FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tell Me Your Favorite Vegetable and Why

Author Topic: Tell Me Your Favorite Vegetable and Why
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
No, really - what's your favorite vegetable and why?

For example:

I love lima beans. I like the taste and the texture, but mostly because of the warm feeling I get remembering that my mom and I were united in our liking of the tasty buggers.

I also adore cauliflower with melted cheese. That was my special birthday vegetable.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Eeeewwww!!! Lima Beans? Cauliflower???

I don't have a favorite. I like green beans, corn, and broccoli the best of all of them, I think.

I have lots of least favorites. My mom used to put soy sauce on lima beans. Ick.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love peas.
I like the juicy way they burst open when I bite into them.
I like them hot with Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette.
I like them cold in seven layer salad.
I love the smooth, pasty texture of split pea soup.
I love peas.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Does corn count as a vegetable? Cor swears it does not.

If it doesn't, then I'll go with broccoli (sp?). I love the way it tastes when steamed, and I love to dump some grated parmesan on it when it's still relatively hot.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Corn (on the cob with lots of butter), but if it dosnt count I guess I'll have to say asparagus.

And broccoli is my worst. I've had some bad experiances....

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I love okra. I like the crunchy little pieces when fried. I love the slimey texture when boiled. I like the bitter taste of the large round seeds.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
ew! Nasty slimy OKRA! [Angst]
I like corn and soft canned baby peas.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
JalapeƱos! Don't know why.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Olives. Are olives vegetables? I love olives. With warm Italian bread. And oil. Reminds me of good times in NYC.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Onions - sauteed, stuffed, in soup, in pasta.... onions go well in just about anything

If onions don't count, then spinach - I love the green and all the vitamins and the taste.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm Mushrooms!

I like all kinds - the big field ones grilled with garlic. Button mushrooms in pasta sauces. Shitake mushrooms in mushroom soup. Enoki mushrooms in stir fry. Porcini mushrooms with shaved parmesan.

Mmmmm*mm*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing that beats kohlrabi straight from the garden with some salt.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I like corn.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
artichoke. because they are good.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite vegetable is frozen. Wait, does Walt Disney count?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite vegetable would have to be the potato. I love it because it is one of the most versatile foods. I can eat it baked, mashed, broiled or fried. If baked, it can be garnished in a million ways. If mashed it can be lumpy or smooth, garlic'd, or buttered and each tiny change makes it an almost completely different dish. If broiled, it can be sprinkled with onion soup mix or brushed with olive oil. If fried it can be thin or thick cut french fries, potato chips, potato cakes, or even hash browns. You can serve it cold in delicious potato salad, or piping hot in a hundred different ways.

The potato can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner or even all three without even noticing you've eaten it for three meals if you change the method of preparing it.

And if you're not hungry, you can use a potato to make a quick "rubber stamp" for art or crafts. You can shoot it from a potato gun or even a potato cannon. You can stick tooth-picks in the side, suspend it in a glass of water, and grow a potato vine in your kitchen window.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Spinach

because it makes Popeye strong. [Cool]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the potato a vegetable?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta agree with Ben. The artichoke is wonderful. To me, it's one of the few foods that tastes like it should be bad for you, but really isn't.

A close second for me, though, is the cucumber--clean, crisp taste. It's like giving my mouth a shower. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the potato a vegetable?
Well, it's not an animal or a mineral.

quote:
vegĀ·eĀ·taĀ·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vjt-bl, vj-t-)
n.

• A plant cultivated for an edible part, such as the root of the beet, the leaf of spinach, or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower.
  • The edible part of such a plant.
  • A member of the vegetable kingdom; a plant.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Spinach... so versatile.
Onions are a close second.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite foods are fruits and vegetables (fruits more than vegetables though). My favorite would probably be asparagus these days, with kale as a close second. KarlEd's right about the potato's versatility though. If I had to choose one vegetable alone to be able to eat, it would probably be one potato or another. Sweet potato, probably, for its nutritional value.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is brussels sprouts, but we've already had a discussion about that.

I also like asparagus, cauliflower and sweet corn on the cob (which does too count) a lot.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though corn is technically a grain, it falls into the class of things that seem like a vegetable, especially when it's eaten on the cob. I think of tomatos as vegetables too, even though they're a fruit.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a tie between the potato and the cucumber. The potato is just the perfect food, for reasons already given.

The cucumber is the more traditional vegetable and it is wet and tastes good, but not too strong, and is just generally great.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met a vegetable I didn't like (well, lima beans and eggplant come close), but my favorites are fresh peas from the garden, tomatoes, brocolli, fresh green beans, and carrots. Red potatoes are absolutely to die for, and I could eat any kind of potato as its own meal. There are a lot of vegetables that, when they are good, are very, very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid. These include spinach, asparagus, onion, green pepper, and cauliflower.

