FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hygiene Product Humor/Rant (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hygiene Product Humor/Rant
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I started when I was ten, too. Nobody ever really acted as though it was a problem, though. Well, this one girl a few years older than me was upset because I had started and she hadn't, but no one ever said anything to me about it, other than that. My mom was 8 or 9 when she started, so no one in my family thought it was weird.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we determined that an alarming percentage of Hatrack females had coordinated schedules
Since pheromones don't travel the Internet, I wonder why that might be...

• Frisco's presence at Kamacon triggered simultaneous ovulation.
  • Many women take the pill in sync with lunar phases
  • PMS-induced evil comes across in posts, triggering a chain reaction
  • At any given moment, one-quarter of all women are experiencing the menses (shudder)...

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like an appropriate place to mention that my brother discovered my tampons when he was about ten. He thought they made great torpedos for his GI Joe Men. He would shoot them over the backseat of the car screaming, "Bombs away!"

Of course, we tease him about that everytime he goes to buy his wife tampons.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
lma, I'm right there with you...I started at 9, and it ended being this HUGE secret for me for 5th and 6th grade. I didn't have many friends, so it wasn't really something I discussed with a lot of people. However, I heard enough conversations around me to know that I was pretty much the only one of my age who started that early.

Oh, and this is very random, but not only did I start that early, I've also been regular from that time til I went on the pill. My cycle was 28 days, every single time. Now...it varies. Silly hormones [Razz]

[ October 05, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not regular at all and I never have been. I also quit keeping track. The only way I know I'm about to start is from getting sick and breaking out.

My major problem is I'm a heavy bleeder. I feel like I live in the bathroom changing pads when I'm on my period.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I thought that I had heard quite a few euphemisms for female genitalia, but that is the first time I've ever heard "gorilla salad."

---------------------

quote:
Actually, I don't think a guy buying feminine products should be embarrassed at all. You know what it means? It means that he in a relationship where there is enough trust that he is willing to do this mission, which means that (1) he's getting sex on a regular basis, and (2) they have mastered the art of birth control. It should be a badge of HONOR. Yay for him!
Um, no, it doesn't necessarily mean that.

Personally, I'm not embarassed at all to buy feminine articles for Juliette--I think she would be more weirded out about it than I would--but I do worry whether I'm getting the right thing. Underwear and bras are OK, but they have pretty easy attributes to remember. The last time I went to buy Juliette a pair of tights, on the other hand, I had to stand in front of the display for about twenty minutes looking for the right ones, and I think I even ended up having to call her.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxy, what else would it mean? Pantyhose may be sketchy, but he definitely not buying the feminine products for himself.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that he's buying them to use as torpedos [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I started at 9!! yes, 9, and that wasn't unusual for my family, but we have quite a record for terrible problems in that area. For three generations every woman in my family has been diagnosed with endometriosis, three of us have been confirmed as having PCOS and all of us have had to have a hysterectomy before the age of 31. I was the oldest, I had mine at 30. My cousin was the youngest at 23, she fortunately had two children before her problems were so bad she needed the surgery.

I am thrilled that my daughter is nearly 12, and nothing yet. I'm hoping she will not have the same problems that so many of us did.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
It's possible that he's buying them to use as torpedos
[ROFL]

Forget Eddie's nerf gun - this is the game at the next con.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
Saxy, what else would it mean? Pantyhose may be sketchy, but he definitely not buying the feminine products for himself.
I didn't mean that buying tampons implies that a man is using them himself, merely that it doesn't necessarily imply anything about the frequency with which he has sex or the level of proficiency he or his significant other have with birth control.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Katie, I'm SHOCKED!

[Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
they did this at pep ralliess at my high school, the boys shot tampons across the football field (less painful for the principal than the time he got hit with a water bottle, but maybe a little bit more embarrassing).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Forget Eddie's nerf gun - this is the game at the next con.
I am so not sticking one of those to my head!
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose I'm required to chime in seeing how in about 13 years or so I'm going to have a minimum of 4 females in my household all in cycle. [Eek!]

