FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » E-mail etiquette

Author Topic: E-mail etiquette
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it very amusing that one of the greatest profeessionals in our company, a man who gets paid almost as much a day as I during the whole month, has his e-mail address on yahoo. He is not employed by our company, he has his own enterprise, and so I understand he doesn't have our company mail. But I suppose he could spare some of his money to get a non-yahoo e-mail addy, right?

[ September 30, 2004, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Kama -- he may have several different e-mail addresses, and just uses that one to communicate with your company? I mean, it's a possibility.

I have five different addresses (and I'm not important) and I use them for different stuff -- like hotmail is for junk stuff or for anything I "sign up" for online. Gmail I have been keeping strictly for Hatrack communications, my work address through my company, my Yahoo address (which I rarely use) and my home e-mail address.

Some people use multiple accounts in order to "sort" mail.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I do the same thing, Farmgirl. Hotmail for junk, yahoo for business outside my job, gmail for Hatrackers, and work e-mail for work stuff. I just need one more to complement my role as International Woman of Mystery.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

No, it's this e-mail to communicate with all companies. It's his actual work e-mail.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he a contractor - I mean, does he work for only your company, or does he work for several?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Only ours, at the moment.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
kat@internationalwomenofmysteryempoweredtogether.com

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Perhaps he just likes it because he can get to it from anywhere -- from any machine or any location.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Maybe. Doesn't it strike you as odd, though?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah, it does. I mean, it seems.....almost unprofessional. But I can't really put my finger on just why.

FG

Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm weird. I have only one e-mail address. It's been the same since 1997, when I first entered Internet.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I know of several people that have used free accounts for work. In fact, I also know of several organizations that use free accounts as their email, but they're also thrid-world non-profits that don't necessarily have the money for a paid account.

The strangest case of this for me is the U.S. Ambassador to Brazil, she uses a hotmail account. It's printed on her business cards and everything...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I only use my yahoo account. I have one for the university but I get it forwarded to yahoo. I really like the format of yahoo, it's what I've had since I first used the internet, and I don't feel like getting used to another.

Granted, I'm a poor college student, not a rich businessman; but I'm betting he just likes his yahoo account.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
The strangest case of this for me is the U.S. Ambassador to Brazil, she uses a hotmail account. It's printed on her business cards and everything...
That is weird, seeing as how some SPAM filters basically knock out anything that is from hotmail, unless it has been deliberately put on a white list.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.