Vegetables taste so rich, crisp, sweet, and interesting. I think they're my favorite food group.

[ October 08, 2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a favourite vegetable, but I have ones I am pleased to see: Asparagus, spinach, cooked tomatoes, corn (I'm counting corn and tomatoes as vegetables, even though they may or may not be), artichokes...

And what are those things that are like marrows but smaller. They are long and grow onthe ground like a pumpkin and they are delicious when fried and I cannot for the life of me remember their name!

And another thing I love but cannot remember the name of (this is terrible) are those things that taste like carrots but have the texture of potatoes.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I love mushrooms, Stuffed, on pizza, in stir fry, in soups or stews, on crispy crostini.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I love okra. It's one of my biggest comfort foods, but only when it's fried.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a "green" vegetable fan.

Pickled Okra
Asparagus
Spinach
Brussel Sprouts
Artichokes

Hmmmm.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I never cared for lima beans, I was fascinated by my experiences with them in Central America. I got to see them growing, which was cool. I was served a lima bean soup, so I got to see how they are prepared down there. First, they allow them to grow longer, so they are bigger and tougher. They don't shell/peel them -- they just snip a bit of the shell off before cooking. I still wasn't crazy about them, but it was pretty interesting.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, I forgot about pickled okra. That's good too.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

UofUguy.

Black Beans Baby!

Frijoles Fritos
Frijoles Liquado
Frijoles Enrollado
Frijoles in any way shapr or form possible...

Did you ever have Sanpopos de Mayo?

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Onions - sauteed, stuffed, in soup, in pasta.... onions go well in just about anything

If onions don't count, then spinach - I love the green and all the vitamins and the taste

You took the words out of my mouth Ludosti. I also am a big fan of Bannana squash. There is something about it that just *completes* keesh (spelling?).
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frijoles in any way shape or form possible
Just remember to crack open a window.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Yeah, CStroman, I definitely remember the black beans. They were possibly the best thing about Guatemalan cuisine, which is a good thing since they were also the most common thing in Guatemalan cuisine.

I thought frijoles licuados were okay, but only if you had a lot of pan frances to mop them up.

My favorites were, I think, called frijoles volteados, which were really just what we would call refried. They were good with anything. The best was frijoles volteados with fried platanos. Yum!

In Honduras, I liked them with flour tortillas with crema/mantequilla (in which form they're called valeadas), but I don't remember ever getting flour tortillas in Guatemala.

And no, I don't believe I ever had Sanpopos de Mayo. I have no idea what that is.

[ October 08, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, spinach in quiche (I think it's a french word, which explains why it is spelled so weirdly) is wonderful!!

I can't believe I forgot mushrooms!!! They are so varied and so versatile!

And you know - onions and spinach and mushrooms all go really well together! Mmmmmmm *drools*

[ October 08, 2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Sanpopos de Mayo are "May Ants". The large ants that the indigenous people would capture and fry up and eat. They were big ants. I never had them or Iguana (which are eaten as well) but knew Missionaries who had.

Ahhh platanos. Ever have the red bananas?

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I always kind of wanted to try iguana, but never got the chance. Of course, not being a vegetable, it doesn't have a place in this thread.

Never had ants. Also not a vegetable.

I did have the red bananas, and thought they were nothing special. Nor were the small, fat bananas that they called manzanos. (Not to be confused, of course, with manzanas.) I basically just like the normal bananas (guineos) and the platanos, either fried or boiled, but preferably fried.

[ October 08, 2004, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
Lettuce is a Veg
Leafy juicy and crispy
Lettuce have it now

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I do love a good salad. I should eat more of them because they are healthy.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with KarlEd on the virtues and joys of the potato.

But eggplant is a close second.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Oh and my favorite "vegetable" is this kid named.....

Nevermind, that's not kosher.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrots. Raw or cooked, I love them. With no dressing or anything. Just the carrots.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I must protest the labeling of mushrooms as a vegetable. They are not even plants!

My favorite vegetable... green beans, probably.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Danzig.

[Angst]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I have never consciously eaten one, my favorite vegetable is cumquat.

It just makes me feel dirty for thinking it, let alone saying it. [Eek!]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A kumquat is like a miniature orange; except you don't haft peel them, you can eat them whole.

[ October 09, 2004, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think of tomatos as vegetables too, even though they're a fruit.
According to my 7-year-old sister, a tomato is "a fruit in a book, but a vegetable in your mouth."

My favorite would have to be fresh green beans. Or Chinese string beans. Nope - actually, peas out of the garden. Mmm....boy!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.