FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » a writing poll

Author Topic: a writing poll
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because I'm curious . . .

1. What is your job?
2. Do you ever have to write for work (emails, proposals, etc.)?
3. In what forms do you most regularly have to write for work?
4. Do you feel like you had the writing skills to succeed in your line of work when you started your job?

I don't only want people who write for a living to respond. From firefighters to waitresses to stay-at-home moms to people who own their own businesses, I'm curious about what you wish you had known writing-wise (if anything) before you got thrown into the real world.

[ October 09, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Brinestone ]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So I suppose talentless hacks without a job don't really apply.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
1. What is your job?
I analyze traffic safety data -- crash reports collected in giant databases where each record is a crash, a vehicle or a person (driver and/or victim). I also advise state & federal agencies on how to collect better (more reliable and more useful) data about traffic safety. That gets into roadway data, driver & vehicle data (licensing, registration, history of convictions or crashes), medical data for trauma victims, etc.

Constantly. My peak output is approximately 100 pages a week, but more average is about 1/2 that.

The bulk is e-mail communication punctuated by a major deliverable ranging from 20 to 200 pages, depending on what the project is.

Proposals are a less frequent thing but when we write them they are also long and highly technical.

4. Do you feel like you had the writing skills to succeed in your line of work when you started your job?
When I first started in traffic safety, I was already a good writer. I have improved since then. Technical writing in this field is generally of poor quality, but I work with folks who are really good at it and who value the quality of writing as a way to set our company apart from the others in the field.

Having said that, I have on occassion writtem some rather lackluster reports. I still cringe over some of them. Not because the data are bad or the conclusions are something I would prefer not to endorse now, but because some of the writing is unclear.

I tend to be a very poor editor of my own work. Fact checking is easy. Spotting and correcting the run-on sentences or other aspects of it that could make the report more eloquent is another matter.

That's why we always work in a group. My boss, the other people who worked on the project, and we have a tech writer/proofreader/software expert to make sure all the formatting and grammar mistakes are caught.

It takes a long time to get a deliverable through the entire process. But, again, it makes us different from our competitors.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
1. What is your job?

I kill commies for mommy [Big Grin] . No, I turn valves and play with steam turbines and pumps.

Yes, training reports, precepts letters, and other stupid stuff.

Microsft Office. Memo style.

I was able to write decently well since high school. Not the grammer stuff, but the other stuff yes. It was once recommended I take a creative writing course in college because of a short story I wrote. Most of my memos are fill in the blank type stuff so any body could be able to fill one out in a matter of minutes. It is being able to use all the resources availabe that make the difference. The only reason I was moved to the office was because I utilized all the resources I had to get the information I needed. And if all else fails.....scam it and hope you're good to go. [Wink]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bob and Stan the Man. I want to hear from more of you, even if your answer to question 1 is no. I'll be teaching soon, and it's my firm belief that real-world writing should be taught more in schools. However, I only have a vague idea of what real people in the real world are writing, so I'm asking you good people.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a grad student, so I mainly write computer programs. However, I do occasionally need to convince people that I've been doing actual work lately; then I write presentations, using LaTex and emacs. (Death to the Evil Empire!) I've also written a thesis, and will need to write another. Then there's articles for scientific journals.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I’m a United Methodist pastor.

2. Yes

3. I write sermons, articles for the church newsletter, and an occasional newspaper column. Sermons are a little different, since they’re written to be spoken and heard rather than read – but I do write mine out, 1200-1800 words a week. Right now I’m also writing curriculum for an adult Bible study, which may or may not end up being used by other churches.

4. I was lucky enough to have an incredibly good writing teacher in college – the kind that all the smart kids in the class (including me) hated at first because she took the type of essays that our previous teachers had always raved about and ripped them to shreds. It was a hideous year, but we were all much better writers at the end of it. Thanks Ms Baldwin! [Wave]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
1. What is your job?

