FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help celia clean out her closet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help celia clean out her closet
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm very tired of working on my prelim and even though I haven't finished the current draft, I am taking a break. In order to still feel productive over my break, I'm cleaning out my closet. I ask you, dear hatrack, to help me figure out what I actually need.

So, how many of the following items are "normal" to own, and in what colors?

Bathingsuits
Bras
spagetti strapped tops with built in bras
pairs of socks
jeans
pants
skirts
suits
dress pants
t-shirts
other casual tops
dress tops
collared shirts
formal dresses
casual dresses

did i forget anything? besides kinky lingerie. [Razz]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are all normal to own, in whatever colors look good.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

i seem to have eight of those tops with the built in bras just in white. that seems excessive.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should tell us more about the kinky lingerie.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap - I thought you were gonna let us have access to the books I was sure you had piled up in there.

[ October 07, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

the books are all shelved, and NO! but if you send me a nice email, i will send you a catalog. [Big Grin]

edit: of books, not lingerie. [No No]

[ October 07, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
My general rule is anything you haven't worn in two years, get rid of. Senimental things like graduation gowns and wedding dresses are exceptions.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Why Becky? How many wedding dresses do you have, anyway? [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody wears bathing suits any more. People swim nude.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Heh, I have a wedding dress and a prom dress that don't count in closet cleaning. Hmmm, I'm back down to my wedding weight, I wonder if it still fits? If I'm ever back down to prom weight, please come over and force me to eat something.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
and people listen to russell?

I think you probably only need 3 or 4 of the white spagetti strap tops. But I'm the one who has 63 pairs of shoes, and 8 are black heels, so I might not be the best to ask about cleaning out closets.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

nobody listens to russell [Smile]

ok, i agree. i'm also getting rid of 4 other bras, including the only strapless one because i hates it. why do i have any clothes that i hate?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have clothes I hate, lots of clothes I hate, but I won't throw them away unless I know I will never wear them.

You can probably get by with having 8 pairs of jeans, lots more tshirts, at least three dressy outfits.

My cat ate my only strapless bra. I could probably still wear it, just a little hole in the foam, but the idea of my cat chewing on it throws that out.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

eight? wow, i was going to try to get down to four or five. i could do eight!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I have a pair set away for each day of the week. Plus one pair of really nice jeans I wouldn't wear to school yet.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two pairs of jeans.

Eight?!? Wow.... A whole new world of jean ownership is opening up to me.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

so it's okay to have a pair of clean underwear for every day of the month? plus a few extras. [Monkeys] after weeding out two weeks worth?
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, do the vengfully short skirts fall into the standard skirt catagory? Or is there a spiteful section of clothing you forgot to mention?

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

[Embarrassed]

that is a suit. do you still have those pictures?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you can never have enough spagetti strapped tanks with built in bras, they are about my favorite thing to wear. Although 8 in white is a lot... most of mine are various shades of purple.

Suits and formalwear if they still look good on you and aren't hidiously out of style, keep. If they look good on you and are hidiously out of style, pack them away, they'll probably come back and be "vintage" soon. Anything that doesn't look good, get rid of. If it doesn't make you look fabulous it isn't worth wearing.

Casual dress, also... I spend most of the summer in sundresses, if they look good I don't think you can have too many. What I need to get rid of is t-shirts. You really, really don't need more than a couple dozen t-shirts. But keep your KamaCon one!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in having enough socks and underwear that I never have to do laundry.

I haven't reached that stage yet, but it is my goal.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

a month of underwear sounds reasonable, till you get to the point where you have dirty underwear sitting around for a month, not so cool or daisy smelling.
celia60
Member # 2039

ok, is 21 to many pairs of white socks?

10 pairs of toe socks?

and where did i even get pink socks? [Confused]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
People are still wearing clothing?

....hmmm, I should take that into consideration next time I go out.

I think you should exchange all your current wardrobe for brand new, skin tight, sexy leather clothing...it just goes well with your evil persona....and its sexy, what more could you want?

[Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
If it doesn't make you look fabulous it isn't worth wearing.

Wel, then i guess Celia is keeping everything...

And I am going nekked.

That is soooo wrong.....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I have no jeans. Yes, none. It comes as a shock to other people too.

EDIT: Celia, I can safely say you seem to have a Dobby-like sock-attracting personality. I only just recently purchased enough socks to get me through the week.

[ October 07, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's always nice when almost everything you own/care about can fit in the luggage you bring on the plane! [Big Grin]

Of course, once I buy the winter cloths I'll need here, that'll change... [Grumble] And yeah, I have to buy some new pairs of socks. I have less than 20... My advice, celia, is: KEEP ALL THE SOCKS!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Opens the "The Lucky Shopping Manual" which I bought because of Mrs. M.

They have 17 tees and tanks in the t-shirt section. Only four tanks with bras but I own more than that myself. And they are assuming you don't actually work in T-shirts. Under "Tops" which is a different section thant "Tees" they say 6 work tops, 3 fun tops and 4 weekend tops.

So "tops" plus "tees" together and they are up to 30 minimum. They reccomend 7 pairs of jeans with 3 minimum. and then the "pants" section separate from the 7 pairs of jeans, is 9 minimun, plus another 6 if you never wear skirts.

Those pants and jeans are excluding any pants that go with suits.

I'll bring this book down and loan it to you, though I think you are more trendy than I am in general and need less help.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

yeah, i have this feeling that book will make you buy more stuff and make me throw away stuff. you don't happen to be my size, do you? wanna come down saturday and go through my stuff? maybe bring me back the clothes i left there? [Razz]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

lol, I think we are actually pretty darn close to the same size in a lot of things celia. Your pants, although they are sitting in a bag in my car waiting to be delivered to you, are the exact same size I wear, and well we already discussed that we are the same size in our unmentionables.

AJ

Saturday however is the Sacred Day of the OU-TX game. Though I'm half tempted to take you up on it!

AJ

[ October 07, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

bill's out of town and me and my clothes will be all by ourselves. when's the game? you could come tomorrow and leave early saturday or come late saturday and leave on sunday.

i have alcohol. [Big Grin]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I'm starting to notice that I'm severely lacking in the clothing department.

I have enough underwear to last a week. I have tons of socks, but many have holes or are rust-colored or whatever that makes them unappealing. I have three pairs of jeans, six other slacks, probably fifteen shirts and ten sweaters, and sixteen pairs of shoes. Maybe that's how I get away with spending so little on clothing.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

ok, now i know what i'm getting you for your birthday.
Kwea
Member # 2199

hmmmm..

OJ just mentioned "unmentionables"...

And mentioned talking about them...with celia....

Please hold for a sec...

OK, nevermind....

[Evil]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

And two pairs of slacks.

One pair of topsiders, one pair of "dressy" shoes I bought at Payless Shoe Source (If it's "payless," why do they have cash registers? And why do they chase you when you take the shoes out the front door?), one pair of Reefs, and one pair of sneakers that I actually wear. (I also have a pair of Converse hightops from when I was in high school, and a ratty old pair of sneakers.) Oh, and a pair of hiking boots that haven't hardly seen the light of day since I left South Carolina. And a pair of Doc Martens I bought for a costume. I guess I have more shoes than I really need.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hmm maybe late saturday. It depends on the home improvement situation and Steve and Don. I can't have booze because I'm on antibiotics at the moment. [Frown] BUt if you want to go out I could be the designated driver!

AJ

celia60
Member # 2039

ok, give me call if it starts to look probably. as luck would have it, i just washed the bedding in the guest room earlier today.
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
jeans: 12 pair

1 good pair for each day of the week except Sunday.

plus

1 pair for working with car batteries
1 pair for gardening
1 pair for crawling under the car and changing the oil
1 pair of too big jeans for Thanksgiving
1 pair of too tight jeans
1 pair with a hole in the seat for lounging around the house

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
celia, yes I believe the pictures are still haunting my yahoo mail account.