I knew a soccer coach who swore that tampons were the best things for bloody noses. I suppose they are, since there designed for soaking up blood.

Any way, it's quite humerous (at the time) to see a teen age boy with half a tampon sticking out his nose at a public event. [Evil Laugh]

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
the level of proficiency he or his significant other have with birth control.
Well, she's not pregnant. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*vaguely remembers drunk engineers using pantyhose as part of a slingshot to chuck things off the top of one of the engineering buildings to see if they could hit the law school*
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, she's not pregnant. [Smile]
Probably.

I'm still waiting on this.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
my mom had told me for years that a maxipad would be a good thing to use for a cut - in an emergency.

So, on Aug. 7, Cayla (8) cut her finger badly. She was trying to cut a popsicle stick lengthwise with a chef's knife. (She no longer will attempt this or similar feats)

Anyway, she cut her finger pretty badly and we knew she needed stitches. When she screamed, Kent ran over and grabbed her finger and held it so she wouldn't be bleeding all over the place. I was trying to figure out how we were going to get her to the hospital. Kent was already holding her finger - if he let go, she would start bleeding. I couldn't figure out how to get them into the car so we could drive to the ER.

So, I grabbed a maxipad ... Nope. Actually, I called 911 and an ambulance came and took her and we drove to the hospital. It wasn't until we were leaving the hospital 1 1/2 hours later that the lightbulb went off over my head. Duh! I could have and should have grabbed a maxipad. Then Kent could have driven us, saving Cayla the experience of her first ambulance ride.

I hope next time I am thinking a little more clearly. It was a revelation about my ability to deal with a crisis. I didn't get hysterical or anything, but I did forget a bit of advice I had known for more than 20 years.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that you did call 911. Doing anything, even if it's not in hindsight the best thing, in an emergency is far better than the helpless feeling of total paralysis many people experience.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
Well, she's not pregnant.
Probably, but that could just as easily mean that they have no sex at all. Or just that they have it very infrequently and manage to beat the odds.
katharina
Member # 827

Would it make you feel better if I put "most likely, probably, except for those loveless relationships and weird pregnancies where the woman still menstruate" at the beginning? [Razz]

[ October 06, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Don't forget the people with erectile dysfunction.
katharina
Member # 827

And the guy who buys them because they work so well for nosebleeds.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Or for his sister, mother, neighbor lady with a broken leg that he runs errands for . . .
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

But taken as a whole, the exceptions added together <enter disclaimer word here> wouldn't equal the frequency of the first scenario.
saxon75
Member # 4589

I disagree, but since neither of us have any real way of knowing I guess we'll just have to leave it at that.
dkw
Member # 3264

I agree with Saxon that the purchase doesn’t necessarily imply anything about the man’s sex life. But it does (in most cases, I think) indicate both that he is in some sort of close relationship with a woman and that he is generous enough and/or secure enough to run the errand. Which is a good thing, whether or not he’s sleeping with the woman in question.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Given how much most guys gripe when they have to buy feminine items for their wives/girlfriends/sisters/moms/etc, I'm having a hard time seeing that one, too.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
CaySedai, if there's any doubt, it's always better to call the ambulance rather than to risk a trip to the hospital. That is, you lose nothing by calling an ambulance other than a little more money.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Although, the paramedics will grouse about you. [Wink]

"Serious run?"

"Heck no. Cut on a finger. Why they didn't put a maxi pad on it and drive to the hospital is beyond me. People must think we have nothing to do here.

Deal me in."

[Evil]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong thread.

[ October 06, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....

1) Your link doesn't work.
2) What does that have to do with this thread?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
"gorilla salad"

*gags and throws up*

I can't get that phrase out of my head. Ahhhhhhh!

[Angst]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

quote:
Although, the paramedics will grouse about you. [Wink]

"Serious run?"

"Heck no. Cut on a finger. Why they didn't put a maxi pad on it and drive to the hospital is beyond me. People must think we have nothing to do here.