I'm a translator for a construction company

I very rarely "create" anything. If I do, it's a "please find enclosed" kind of letter/e-mail. I do, however, translate lots of correspondence, offers, reports, memos, minuts of meetings etc.

see above reply

Now, that depends. A lot of incoming correspondence is crap, written by people who don't really know what they're doing. We recently got a letter from an angry subonctractor, in which he said that: "[the representative of our company] woke up from his dream and asked for a meeting ... and that they had to to a lot of "sightseeing tours" instead of actual site inspections".

The reports/offers would be difficult at the beginning, but once I've learned the way they're done, they're pretty easy.

However, the correspondence between ourselves and our supervision is a totally different story. It's not only a completely diffferent style of writing, but an entirely new discipline. I learn something new every time I translate a letter into Polish. See, you have to be very careful with your words here. You want to be harsh, but not insulting. Or you want to sound respectful, but not kissing their behinds. A well-written letter is like a gem. You can read it multiple times and smile and smile and smile and admire how beautiful it is. And i'm not even exaggerating too much right now [Smile]

(I did have the necessary translation skills needed for the job, due to very intense training at the university, but that was not really the question)

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
1. What is your job?
1a. school secretary
1b. high school science teacher

Yep, lots.

3a. Memos to staff, letters to students/teachers/parents/donors, behavior report summaries, lists, and assorted other paperwork.
3b. Lesson plans, student project outlines, homework assignments, tests.

For the most part yes, although I pick up new skills on an ongoing basis. However, I did have to refresh my memory on the basic rules of formal letter writing (and then discard those which this workplace seems to ignore [Roll Eyes] ) when I started doing office work. I also could have used a "Tricks of Using Microsoft Word" refresher course.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
What is your job?
I am a Developmental English instructor at a local tech college.

Do you ever have to write for work?
Yes, every single day. I write worksheets for my students and create handouts that allow them to learn more about---writing, of course! [Razz]

quote:
In what forms do you most regularly have to write for work?
Let's see--handouts, on the board in class. I also have to create reports and presentations for students and teachers.

quote:
Do you feel like you had the writing skills to succeed in your line of work when you started your job?
Absolutely! I have been writing in some form or fashion since I was eleven. The cool thing is that as I've been able to adapt and learn many different ways to commmunicate in writing over the years. So it really doesn't matter what position I hold because I can adapt and write in whatever field I'm in at the time. [Cool]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Kama, I know what you mean about well-written letters. It's an amazingly hard thing to not offend people, especially when they're angry and being stupid to begin with. I answered emails from students who found (or thought they found) errors and typos in Independent Study's courses. It was the hardest when parents (especially parents with PhDs) emailed me angry about how much trouble the typos were causing their children. But when you sent that golden email and don't hear from the parent again, it's downright euphoria. [Smile]
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I register patients in a hospital ER. In other words, data entry.
2. The only real writing I do is emails telling my supervisors how stupid people are.
3. See #2
4. I have a degree in journalism. It comes in handy when my coworkers are writing scathing emails of their own and need someone to make them sound professional.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
1. What is your job?
I am a senior writer in a large corporate creative department.

Writing is the reason they hired me [Smile]

Pretty much anything they need. I do everything from short ad headlines for products to the company's annual report. I am currently on a team that is primarily responsible for corporate-oriented communication rather than product-specific stuff, but I've done it all. Whatever communication/marketing needs anyone in the company has, it comes through us.

Barely. I think my editing skills got me the job in the first place. I used to quake in my shoes when I was handed a long project because I had no idea how to start. Now I'm quite a bit more confident. I think I would go back to being nervous again if I had to switch to an independent ad agency or some other high-strung job. Part of getting comfortable has been figuring out what individual clients want, how much I can fudge deadlines, and then trying to nail it the first time.

I am nowhere close to being a really good writer, but I'm not a bad writer and I'm learning. I come face-to-face with my limitations every day.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.