FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Indiana Camping Thing Details (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Indiana Camping Thing Details
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Here be the belated details coming out of the meeting.

First, money. Covering the campsite fees, miscellaneous materials, and food will be pretty cheap, we're looking to get $10/person from those staying overnight and $5/person from those staying just for the days. Note that this is not per day, this is total, and small children are exempted.

If you want to park at the camp site, you have to pay a $4-$5 per day (resident or non-resident of Indiana) gate pass for the park. However, we have access to a good number of fairly nearby free parking spaces (not walking distances, but a short drive) if people don't mind carpooling in (and several of us local people have yearly gate passes).

Assuming you arrive after lunch on friday, you will need enough money for 1 or 2 meals (mainly lunch on saturday), but other than that food should be pretty much taken care of.

If you've got access to a tent you like, bring it. If not, we've got plenty. Tyler will be bringing 6 tents, which sleep 2 people per with plenty of room. I realized just now one thing we didn't cover is bedding supplies. Bring your own (sleeping bags are good), but if you can't for transportation reasons, we'll have extra.

If you want to arrive before 11am on friday, talk to us (you can hang out with some bloomington people [Wink] ), that's when we'll be moving into the sites. Call a cell (we'll make sure everyone has some numbers) if you need directions or such as you approach.

If you don't have cell phone numbers and want them, email me at fugu13 [AT] mac [DOT] com. My cell phone number is (812) 360-6911.

Schedule:

We will be doing a hamburger/hot dog type grill friday evening. In the middle of the day Saturday we will be doing the scavenger hunt, which includes lunch, and is intended to let groups sight-see a bit around bloomington. In the evening on Saturday we will have steaks. Sunday is pretty unscheduled. There will be games of all sorts available throughout, lots of possible outings as people are interested, and quite likely a running Assassins game. The schedule is intentionally pretty loose.

Email me about specific dietary requirements if you have such, we'll have food for everybody's tastes. Including s'mores.

If you have any updates on your status, or even if you don't, it would be good to post in this thread whether or not you're coming [Smile] .

If you have a digital camera, bring it, we'll be using them on the scavenger hunt.

If you want to stay an extra night (Sunday night), we can either arrange places to stay (we have plenty) or those hanging around can book a camp site for an extra night (a whole $13 to $19, total).

Ask questions or whatever in this thread, too [Smile] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

For some reason I can't see this on the front page, only in my latest posts. Oh well, here's a bump, which will hopefully put it where it should be.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks fugu! We are here to answer questions. And I have room in my house sunday night for a single female, if needed.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds cool
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be there (daytimes), but what dates is it exactly again?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
friday october 22nd, through sunday october 24th, most interesting stuff on saturday.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is sticking around Sunday night, I will drop by as soon as I get back to Bloomington.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

we have made the fee 15 for staying the two nights, and 8 for daytime people, there was a miscommunication in fees. Sorry for any inconvenience
fugu13
Member # 2859

*kabump*
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
was wondering how you were going to afford the steaks...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think fugu addresed it, and I wasn't totally paying attention at the meeting when it was discussed (one of my friend's walked up) but I think they are venison, that RHAEGAR (wow I spelled it right) shot.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Actually, the steaks are free, the costs of the campgrounds just are higher than thought at the meeting.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Free? That's impressive, how'd you score those?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

you probably don't want to know, but I posted it above.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
someone hit a deer on the side of the road?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

No, Rhaegar hunts. He's had these in deep freeze since last hunting season, but a new hunting season is coming up soon so he'd like to use them.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

I'm NOT coming. Y'hear? You'll have to have this WITHOUT me, and be MISERABLE about it too!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

So they are vennison steaks? I hate to say it, but not everyone has a taste for vennison. Would I offend if I opted out and had a hot dog instead?

AJ

fugu13
Member # 2859

Not a problem. We'll also likely have materials to fix them in many fashions, such as kebabs and such, so you could always have a nice veggie kebab instead.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, I'll probably bring a few packages of boneless skinless chicken breast, and some skewers, so those who don't want to eat venison can have chicken on Saturday night. [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Can everyone let us know your approximate arrival time. I think we are just going to meet at the campsite, unless you don't want to pay the entrance fee, in which case, call one of our cell phones and someone local will get you directions to somewhere to park, and come pick you up (yes we have several close spots to park). Email me for my cell phone number, I'll be at the campsite starting around noon friday the 22nd. sar_bear37 at hotmail dot com (remove spaces and stuff)

I'm going to continue looking for an address for paynetown, so you can mapquest it, but right now I am having phone book issues.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

If none of us get back to you in the next day or two, mapquest 4855 S. State Road 446, Bloomington Indiana. This right across the road from where you turn into the campground, there should be signs.

