery, calls from anyone you actually want to talk to.

I wish that wishes really do come true.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka: Granted. You've just finished assembling your last piece of furniture, your coffin. Time to get in!

Tante: Granted. All of the horrible wish fulfillments from this entire thread come true, ruining the lives of every hatracker who posted here. And it's all your fault.

I wish that Jack Thompson would just shut up already.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted: Jack Thompson takes a vow of silence, but you are now appointed his personal mouthpiece for life.

I wish I didn't have so much homework.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

- posted      Profile for Pariah   Email Pariah         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, they kicked you out of school and now you never have to do homework again! Oh and don't worry about trying to make it to the bank on time to cash a paycheck 'cause oddly enough that's been taken care of too!

I wish I had a really cool title.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.