Deal me in."

[ROFL]

Belle, thank you! I am laughing and trying not to wake everyone up. That was great!

For anyone who is curious and not easily squicked out, here is a picture of Cayla's finger after the stitches were removed. I do think we could have driven to the hospital if I had thought of it. And there's Mother's Guilt over sending my baby in an ambulance without any family (they didn't allow me to ride with her) to go with.

Kent passed the ambulance on the way there - they were traveling the speed limit ... [No No]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

and, actually, I was going to post that I posted the link to the rant on another forum and someone replied that after reading it her period started ... and she blames me ... [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Wall Bash]
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this was linked to today, I am just going to say how grateful I am to those who invented the pill. Otherwise, almost a third of my vacation would have been miserable.

[ October 18, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, my honeymoon would have been miserable if not for the pill. Yay the pill!!!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Well, probably for different reasons [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to do this for my wife once, but she wasn't very specific. Do you women realize how many choices you have in this area? I just stood there in the aisle paralyzed.

I came home with beer instead.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

The worst part about the multitude of choices is that they keep changing the names and packaging. There used to be “light” “regular” and “super.” Then light became “regular” regular became “super” and super became “ultra.” Long is now “extra long” and extra long is “overnight.” For awhile they were coding them with clovers and stars and other lucky-charms shapes, but then they gave that up too. I’ve used the same products since high school, and I still sometimes have trouble figuring out which ones they are.
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
Kama: how grateful I am to those who invented the pill
If you really spent one-third of your vacation enjoying the benefits of the pill, I would say shame on whomever arranged your itinerary.

*Dobies the "Wake Up With the King" thread into the "Wake Up With Kama" thread*

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I started at 9, too, and I have PCOS. It didn't bother me, then. I was already a AA cup, so everyone pretty much expected it.

Stupid early puberty. I should have been 5'10''.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the period from hell. My very first period after I got married, it came earlier than expected (but since I'm not regular in the same sense that a lot of women are, this is not surprising) and I had an insufficient quantity of tampons to get me through and I was in no shape to even stand up (also usual for me), so I sent hubby to the store to get me supplies.

This is Sri Lanka. Stores here have lousy selection. Will they even have tampons? Will dh even know what to look for? Will they have my brand? What language will it be in? Would I recognize the packaging? No idea.

I gave him the most basic of information possible and sent him off. Fifteen minutes later, he was back with the right stuff. They even had my brand. You have no idea how happy I was. [Smile]

And dh? Oh yeah, he's a real man. Didn't whine or complain - just did the job. And this is, what, a mere three weeks after we got married, and a mere three weeks after we met in person for the first time. Yup. I'll keep him. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I went on a tour of the sites of ancient Rome/Greece last Feb. Just before Lent was due to start.

Well.

Athens has this crazy fesitval every year just prior to Ash Wednesday. Basically what happens is everyone dresses up in funny costumes and wanders around hitting strangers with squeaky-bats. (Silly String also acceptable.) And the whole city shuts down for a few days. The whole city.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find pads/tampons in a city of five million, when all but ten pharmacies are closed, and you don't know the city and you don't speak the language, and you don't even read the stinking alphabet??

I managed to work up the courage to ask our tour guide for help (female, thank GOD). I was terribly embarrased at not being prepared for this. She and I located one of the closed pharmacies, which had a signs in the windows saying which pharmacies would be open on which days and where they were. We got someone to identify the correct day for us, and then someone else to pronounce the street name of the nearest one. We then wandered the city for nearly an hour before we located it. Most of the people we asked for directions couldn't seem to understand that yes,w e knew they were all closed, but that we needed to find THIS ONE, because it was open.

And all the while I had nasty cramps and was totally embarrassed at dragging this poor woman all over Athens because I hadn't packed properly.

I never ever want to go through that again. Ever.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[No No] Skillery
skillery
Member # 6209

Have you ever gone to work with a panty shield that survived the wash stuck to your white shirt?

I narrowly escaped that fate just last week.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.