FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 20)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
The dwarves did all that damage your your house just by adding a new cable outlet for your computer?

No, she didnt think that was funny at all actually.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish krynn didn't keep getting "Monkey's Paw" confused with "Begging the Question". They are really not at all alike.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Of course, by giving krynn a lobotomy with a soup spoon you've also given yourself a free ride to Rikers Island. Enjoy life imprisonment.

I wish fried foods were good for your health.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! They are good for MY health. You, however, still can't eat them.

I wish my office were kept at a comfortable temperature.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You got it. It has, however, been transplanted to the surface of Venus, which makes the commute slightly less pleasant.

I wish it would rain. La la la la la lalalala.

[ November 01, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: El JT de Spang ]

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

sorry tante, i really enjoy both threads and usually post around 6 in the morning right when i get up and am putting clothes in the dryer so i have something warm when i get out of the shower. bleh.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

granted, but then it starts to hail too and your car is severly dented and windshield is smashed.

i wish i had a PhD in playing video games and made 6 figures a year.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but then after the first year, they make you sign a noncompete contract and then lay you off, replacing you with a kid straight out of college.

I wish I could get a day job and be home in the evenings with my kids.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Okaaay, but your new job is disimpacting elephant bowels at the zoo, and when you get home you smell so bad your kids won't come near you.

I wish alcohol made you smarter.

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. However on the day that this happens right before you can take that first sip a knock comes on the door. With a sigh you set down your drink and open the door. Standing on the other side are two young men wearing dark suits and nametags. One of them reads Elder Anderson, the other reads Elder Cluff. They share a message with you about Jesus Christ and his church. They also tell you about how they have a prophet today and impart many glorious truths to you. The message touches your heart and you say you want to be baptised. They agree and you forever more abstain from alcohol.

I wish I could buy Star Wars Battlefront 2 which came out today. (yes I'm a geek)

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, go ahead and buy it. [Roll Eyes]

I wish I could come up with a better wish than this one.

Pariah
Member # 8773

- posted      Profile for Pariah   Email Pariah         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted you now have the ability to think of a better wish, but the process drains you so much that you'll never get to post it.

I wish that for the next 3 weeks 2+2=5

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Granted, of course by the new math '3' has been replaced by '2' and '3 weeks from now' is undetermined.

I wish George Lucas had gotten another director for the Star Wars prequels.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. He decided to go with the director that beat him out for best picture when the original movie was released. Yes, Woody Allen directed all three of the prequels. He wasn't happy with the source material, however, and he...well, he changed things. A bit.

Okay, a lot. The true prequels to the original Star Wars trilogy are acually Sweet and Lowdown, Small Time Crooks, and The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.

Lucas felt that these movies didn't hew closely enough to the Star Wars canon, so he went ahead and made the three movies that are commonly thought of as "the Star Wars prequels". For purists like you, though, there will always be the Woody Allen films to console yourself with.

I wish that I had had just exactly the right number of trick or treaters last night to take all of my candy--no kids going away empty handed, and now candy left in my bowl.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

granted, but tonight you have thirty more kids coming to get more candy.

I wish money really did grow on trees.

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, too bad you live on easter island (where there are no trees.) However the good news is that that is the only place in the world where the financial economy does not immediately crash.

I wish I could pass all of my classes this semester with a 4.o

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Unfortunately, this term your school is experimenting with a new grading system, and a 16.0 is a straight 'A' average.

(Remind me to tell you about how I went to college the year they decided to move from a trimester to a semester system, and launch an entirely new core curriculum as well. Or better yet, don't.)

I wish our telephones didn't interfere with our network.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but they sure do sound tinny and you have to keep the string between phones really, really tight in order to hear anything.

I wish I knew the future.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Hi, my name's Krista.

I wish I were never tired but could still sleep whenever I wanted to.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avery Good Schreibner
Member # 8772

- posted      Profile for Avery Good Schreibner           Edit/Delete Post 
*Ping* Granted. Here's a sleeping pill. Place it on your forehead. Here's a hammer. Now, drive the pill directly into your frontal lobes. You'll sleep like a babe.

I wish the moon were made of cheese.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

Granted the moon is made of cheese now. Of course Now that the moon is made of cheese it can not withstand the gravitational pull of the earth, it breaks apart and splats down right beside your home covering everything in a 20 mile radius in nasty millenia old space cheese, that slightly melted in the atmosphere!

I wish I could write the worlds greatest most original story, that everyone will love.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! The only problem with this request is that great original stories are so progressive for their time that it takes a generation for everyone to evolve enough to truly appreciate and love them. As a result, you acheive limited acclaim in your lifetime and die penniless, believing your masterwork was a dismal failure.

I wish there were three more hours in the day.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK! Granted. Tomorrow will have only 21 hours, to compensate.

I wish the shoelaces on my winter boots wouldn't keep coming untied -- I can't retie them with my gloves on.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

OK, but now your gloves have laces.

I wish George Bush was smarter than he currently is.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. And what I thing to wish. Now George Bush is very, very intelligent and very very manipulative. He's a political genius. He pulls the strings of the world like a master puppeteer. Soon, the entire world is ruled directly by the American government, and no one can really figure out how it happened. On top of that G.B. is democratcially elected Emperor for Life with an overwhelming majority of the world's people.

There's nothing you can do. George Bush is just always one step ahead of you.

I wish I was doing better in my classes.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You are! And as long as you don't ever give over the negatives, you should graduate with honors.