For bloomington people, this is The Fishin Shedd (or whatever it's called).

Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
So we meet at the fishin shed? or the camground?
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

we meet at the campground, I couldn't find the address for it, so I got somewhere that made it easy to find the campground from, but if you don't want to pay, we'll meet and take you somewhere to park (like your house, rhaegar)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Did anyone realize that the campout weekend is when daylight savings time shifts?

http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html is a cool article.

I never can remember though. This is when we get an extra hour of sleep right?

AJ

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Indiana doesn't have daylight savings time.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

blacwolve, parts of the state do. Gary, IN is always in the same time zone as Chicago.

See Shelia's post halfway down this page.
http://www.galacticcactus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35&st=0

AJ

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
My hometown of Newburgh, Indiana (right next to the city of Evansville in the Southwestern corner tip), also observes Daylight Savings Time. See the nifty map here.

"Spring forward" & "Fall back." Since it is fall, what would have been 6am will now revert back to 5am. Thus, an extra hour of sleep.

In the spring, what would have been 6am will revert forwards to 7am. Sleep lost. [Frown]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yeah some of the very edges of the state do, but here in the middle (or south of the middle) we don't. So you guys get to live an extra day of our time. But looking at my calendar, it says daylight savings time ends on the 31st. Hmmm that's annoying that it's wrong.
Stray
Member # 4056

I believe DST ends the last Sunday in October, so yeah, that'd be the 31st.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

wow no it's right and I'm wrong. If it is the Last sunday in October than the last sunday in October is the 31st. I just realized my work calendar I was looking at just has the 31s in the "November" block.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh yay! Would it have affected much if it was our weekend?
Stray
Member # 4056

Probably not, I suppose, since Bloomington time doesn't change ever. Perhaps people from farther away would have had to adjust their departure times in order to get home when they wanted to.

[Edit] Nope, not even that, since everywhere else around us is gaining an hour, not losing one.

[ October 14, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Stray ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

oh ok
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's sunday, the campout starts on Friday, is everyone ready? Let me know if you need more directions or anything. Also we are trying to make a list of when everyone is arriving just so we can tell the people at the gate. Don't forget there is a 4 or 5 dollar gate charge. Email fugu or I for cell phone numbers.

my email has changed to breyerchic04 at gmail dot com but you can still email the old one.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Here is the list of people who have said they are coming, if they aren't please let me know.

Yes
Kara
Tyler
Russell
Sarah
AJ
space opera and husband
jenny g +2
Fiazko (has actually emailed me)
Danzig
Rhager
Fiona

Maybe
daniel
happy camper
toretha
snow

Daytime
Megan
Celia
Goody and kids
stray

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's tuesday! The lake is about 50 degrees, the air is supposed to be in the 60's or 70s all weekend, with lows in the low fifties. Let us know when you'll be there.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
this one's going to be sans celia due to exams. have fun.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

we'll miss you celia!
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Opera and I have to cancel. [Frown] My in-laws want to visit this weekend in order to celebrate our upcoming birthdays. I'd reschedule, but since they live four hours away they don't get to come down very often.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We will miss you space opera and Mr. Opera
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be arriving sometime in the middle of Saturday morning. I get off work at 6 am, so I am thinking about 10 am, give or take an hour.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Will you need someone to pick you up?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yay, call fugu's cell phone if you need anything.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The main thing I can stress right now, about finding us, is call a cell phone so we can get you the official campsite numbesrs. Email me for cell phone #s other than fugu's if you want them, since we all have different service plans so might be able to get reception in different areas of the campsite.

breyerchic04 at gmail dot com

Oh and prepare for little bits of rain, 40's lows 60s highs, mud from previous rain, and leaves everywhere.

[ October 21, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been out to our sites and the mud factor is mininal... My cell will work there, but most do not... My # is 812-320-4506... I'm going out tonight... so I'll be there all day....
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Stryker, I emailed you that list. Thanks for posting your cell #
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We're a definite for Saturday daytime, I'm not sure of travel times yet but probably arriving noon-ish. Is there anything that someone would like us to bring? Beverages? Munchies? Baked goods? Condiments?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I can't think of anything, but we will call if we do.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't think we will be arriving til 8 or 9pm tonight given scheduling.

AJ

[ October 22, 2004, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.