FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Losing Superman

Author Topic: Losing Superman
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Reeve passed away, apparently of heart failure.

I adored the first movie as a child--broke my arm trying to fly.

Sad to lose him.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: never mind. Weird browser tricks, I guess. Or ghosts.

[ October 11, 2004, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing.

Did somebody respond and then delete?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason my post did not show up for two minutes. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I am incredibly sad.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Funny that there should be a thread about hope at this very time. For years he was hope made flesh for so many. And still, he's no less inspirational than he was yesterday.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Wow. He was such a perfect Superman--the Superman to top all Supermen. He will always be "the real Superman" to me. [Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in: [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad. To survive that accident with such a high fracture, and start to move just a little again, only to die of an infection. [Frown]

Goodbye, Christopher Reeve.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
at least he got to be in smallville [Big Grin]

go fly now man, i'm sure you can [Big Grin]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Both Rodney Dangerfield and Christopher Reeve in the same week?

That's just not fair. [Frown]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I was wondering who would be third.

Fare thee well, Christopher.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Frown]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
OH man...I didn't know that. [Frown]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbeLinclon
Member # 6923

- posted      Profile for AbeLinclon   Email AbeLinclon         Edit/Delete Post 
Noo I think Superman was one of the greatest movies of all time I have everyone of them. Of course only Christopher played it the best...
Nooooo!!! [Eek!] [Angst] [Wall Bash] [Cry] [Frown]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Funny that there should be a thread about hope at this very time. For years he was hope made flesh for so many. And still, he's no less inspirational than he was yesterday."

My thoughts, exactly, BtL. He was far more heroic in his life than the character he portrayed.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Reeve survived the accident because of how strong of an advocate he could be. And perhaps his share of the work is done now and he can enjoy his rewards.

Thanks for the fun, and thanks for bringing something to the national attention Mr. Reeve. You could have given up nine years ago, but you decided to live for a lot of folks you never knew.

Safe journeys and thanks for showing us that what makes the man super isn't the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] indeed.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Reeve was the real Superman, and now Superman is dead. There will never be another. [Frown]

[ October 11, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
So true Sopwith, I always hold a great respect for those who fight against the odds for the better. Good-bye Mr. Reeve, you have your wings now... Fly on.

[Frown]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I don't find myself particularly moved when celebrities die, but this one left me feeling quite sad when I heard last night.

The Foundation for a Better Life has been running a series of billboards since 9/11. Some strike me as a little cheesy, but this one still gets me a little choked up.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this man will fly now.

Fare well man and superman.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read an article about him last night in Reader's Digest. They talked about how he was in and out of the hospital due to infections.

I figured, ah, he'll put through. He's an ass kicker.

I guess he's ass kicking in other places now. But he's an example of a real hero. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Now we'll never know where that watch in Somewhere In Time came from.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Alone I'm thinking -
Why is superman dead?
Is it in my head?
We'll just laugh instead...

[Frown]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
He actually did kick some... I heard this morning that his life expectancy after the accident was something like 7 years and he lived beyond that (and was so very productive, not just for his chosen initiatives but also for his chosen craft, film and television). He will be missed.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This made me so sad. I wish his family peace.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- has never seen superman. Nevertheless I did respect him for his advocacy work!
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
/me is shocked.

I thought EVERYBODY had seen at least ONE of the Superman movies.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I had the underoos. For awhile, Superman was more influential in my eight year old mind than Star Wars.

For awhile.

---
Yesterday when I went to put on a dress shirt for church, I glanced down and saw the Geoffrey Beene label. I don't know much about his career or his hidh-end designs, but I do know that Geoffrey Beene shirts have always been good quality and looked great and on sale are usually less expensive than the other designer shirts out there [I get mine at Ross and Marshall's].

Oh and let's not forget Richard Avedon, Janet Leigh and Jaques Derrida. That's some pretty good company for Reeves to hang out with in heaven's waiting room.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, were you the one who saw "Fiddler" and was disappointed? It's probably too late for you to see Superman now.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have Superman underthings. I'm wearin' 'em now. Didn't know he was gone when I dressed this morning. Sort of an interesting coincidence.

Banna, you must see Superman, really. Except for having Margot Kidder in them, they were great. Loved Somewhere in Time, too, even though it was sappy. People used to tell me I looked like that actress.

He really was a hero. He fought so hard. [Frown] Maybe it was just time for him to rest. [Frown]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk of Reeve in heaven's waiting room has me chuckling. Reeve was an atheist.

And as per the atheism thread: He doesn't get to say "I told you so."

What gets me choked up is his consideration of suicide, briefly after the accident. I know I've been there, for different reasons, and I know it's something I could never consider again, because this life is the only one I believe in. Here is where we've got to make it count. And he sure did.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell everybody Waitin' for Superman
That they should try to hold on the best they can
He hasn't dropped them, Forgot them, Or anything
It's just too heavy for Superman to lift...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.