You know you're popular when you "clean out the closet" thread is going to make two pages. Easy.

Feyd Baron, DoC

PS: And please say I'm not the only one who has thought of making a dobie titled "Help celia come out of her closet"

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Feyd, celia and I have already discussed our spooning adventures on hatrack, what more do you want?

AJ

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning out your closet [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

AJ, knowing the Baron, he probably wants a more detailed description with pictures or, if possible, video.

Before going to bed, I culled my collection of jeans down to 4 under the rule of not wearing what I don't look good in. I also got rid of all my old baggy cargo pants and khakis (which basically means i'm getting rid of all of my mens clothes). Every folded pair now fits in two dresser drawers. With a fair bit of ease, I managed to shrink down my shorts population so that now they all fit in the storage I had purchased for them. My next task will be the closet, but I have some work I want to get done before that. If AJ is actually coming, I may put that off until she's here so I'll have someone to tell me to throw away the stuff I never actually wear. [Smile]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think I probably am coming. i'll call you tonight after work.

AJ

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
celia's following my rules! [Evil Laugh] Now I gotta start coming up with some good ones...
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

I, uh, did keep every pair of pajama pants in spite of how they look because they are too practical a form of lab attire to get rid off.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
All my "stuff I wear all the time" clothes fit easily into three dresser drawers. Three pairs of jeans, maybe 15 t-shirts (short and long-sleeved), a couple of tank tops and flannel shirts, 1-2 weeks' worth of undies, three bras (I require mutant sizes and they're hella expensive, so I can't have many), and the Bales of Socks take up a whole drawer by themselves but that's because my husband and I have a communal sock drawer. I have one pair of sneakers that I wear every day, and one pair of steel-toed Big Black Stompy Boots that I wear once in a while.

Then there's the small section in the closet that has my "grown-up clothes," which I spent my graduation money on in anticipation of my first grown-up job, but wouldn't you know, my job is casual dress and I never wear those [Mad] Spent a couple extra hundred bucks having them tailored, too, because of the above-mentioned mutant proportions...ah well. One suit jacket with matching skirt and pants, one or two skirts, one or two pairs of slacks, five or six blouses, two dresses, and three pairs of dressy shoes. All of these have been sitting in the closet, still in their packing box, since I moved at the beginning of August, and the only thing I've had to unpack is one dress and pair of shoes for a funeral last month. I don't expect to be rooting around in that box again for months and months. It kind of irritates me that all that is going to waste, but I just know that as soon as I give up and send it all to Goodwill, I'll suddenly need it all again.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I clicked on the "Dresses at Nordstrom" link at the bottom of the page, and WOW! There are some gorgeous dresses there. Too bad formal dresses are something I don't need. I especially love this one.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have too many clothes. I have three pairs of jeans that I wear, plus two or three that have holes too large to wear in public but I keep in case I need to help paint somebody's house or something. I have 12 pairs of shoes, 4 of which are ones that I don't wear anymore but haven't gotten around to throwing away. I have probably 7 or 8 pairs of black or khaki casual slacks. I have a ton of shirts in my closet, but I wear almost all of them, and the ones I don't wear are either awaiting minor repairs (such as a button replacement) or have sentimental value.

My real problem is how many t-shirts I have. I don't even wear t-shirts very often anymore, but I probably have like 25 of them. Some have big holes in them, or are very faded, but I keep them anyway because they either represent some fond memory or because I think I need to have work clothes. When all of the laundry is clean I have trouble getting my t-shirt drawer closed.

Juliette is always telling me to throw stuff away, but I have trouble letting stuff go. I'm such a packrat.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

One good way to preserve Tshirts is to put them into quilt blocks and make quilts out of them. Have I ever actually gotten around to doing that? Nope.

AJ

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Several of my t-shirts from college are too vulgar to put into a quilt. They're also too vulgar for me to wear in polite company.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.