I wish I'd gotten the motorcycle out tonight.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Time reverses, and you make the choice you wished. The motorcycle breaks down on a nice long stretch of country road that would have been sheer pleasure to ride. No one seems to be coming by either, so you can't hitch a ride into town. And it happens that this is a dead spot for your cell phone, so you can't even call Dana to come rescue you. The moon rises overhead as you slowly walk back to civilization.

I wish the research I have to do was all done.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Well, since you didn't specify...ALL the research is done, for all time. It's over. We've learned everything we can possibly learn. And darn it all, we still don't know enough. Scientists are totally depressed being out of work and horribly unsuited for any other profession. They take over the world out of sheer boredom, and blow it up so they can start over.

I wish I had surround sound.

Sterling
Member # 8096

Ooh. Be careful when you comb your hair, you'll hurt those extra ears. And you don't want to know where your subwoofer is.

I wish my hair didn't tangle itself in knots!

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

Granted! Your hair just all fell out in a nice straight pile on the floor, No more knots for you huh?

I wish my watch would stop breaking!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Having deteriorated beyond the point of no return, your watch has indeed ceased to break and now must simply be called "broken."

I wish I had some coffee.

Noemon
Member # 1115

With a satisfied sigh, you take a sip from your cup of coffee. It is startlingly good--quite possibly the best coffee you've ever had. "Hey, this genie's alright!" you say to yourself as you place the mug on your desk. Well, you think, to work! You pull your keyboard forward, preparing to type something, but the corner of it knocks the cup. Your keyboard, desk, shirt, and your lap are all doused with hot coffee. You clean up as best you can, wincing at the burns the coffee left on your chest, stomach and crotch, and change into something clean and dry. With a sigh you sit back down at your desk and pull open the pencil drawer to get something to write with. Unfortunately, the pencil drawer was pretty much filled with coffee in the spill, unbeknownst to you. It's cold now, so the sliver lining here is that your burns don't get any worse as the coffee slops out of the drawer and into your lap*

*Yes, this is fairly closely based on something that happened to me a few months back.

I wish that I were allowed to visit Sakeriver from work.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
You get fired from your job, get a job as a saki taster at Nobu and hence are allowed to visit sakeriver (.co.uk) as much as you like.

I wish I had a magic carpet!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Congratulations! You are the proud owner of one magic carpet. The carpet is imbued with a dweomer that causes all those who look at it to feel sick to their stomachs. Gazing at it for more than a few seconds can actually induce vomiting.

I wish that humanity would colonize the moon and Mars.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, they are now colonized-- with clones of Rush Limbaugh and Martha Stewart.

I wish I weren't so cold.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Too slow!

Granted. You turned up the heat and now have a shockingly huge heating bill for the month.

I wish I weren't sick.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh man, ANOTHER dead body. This plague is really getting to be a pain, y'know? Oh well, at least the poor thing isn't suffering anymore.

I wish I'd understood Brinestone's first (pre-edit) post.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You are granted the ability to understand the invisible and obscure. It is the normal day-to-day stuff that leaves you baffled.

I wish I was not lactose-intolerant.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Unfortunately, you're now allergic to calcium.

I wish I had whatever I needed when I needed it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
After twenty or so odd years of receiving everything you need as you need it, you realize that you're completely satisfied and for the first time ever, against all conceivable odds and logic, you need absolutely nothing. Sadly, all of creation instantly winks out of existence. sorry.

I wish I had a pygmy marmoset for a pet.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Too bad it's illegal to keep them as pets. Have fun in jail. Maybe you can nickname your cellmate "Pygmy."

I wish my eye would stop bothering me so I could put in contacts.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fine!" your eye says in a huff, "I never knew I was such a pest. If that's how you feel about it I'll leave right now and never bother you again!" Your other eye chimes in "If she's leaving, then I'm going to!" Your eyes pack their bags and storm off, and you never see them again.

I wish I wasn't so far behind on NaNoWriMo.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
you never see them again.

Oh, golly, that's awfully funny.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:

I wish I wasn't so far behind on NaNoWriMo.

Granted. You have been assiduously, scrupulously writing, and have completed your novel well ahead of time. However, you have neglected your bill paying, job, family and friends. Since your rent was late, the landlord evicted you. Since you didn't show up for work, you were fired. And your family and friends, feeling abandoned by you, have no help for you at all. You roam the streets, like Kilgore Trout, homeless, penniless, raggedy, but with novels of incomparable genius trailing pages out of your raggedy bags.

I wish I had listened to my mother all those many years ago.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

You did. Of course, she didn't make much sense at that point in her life, so you spend 10 years roaming the country looking for "that flying broom" for her.

I wish I'd eaten more for breakfast.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You were so hungry you ate everything in sight - including that month-old salsa. Now you're so sick you'll be on a liquid diet for a week.

I wish I could control my sleep schedule better.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Your control of your sleep schedule is so perfect that you can decide to immediately fall asleep for nine hours or one, and will wake up at the end of the appointed time without an alarm or having someone wake you. Unfortunately, this perfect control prevents you from ever reaching the levels of deep sleep needed for genuine rest.

I wish my daughter occasionally wanted to watch something other than Dr. Seuss television specials over and over again...

sillygoose
Member # 1616

- posted      Profile for sillygoose   Email sillygoose         Edit/Delete Post 
Your daughter decides to take an interest in Barney and Teletubbies and watches them 24/7

I wish I didn't have so much homework.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poof! No more homework. You have graduated -- congrats! Now you take home a huge briefcase full of work instead.

I wish I could find a carpool to get my kids to school.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You find the perfect carpool. Unfortunately, they all want to borrow your keys. And none of them have licenses.

I wish I had the 1000th reply

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.